VISAS LODGED April/May 2017

Karools

We went for our medicals today- so glad that is over. I was unnecessarily anxious about it, and it ended up being a breeze. The doctors at Hatmed were very professional and really put us at ease 

Our CO made contact on 15/05, and requested our PCC's (agents should have that back by now), medicals (done today) and another copy of hubby's qualification

It is a very surreal feeling to be at the point now where there is absolutely nothing left to do but wait...:wacko: Hopefully the wait is not too long

Life in limbo (yay)

• Like 2

Yeah @JaxBaker83 the medicals are super basic. My son had a slight heart murmur which we knew about and knew it was innocent, but were still requested to submit our cardiologist report on it, no probs otherwise. 

CO contact 7 days after submitting? Is it that quick because of the visa type do you think? (190 vs 189) Or are you just THAT good of a migrant? :) 

We submitted PCC's today, as well as two kids' birth certificates which were somehow omitted earlier, luckily CO has not been assigned yet so we haven't lost any time due to that.

Holding thumbs the slow-down doesn't affect us all too badly.

@Karools

I have no idea why it happened so quickly- maybe because its a 190, or maybe because of the occupation and the relevant ceilings/quotas? Its actually inconvenient because I was hoping to have the medicals done before CO contact, but now it goes to the back of the queue for another 28 days (not sure if that's really the case, but that is how I understand it). Still waiting for our PCC's but as soon as we get that back we'll upload and resume waiting.

Feel like my heart is sitting in my throat all the time. I don't know how all the people before us have handled this wait, and the uncertainty. Can't make any plans or decisions pending an outcome; and I'm still worried that something will go wrong at this late stage

@JulesR: any word from Vetassess yet? Really holding thumbs for you!

1 hour ago, JaxBaker83 said:

@JulesR: any word from Vetassess yet? Really holding thumbs for you!

Hi @JaxBaker83  Vetassess is teaching me patience in the worst possible way.  I'd been logging in on a daily basis (well, erm, multiple times a day :blush:) using my migration agents details (he had given them to me).  This morning, when I tried to log in, I got a message saying the password was incorrect.  I eventually managed to phone them and they told me that my assessment had been completed (:ilikeit:) but she couldn't give me any further info.  She said I needed to download my report.  She was able to tell me that my agent had requested a password reset earlier, though, explaining my difficulty to log in.  

I then phoned my agent who told me that he had been battling to log in as well, and had indeed requested a password reset.  But he wasn't close to email so couldn't tell me what the password was.  And that he'd only be able to log in TOMORROW MORNING to check my assessment.  Aaarghhh :blink:

I am beside myself with anxiety to know my results!!!!!

Oh no @JulesR, that must be so infuriating! Just to know that it has eventually been finalised, but being unable to check the result- you must be beside yourself!!! So close yet so far. I really hope that you get the result you are looking for :o

• Like 1

Maybe tomorrow I'll have good news!!  Let's hope I can sleep tonight!

• Like 1

@JulesR really hope you get your good news soon.

• Like 1

@JulesR Our agent received an email with my Vetassess outcome. Sure yours will be positive. Progress.

@JaxBaker83 Yes, the waiting and being in limbo is incredibly difficult. Our wait was 4 months to the day of lodging our visa. I wish I could give you some practical tips on how to deal with this. I could say "focus on gratitude and be present in each moment". The thing is, even though doing this is useful and good for your general wellbeing, the wait is still hard. The logging onto your immi account every morning is still hard. The self-doubt and imagining everything that can go wrong is still hard. The not being able to make any major decisions is still hard. And yet, sometimes the anticipation is the most exciting part :D

You will look back at this time and be amazed at your patience and resilience. You got this! 

• Like 2

Just spoke to a close friend regarding the time it took him and his wife to get their 189 visas approved in 2016/2017. 

Lodged 10 nov 2016

case officer assigned 5 dec 2016

visa granted 13 jan 2017

So around 2 months from aplication to visa issued. Not sure if this is a good benchmark since things might have slowed down some since then. But we are keeping positive. 

my wifes brother also received a 189 visa in 2014. It took them about 4 months. He actually followed up with dibp since they were waiting so long and a week later the visa was granted. Not sure if that works in all cases. His agent advised against contacting the dibp directly. but it seemed to work for him. I porbbably wont do that unless its getting to 6 months. Maybe. 

I am so relieved!!! My skills assessment has FINALLY come through :ilikeit:  And it's positive :ilikeit:

Now I can submit my EOI - whoop whoop!!

• Like 7

That's wonderful news @JulesR! !! So very happy for you. Now you can lodge. You must be over the moon with relief! 

Just come crashing down to reality.  I qualify with 65 points for 190 and 70 points for 489.  Only problem is:

1. NSW, Vic, WA -  I'm not on their skills list 
  2. NT and Queensland have temporarily suspended their 190 and 489 applications
  3. SA - I need 85 points for 190/489
  4. Tas - I need a job offer for 190/489

Bleak :(

On the positive skills assessment - Yay you!!!!! @JulesR that is fantastic news! Hope you have your invitation in time.

oh dear just seen your latest update...! don't lose hope.  Stay positive!

Edited by MichKen
Updated
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JulesR said:

Just come crashing down to reality.  I qualify with 65 points for 190 and 70 points for 489.  Only problem is:

1. NSW, Vic, WA -  I'm not on their skills list 
  2. NT and Queensland have temporarily suspended their 190 and 489 applications
  3. SA - I need 85 points for 190/489
  4. Tas - I need a job offer for 190/489

Bleak :(

It's bleak yes, but the whole visa process is all about patience and perseverance. In July DIBP and states will announce their 2017/2018 requirements. Deep breathes.... 

• Like 1

@Karools - sadly 189 is not an option.  I'm not on the MLTSSL (prev SOL) list (required for 189).  My occupation is on the STSOL (prev CSOL) list so I can't even apply for the 4yr 457.     

If I wait until Oct, my years of relevant work experience moves from the 5+ yrs category to 8+ yrs, giving me an extra 5 points, so while I would have lost all age points by then, I could still qualify for a 489 (I think!).  

My migration agent is going to speak to a possible employer about sponsorship on Monday.  I applied for a position a few months back, and they responded with interest, but then when they realised that I didn't yet have a visa they told me that they would not pursue my application further because of the time involved.  However, they have still not filled the position since it is still being advertised.  It is a small glimmer of hope.  I'm holding on to it for now.  

• Like 1

@JulesR not sure when your birthday is, but if you have 70 points for 489 now, what are your points in July when they reopen in those areas? I'm sure there will still be a way!

8 hours ago, MichKen said:

@JulesR not sure when your birthday is, but if you have 70 points for 489 now, what are your points in July

Hi @MichKen.  Birthday is 30 May so all age points are down the tube after that! :(

So in July I'll be on 55 points for 489, but then in Oct I should move from 10 points for work experience (5yr+ category) to 15 points (8yr+ category), so that will take me up to 60.  Eish...  too much of stress.  

11 minutes ago, JulesR said:

Hi @MichKen.  Birthday is 30 May so all age points are down the tube after that! :(

So in July I'll be on 55 points for 489, but then in Oct I should move from 10 points for work experience (5yr+ category) to 15 points (8yr+ category), so that will take me up to 60.  Eish...  too much of stress.  

Oops - don't know how I managed to duplicate this post.

Edited by JulesR
duplicate post

4 hours ago, JulesR said:

In my opinion it would be better to pursue the 489 visa if the 190 is not an option. I am not an agent so can only share my experience. The 489 seems to have a more clear path to PR, the 457 visas just seem so risky with all that has been happening lately.

I lost all age points so the 489 was the only option when I applied at the age of 46, but it meant I needed to get max points for qualifications, experience and English. I remember all the stress back then but it was so worth it and we are happy here, so good luck to you and I am sure you will find a way. It generally gets very slow at this time of year and then visas get granted early July as ours did. Hopefully the options will also open up with regard to skills lists and quotas

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, @TakeItOnTheChin.  I am tending to agree with you - I'd like to stay away from 457, especially since my occupation won't qualify me for the 4 year option.  Unless I can secure a job offer, 489 is definitely my next option.  It's unreal the stress this process causes - am trying to stay positive and hopeful :)

2 minutes ago, JulesR said:

Thanks for the advice, @TakeItOnTheChin.  I am tending to agree with you - I'd like to stay away from 457, especially since my occupation won't qualify me for the 4 year option.  Unless I can secure a job offer, 489 is definitely my next option.  It's unreal the stress this process causes - am trying to stay positive and hopeful :)

It is stressful because it becomes a part of your everyday thinking. Everyday you are either planning, thinking about or waiting for something with regard anything to do with the visa, your life revolves around it. Reason being is that the visa is important to you and your family. The day it gets granted is like a massive weight off you shoulders......................but then you need to go on holiday and switch off the brain. It feels like I am recovering from a brain injury almost a year after the grant haha!

• Like 4