IT Jobs in Adelaide

KenMich

I am in need of some job contacts in the Adelaide area and maybe some tips on catching the attention of some potential employers.

I'm coming over on a 489 and have a wide variety of skills.

Over the years I worked as a Unix System administrator, Network administrator, Assistant IT Manager and Project Manager before I started working for myself. I completed a MCSE on NT4 many years ago. I am Molex certified as well.

My most recent skills involve Wireless point to point links and AP's. I have a lot of experience with the Ubiquiti and Tenda wireless products. I also have many years of CCTV experience on IP and Analogue systems with remote monitoring setups.

I don't really know if these are sought after skills in Australia maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

KenMich

I'll pass this info on to some people I know.

About 20% of the membership (150)  of my church is South African.

Somebody may know somebody.

Unfortunately, South Australia is undergoing a slowing down in some areas of the state economy.

Western Australia, with the mining boom of 30 years coming to an end, and a change in government with the new party in power wanting jobs to be almost exclusively for Western Australians, that puts one part of Australia out of the market for jobs and immigration to a large extent.

Anyhow, there is always hope.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob I would really appreciate that. Could I inbox you my LinkedIn profile link?

Regards Ken

I assume most CCTV installers ( and point to point installers) would run their own businesses. So, you could work for an established tradie.. but you would be in an apprentise type role (and not paid well). 

You may also need paper work to do the job, for example you would need a white card to work on construction sites. I am not sure what other kinds of certification you would need.  his country is mad on paperwork... you need an "confined space permit" to climb down a manhole!

You might be better off going back into network administration and working for a company for a while. If you pick one in the construction industry, warehousing, etc... you might be alble to talk to other tradies and get advise on starting your own business  (like how to find clients).

There is a peice of advise we give out a lot here that certanly applies to you... go to www.seek.com.au and look for a few jobs you think you could do. If you see things like, Amazon Web Services comming up frequently and you have no experience with it.. you might want to set up a free account and play around with it... or even better do a certification. But always look for buzz words that go together.. for example there is no point in doing a certification on managing dell servers and one on AWS. If a company is hiring you that relies heavily on Amazon Web Services, they won't care you know dell servers.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1