Contributory Parent 143 Visa Support group

Elna57

@Erzsi

Although we've already been here for about 2 1/2 years I could give you my opinion. It seems you are doing the application for your parent/s. 

1. Yes you can do the visa application yourself if you are prepared to do all the research. My daughter in Aus helped us a bit with extra general information but otherwise I did all the research for our visa. I was the applicant and my wife was the spouse.

2. On my last visitors visa the number was V000<0000000c1{my surname}<<{my name}<{second name initial}<<<<<<

This was a paper visa issued in 2013.

3. Yes it seems that you will have to give all the detail. They ask for it, so give it. Be as thorough as you can with everything relating to the visa.

4. I can't remember if we had to do Form 47A (I don't think so), but all other paperwork that my children had to sign I emailed them and they emailed it back signed. 

Hope someone later in the queue can help you better. All the best!

Hi Dirkz 

THANK YOU so much for your reply, helps greatly.

We are applying for ourselves.  Our Son and Daughter in law live in Australia, they got their PR last year and we are hoping to join them in the near future, hence, us applying now.

You are very kind in giving you advice / suggestions to those on the forum as this is quite 'daunting' 

Will keep you up to date with the progress.

Have a good day 'Mate' and hope to be there in the near future too.

Hi, myself and my husband applied about 20 months ago. We though about using an Agent but when we saw the cost we decided to do it ourselves.

It wasn’t too difficult.  We put a weekend aside and focused on the application. 
One thing we would do differently - we  live in Umhlanga and we wasted a almost a year getting all of our unabridged certificates from Home Affairs in Durban. My advice - send what you’ve got and add documents as you receive them from Home Affairs.

Also answer every question honestly so there are no problems ahead 🙂

Best wishes

Carole

@Erzsi 

1.  We went through an agent but during the process of getting all the docs together,  I thought I should have done it alone.  Now I'm glad I went through an agent as he picked up a date in our application was different to a date in one of the documents.  I thought I had checked everything thoroughly.  If you dont use an agent,  just get someone else to double check everything for you.

2.  If you havent already submitted the forms, I also noticed that the visa number didnt fit the form so I just added it at the end in the additional information page.

4.  My son emailed the signed forms to me.

We got acknowledgement today that our application has been lodged and I'm so excitied, you'd think I've got the visa already lol.

Good luck and let us know when you lodge.

If my mom comes to stay with us in Melbourne on a 5 year visa - can she bring her furniture? She is in the Que for a parental visa, but in the meantime I'm looking at the 5 year temporary visa. Can you bring furniture in without a PR visa? 

Edited by Mel-B

• 2 weeks later...

"Existing permanent Parent visa arrangements are not affected by the introduction of the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. However, a parent cannot apply for a permanent Parent visa while holding a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa."

Hi Tee, please explain to me. If my mom is waiting for her 143 currently (another 4 years to wait), and she applies for the 870 visa for 5 years, does the 870 cancel or affect the 143 application in any way? @TeeTMI

On 2/29/2020 at 6:22 PM, Mel-B said:

"Existing permanent Parent visa arrangements are not affected by the introduction of the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. However, a parent cannot apply for a permanent Parent visa while holding a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa."

Hi Tee, please explain to me. If my mom is waiting for her 143 currently (another 4 years to wait), and she applies for the 870 visa for 5 years, does the 870 cancel or affect the 143 application in any way? @TeeTMI

Hi Mel-B  There is nothing to prevent someone who has applied for, and is still awaiting the grant of, a SC143 parent visa from applying for a 870 visa - for the 3 or 5 years.  It need not cancel or impact on the 143 visa application.  If your mom still held the 870 when the 143 was granted it would override the 870 at that point in time.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Processing Update

PR Parent Visa Processing Time Update:
As at the 17th March processing has reached applications lodged in February 2016 for:
  • Contributory Parent (143) + Contributory Aged Parent (864)*
  • Contributory Parent (Temp) (173) + Contributory Aged Parent (Temp) (884)*
* for the 864, and 884 processing had reached later than this (Jan 2017) but a policy change means they are currently waiting until the other categories come in line.

[Parent (103) + Aged Parent (804) Assessed applications for queuing: Dec 2016. Assessing applications for visa grant that were queued in August 2010.]
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 7:58 PM, Mel-B said:

If my mom comes to stay with us in Melbourne on a 5 year visa - can she bring her furniture? She is in the Que for a parental visa, but in the meantime I'm looking at the 5 year temporary visa. Can you bring furniture in without a PR visa? 

Yes we send all our stuff and are in Australia on Visitors 600. Used Sevenseas from Cape Town (Nov 2018)

We are in Australia on a Visitors Visa 600 and are flying in and out every three months whilst awaiting our Parental Visa 143 (Due this year). 

With all flights cancelled can we reapply for a Visa 600 long stay (12 months) without affecting our Visa 143 application.?

2 hours ago, SakkieJansevanRensburg said:

We are in Australia on a Visitors Visa 600 and are flying in and out every three months whilst awaiting our Parental Visa 143 (Due this year). 

With all flights cancelled can we reapply for a Visa 600 long stay (12 months) without affecting our Visa 143 application.?

I will start by saying the following is a generalisation as I do not know your circumstances.
The Dept of Home Affairs has implemented additional policy, in this respect where people are truly impacted (and that is impacting an increasing number of people...).  Note that this is a fluid situation and policy is likely to change over time to allow for the development of the situation. 
Note that at the current time a visa cannot be 'extended' but that you would generally be required to apply for another visa.  Depending upon the individual circumstances consideration will be given to waiving some conditions, if necessary, enabling another visa to be applied for.

One of the visa options (and depending upon circumstances others may be more appropriate) would be another SC600 visa.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:12 AM, TeeTMI said:

Processing Update

PR Parent Visa Processing Time Update:
As at the 17th March processing has reached applications lodged in February 2016 for:
  • Contributory Parent (143) + Contributory Aged Parent (864)*
  • Contributory Parent (Temp) (173) + Contributory Aged Parent (Temp) (884)*
* for the 864, and 884 processing had reached later than this (Jan 2017) but a policy change means they are currently waiting until the other categories come in line.

[Parent (103) + Aged Parent (804) Assessed applications for queuing: Dec 2016. Assessing applications for visa grant that were queued in August 2010.]

They normally request documents approximately 3 months before the visa is granted.  I applied on 2nd May 2016, (173), shouldn't i have heard from them by now??

I know Australia has been hit hard by the COVID-19.  Do you think this would impact on the delay period in requesting documentation for visas?

13 hours ago, WendyAllison said:

I know Australia has been hit hard by the COVID-19.  Do you think this would impact on the delay period in requesting documentation for visas?

Yes Australia is a couple of weeks ahead of South Africa with COVID-19.  

The Dept of Home Affairs has been busy trying to assist people who have been caught up in the situation and it is possible a range of departments may see slowing due to e.g. staff assisting in other visa areas or restrictions on staffing numbers within offices... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

Yes Australia is a couple of weeks ahead of South Africa with COVID-19.  

The Dept of Home Affairs has been busy trying to assist people who have been caught up in the situation and it is possible a range of departments may see slowing due to e.g. staff assisting in other visa areas or restrictions on staffing numbers within offices... 

Thank you for your response

Hi All , 

My parents are here is visitor visa on the 3 month duration  , they have applied for 143 visa as well . Considering the current situation they do not want to travel during this time . They 3 months duration comes to an end in 2 weeks . Can they apply for bridging visa since they have applied for 143 visa . ( NB:- their  3 months period comes to end first week of April )

3 hours ago, andrew98 said:

Hi All , 

My parents are here is visitor visa on the 3 month duration  , they have applied for 143 visa as well . Considering the current situation they do not want to travel during this time . They 3 months duration comes to an end in 2 weeks . Can they apply for bridging visa since they have applied for 143 visa . ( NB:- their  3 months period comes to end first week of April )

The 143 does not provide eligibility for a Bridging Visa.  Depending upon their circumstances they might look at options e.g. for another visitor visa or other eligible visa.  Be aware that if they have a Condition that prevents an onshore application, that currently, they will first need to apply for this to be waived.  More details at: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus

[Editing to add that it is possible that policy / legislation may change over time to provide more options for people stuck in Australia therefore the above may change].

Edited by TeeTMI

26 minutes ago, TeeTMI said:

The 143 does not provide eligibility for a Bridging Visa.  Depending upon their circumstances they might look at options e.g. for another visitor visa or other eligible visa.  Be aware that if they have a Condition that prevents an onshore application, that currently, they will first need to apply for this to be waived.  More details at: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus

[Editing to add that it is possible that policy / legislation may change over time to provide more options for people stuck in Australia therefore the above may change].

Thanks Tee 🙂 . They do not have "No further stay " condition . So thinking of applying another tourist visa them ,explaining the current condition . 

Hi All, 

Does anyone know if DIBP has put a hold on all 143 /173 visa applications? Getting a bit worried as I don't see any movement since the last few days. 

Understandably its because of COVID19 as well. However, I hope and pray that they don't stop or hold back processing.

@TeeTMI any idea or word regarding this? Thanks 

12 hours ago, CFDS said:

Hi All, 

Does anyone know if DIBP has put a hold on all 143 /173 visa applications? Getting a bit worried as I don't see any movement since the last few days. 

Understandably its because of COVID19 as well. However, I hope and pray that they don't stop or hold back processing.

@TeeTMI any idea or word regarding this? Thanks 

The latest news for parent visa applicants is:

Parent Visa Processing - Coronavirus
DHA state (26 March 2020): Finalisation of many Parent Visa applications will be put on hold for a period of approximately two months. The situation will be reviewed in late May 2020, and further extension/s will be provided if necessary.
As soon as we have advice that restrictions at our Border have been returned to more normal arrangements, the Department will update information on the web site.

If anyone is in Australia on a visitor visa at the current time you should not let that visa expire as you would become 'unlawful' there are procedures in place (see link) towards remaining in Australia lawfully - if impacted I advise seeking advice on your situation.  Becoming unlawful could impact negatively on any current and future applications and make things a lot more complex. 

Edited by TeeTMI
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

The latest news for parent visa applicants is:

Parent Visa Processing - Coronavirus
DHA state (26 March 2020): Finalisation of many Parent Visa applications will be put on hold for a period of approximately two months. The situation will be reviewed in late May 2020, and further extension/s will be provided if necessary.
As soon as we have advice that restrictions at our Border have been returned to more normal arrangements, the Department will update information on the web site.

If anyone is in Australia on a visitor visa at the current time you should not let that visa expire as you would become 'unlawful' there are procedures in place (see link) towards remaining in Australia lawfully - if impacted I advise seeking advice on your situation.  Becoming unlawful could impact negatively on any current and future applications and make things a lot more complex. 

Thank You for sharing that. Much appreciated. All we can do now is wait, watch and pray for the best. So close but still so far for June'16 applicants. I saw a lot of the May'16 applications have been in progress.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 2:35 PM, andrew98 said:

Thanks Tee 🙂 . They do not have "No further stay " condition . So thinking of applying another tourist visa them ,explaining the current condition . 

Hi Andrew,

My parents and I are in the same condition as you. May I ask how did you resolve the issue please?

Regards

Jayc

Hi All,

I just wanted to check in and get some advice that I'm on the right track..
I applied for my dad's CA143 visa in Feb 2017.. We have paid the initial deposit payment. I have since been married and sent through a form 929 to change my details as his sponsor. 

Is this literally all I have to do until they request medicals?

I don't want to miss a step but it's been so long - I think I just need some assurance that everyone is in the same boat.😅

12 hours ago, Barkies said:

Hi All,

I just wanted to check in and get some advice that I'm on the right track..
I applied for my dad's CA143 visa in Feb 2017.. We have paid the initial deposit payment. I have since been married and sent through a form 929 to change my details as his sponsor. 

Is this literally all I have to do until they request medicals?

I don't want to miss a step but it's been so long - I think I just need some assurance that everyone is in the same boat.😅

Once a parent visa application has been submitted, and you should receive an acknowledgement letter confirming this, then you would not generally expect to hear further until they are ready to start processing the application. 

• Like 1

Processing Times Update as of 15th April 2020

As at the 15th April processing has reached applications lodged in March 2016 for the :
- Contributory Parent (143) + Contributory Aged Parent (864)*
and
- Contributory Parent (Temp) (173) + Contributory Aged Parent (Temp) (884)*
* NB: for the 864, and 884 processing had reached later than this (Jan 17) but a policy change means they are currently waiting until they match.

For the:
Parent (103) + Aged Parent (804) Assessment queuing reached: Dec 2016. Processing applications for visa grant has reached applications with a Queued date of August 2010.

COVID-19 Comment: Processing of visa applications is continuing, however finalisation of many Parent Visa applications will be put on temporary hold. The situation will be reviewed in late May 2020, and further extension/s will be provided if necessary.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that you are all keeping safe in these unusual times.

Processing Times Update as of 7th May 2020

As at the 15th April processing has reached applications lodged in April 2016 for the :
- Contributory Parent (143) + Contributory Aged Parent (864)*
and
- Contributory Parent (Temp) (173) + Contributory Aged Parent (Temp) (884)*
* NB: for the 864, and 884 processing had reached later than this (Jan 17) but a policy change means they are currently waiting until they match.

For the:
Parent (103) + Aged Parent (804) Assessment queuing reached: Jan 2017. Processing applications for visa grant has reached applications with a Queued date of August 2010.

COVID-19 Comment: Processing of visa applications is continuing, however finalisation of many Parent Visa applications will be put on temporary hold. The situation will be reviewed in late May 2020, and further extension/s will be provided if necessary.
  • Like 2