Pocket knife in luggage

Dragonlord

Hi Everyone

Are you allowed to bring a swiss army knife with you in your checked luggage when flying to Australia?

I am aware that you are not allowed to carry a knife with you in Australia unless you have a valid reason.

I use my swiss army knife every day for things like opening boxes or envelopes and many other things but I don't know what I will tell the police or border control if they find it on me.

I have no plans to take it anywhere in public. I want to only use it at home but I have to first take it through the airport to the place where I will be living.

It is also a lock-blade version which I think is illegal to have at all unlike a normal swiss army knife.

I'm pretty sure its okay as long as it's in your check-in luggage.

They aren't too strict on knives, some of the most important rules within Australia are:

1) No spring assisted blades (Must use 2 hands to open the knife)

2) No double edged blades (Blade on both sides)

3) No ceramic blades (Must be picked up in a detector)

I recently imported a blade from the states with no hassles, whilst the post office is different to the airport check in, I think the rules are about the same.

I know when we went to to the UK there was some rule about no blades over 6 inches.

Hope this helps, but if you really want to be sure, maybe phone the airline you booked with :)

Have a look here (scroll down to knives and daggers) : https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo-support-trade-and-goods/importing-goods/prohibited-and-restricted

Although this is not "legal advice", it is based on fact and very helpful - with full colour examples.

https://www.corecarry.com.au/what-knives-can-you-import-into-australia/

Thanks for the links Riekie. They do not specifically say that pocket knives are a problem. My knife is not a flick knife or a switch blade so it should be fine.

I am wondering if I should just order a new one online and have it posted to me when I am in Australia so that I can avoid the chance of any trouble at the airport.

I don't think you should have any problems if it is in your checked luggage. I brought my Leatherman stored in my checked luggage. Double check with your airline and customs though, rules do frequently change these days.

• Like 1

We brought in a Leatherman each in checked luggage, no problem. Flied with Qantas, OR Tambo-Syd-Melb.

• 1 month later...

I took my huge swiss army knife in my checked luggage without any problems when I arrived in Australia around a week ago. I am very glad because I have needed it a whole lot of times since arriving here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Bonny said:

Brought 7 knives in checked luggage 3 weeks ago. We were waved straight through. 

Wow, ok, I reckon that settles it then. Just put them in checked luggage, and make sure they are not illegal in Australia.

Although they're very common elsewhere, and you would not think it could be a problem, knuckle dusters are actually illegal in Australia (if maybe you have a martial arts collection) and so are flick knives. Basically the things you'd use in gang fights...

Just declare what you have and you'll be fine.  If it's not allowed, you won't get into trouble - unless of course you're importing a whole arsenal... They'll simply confiscate it.