Area's to stay

jjschnetler

Hi everyone,

I need some info of good areas to stay in Adelaide. We have good friends in Hallet cove, and it does seem nice there, but I'm a little bit worried about staying in the south and traveling 50km everyday to the north. From what I've seen there has been a lot more vacancies for me in the north. Secondly we have to consider a school as well, my girl is staring year 1 when we arrive.

Any advice will be appreciated

Lots of Saffas just north of the city in suburbs like Golden Grove, Wynn Vale, Greenwith, Mawson Lakes, Modbury Heights etc. We looked at Hallett Cove ourselves but for us it was too hilly and apparently very windy. Locals love it (of course) but these were factors FOR US personally. 

The local primary school in each of the suburbs I've listed are all well thought of and would be fine. 

Thank you for the info, I will look at the rest of the ones you gave me. I had a look at Mawson Lakes, but some recon it not so great while others say it good. I suppose it all depends on individual preference.

I have managed to secure another interview for when we land, so it's Elizabeth south and Salisbury that are the possible locations for work. So looking at just north of the city or even a little bit to the east. We'll only be able to decide once we there I suppose.

Salisbury Heights (next to Greenwith) is a hidden gem suburb where properties are at the top of the hill so cooler than down in the plains of Salisbury itself.  So that might be an option.  Salisbury East is okay too.  Salisbury itself would be fine for work but I wouldn't live there.  Same for  Elizabeth.  Very low socio economic out there.  Heart of gold people but it would be a shock to the Saffa system to live out there.

Once you see Mawson Lakes you'll understand why some say it's good and others not.  It;s modern, has a lake, cycle paths, big homes, train into the city but gardens are small, neighbours are close and it's a commuter suburb so lonely during the day. It's a personal preference.

• Like 1

Fairview Park is worth considering. It is a small north east suburb has a small primary school with a good reputation and an easy connect to the more northern suburbs if you are working out that way. 

All the "parks" out this way are good: Banksia Park, Redwood Park as well. Even Ridge Haven would be fine.  All good suburbs with great primary schools.

Thank you for all the suggestions, we'll take a drive around there when I go for the interviews and have a look.

I'm sure we'll find something that exceeds our expectation.

The thing you need to keep in mind where you choose to live is affordability.

The manicured suburbs around Greenwith may not be the best value for money.

I remember driving around there in the 1990s and noticing that the rooftops of the houses just about touch each other. Housing is very close together. The back yard is about 3 meters deep when you stroll out of your back door, just big enough for a Weber barbeque and a chair or two . . . . and that's about it!

The housing there is top dollar.

Maybe I'm spoilt. I like to think there's better value for money than buying into housing where you can hear the neighbour/s flushing his dunnie in the morning.

Anyhow . . . . the best thing is to pop up to Greenwith and check out the area, It may suit you really well and you may get to like the suburb and all its facilities on offer.

Bob, nobody has mentioned Greenwith (which would still suit some) and has a variety of property options from villa houses with small gardens as you mentioned to "normal" size houses.  Friends live up there and you might be surprised to hear that they don't hear their neighbours.  Adelaide homes are well insulated for that. Unlike our house in Brisbane on a "normal" block. 

I mentioned Greenwith in relation to Salisbury Heights being next to Greenwith (on one boundary if you want to be precise).

Everybody should rent first in my opinion unless they know the city/suburbs as replicating the RSA home and garden size might not work when it's now you doing all the cleaning, mowing and maintenance. 

Best option is to drive around, go to open homes, measure distance to work, get a feel for the places because it is such a personal preference on what type of housing to pick.  

Edited by RYLC

I'm going to jump into the conversation. I hope you don't mind @jjschnetler. I just thought it's a similar query so may be good to add it here for future readers. 

We will be heading to Adelaide either April or June- depending on when we receive visa/ work etc.

I wouldn't mind an opinion on the areas Fullarton, Glen Osmond and also Henley Beach. 

Thanks in advance for any opinions given!

• 1 month later...

Hi @jjschnetler, just want to check in. Did you find something and how are you settling in? We are heading to Adelaide at the end of 2017, our son will start year 1 in 2018. We are doing our activation trip during April school holidays so will check out the suburbs and schools then. We are also looking at the North eastern suburbs.