Sydney worries

Knoesil

Hi All

My husband and I got permanent residence visas (subclass 189) in September this year (probably not relevant to this post). We will be arriving in Sydney on 22 January.  I got a good job in Sydney cbd and is starting in February My husband has not yet started looking for a job. He is a mechanical/biomedical engineer. I'm feeling anxious that we will not be able to survive on only my salary. Can anyone who is already living in Sydney give me an indication of how much you pay for groceries for two people as well as utilities for two people. Our dogs will be coming over in April and we therefore need to consider a house that is between $450-$500. I wanted to know if we will be able to get through the month with our living expenses. We are not planning on buying a car yet and we read that you do not pay more than $60 per week on OPAL per person.

Some guidance would be appreciated! 

Hi Knoesil,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on securing a job, that's really your biggest hurdle overcome already. Working in the CBD is actually really convenient because so many trains, busses and ferries go there. Look on Domain.com.au and realestate.com.au for an idea of what rentals cost. For your budget you should be able to get a 1 bedroom fairly close to the CBD, although it would probally be a little older and not have all the modern amenities. How long do you want to take to get into the CBD? That will really determine what areas you should be looking at. Most people seem to be happy with anything under an hour commute one way, I'm not one of those people... hehe.

If you're earning ~100k per annum you should be more than ok with two people until your husband secures a job. @AFreshStart is the local Sydney guru and I'm sure he'll be along shortly to give some advice.

You have taken the biggest hurdle out of the way with one of you securing a job with a steady stream of $$$$$.  The next headache is going to be to find a house in your price range, and then tell them you want dogs in there as well.  Food budget you can easily do for $150 and less a week, if you cook your own food.  

I did a quick rental search for you (and my own interest) to see whats out there for $500 and under a week.  You will have better luck with getting dogs accepted into  a rental  house than other forms of accommodation, I think.  I randomly searched in Ryde. https://www.domain.com.au/rent/ryde-nsw-2112/?ptype=duplex,house,semi-detached,terrace,town-house,villa,new-house-land,new-home-designs&bedrooms=2-any&ssubs=1&price=any-500

• 2 weeks later...

Rent in Sydney is just crazy at the moment, especially in the city and beaches.  Further out to the suburbs you'll find more affordable places but then the commute could be a challenge.  Your 2nd hurdle would be to find a rental which allows pets - especially dogs. If you want to live in the city I think you should up your budget for weekly rent. I could not find any properties in Sydney & surrounding suburbs to rent for $500 which also allows pets and only two in surrounding suburbs (1 bedroom units) for $600. I found quite a few for $750 per week, although, with the exception of one, they were all 1 bedroom units.

All up, if you earn a decent salary, it is doable on a single income for the time being if you are willing to make a few sacrifices.  Hopefully by the time the dogs arrive, your husband would have found a job and you'll be able to afford a better rental which would also allow pets.

Don't stress & overthink too much. It will be OK.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to Australia and I bet you can't wait for the dogs to get here ! I too found Australia very expensive to start especially compared to where I used to live. However, i think over time you get used to the changes and stop comparing. Saying that, it is worth settling in an area that is both affordable and offers your a quality of life. Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

Best advice we got when we arrived:  Don't think in ZAR when you buy with AUD.  You'll have a heart attack each time!.... 

• Like 1

So the Question that has probably been asked over and over - cant seem to find an answer - will we (me and my wife only, no kids no pets etc) be able to survive on 100k a year (until she gets a job off course)? We will most likely live in Queensland's  smaller towns or regional cities E.G Townsville (not Brisbane) - any advise will be appreciated! 

You'll most definately be able to survive. Once your wife secures a job you should have a very comfortable lifestyle! Especially outside of the bigger more expensive cities like Sydney.

• Like 1

@TeachinginSA, we landed in Brisbane a month ago and $100k a year would do nicely for a childless couple here as well. I'm however also assuming your wife is not barred from working.

As a quick and dirty comparison of costs via one item the rentals for a decent 2 bed unit about 30 minutes drive from the CBD is $400 to $500 a week. I assume in Townsville or similar that an equivalent property rental would be lower still.

$100k annually would be really nice!*  Especially like they said, if it's outside the major cities. The advice that I can give you: go slowly the first 2-3 months, and keep track of everything you spend. Then at the end of those months draw up an Excel sheet and take a look at your financial picture. You'll probably smile, and relax then.

*Remember that this depends very much on perspective and expectations

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it is easier to find a rental that accepts cats rather than dogs, or is it a struggle for either pet?