Changing Direction

CazK

Rewind 5 months and I wouldn't have imagined I would be walking this path today - in more than one way. Five months ago, my husband and I were looking forward to his June graduation. He'd spoken of immigration before we got married, but I wasn't particularly interested and he hadn't said a word on the topic since. However, 8 years and two children later I was starting to change my mind; children have a way of changing your priorities. As his graduation approached, it dawned on me that it was time for change and one day I casually suggested it to him...he didn't need much convincing! And so it started. We came up with a list of countries we thought would be feasible, drew up a pro and con list and after several discussions we set off with our goal in mind: Canada. We sent our qualifications off for assessment, booked IELTS for both of us, spent 6 hours at the Dept of Home Affairs with two small children in the middle of the school holidays to get passports (I really don't recommend that one!:blink:), and sold items to start the journey towards attaining the required proof of funds (ouch, the ZAR can bite). With my work experience, I was the main applicant and we entered the Express Entry pool with a pretty decent score...where we have been soaking ever since... Just to explain, the point system is very different in Canada and the required points for an ITA change at every draw. Sometimes it's higher, other times it's lower. It's a more complicated system than the one for Australia, in my opinion.

In about October, we decided that while we really liked the idea of Canada and it was close to family on that side of the world, maybe we should consider plan B or indeed C. Perhaps it was a case of right idea, wrong country. And so we turned in the complete opposite direction towards New Zealand and Australia. Running Canada and Australia in parallel, we investigated what needed to be done for Australia. My husband's undergrad qualification isn't on the SOL, but his work experience falls into a field that is and so we decided to use an agent to assist us in the process. I won't go into those details right now, but after a somewhat frustrating start the agent finally sent off the Engineers Australia qualification assessment and today we heard that my husband received a positive outcome! Super stoked! With that under our belt, the EOI was submitted today for a 189 visa with 60 points and we eagerly await the next 2 draws! :D 

• Like 5

This is a story that I have been hearing a lot recently: We wanted to go to Canada, but they were full of nonsense, so we're coming to Australia instead. Hahahaha...

Having travelled to quite a few places in the world (Europe, UK, USA) I can tell you one thing: Australia is a first world country, and keeping the secret to themselves. Everything here works, as well as anyone could expect large systems to work, and better than some other more prestigious 1st world countries. The people are friendly, and in our experience they are welcoming to foreigners. The natural beauty is stunning, and enhanced by the fact that they take care of it, and it's totally safe to travel into.

I personally support a theory that the Aussies promote a picture to the outside world of being backwater, unsophisticated and living mostly in red sand desert, with a few gorgeous touristy spots around the edges. And that they do this to stay under the radar of world immigration, while in fact the place is stunning.    ..Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;) 

I hope you find what you are looking for when you land here. :) 

• Like 4

Welcome @CazK

Hope the rest of your journey is smooth sailing. 

So, the latest draw came and went and as we expected, we need to cross our fingers for the next one...especially considering my husband's occupation has almost reached its ceiling for 2016/2017 :( Yikes. Really not sure what we are going to do if that happens! 

Is there any chance you can rewrite IELTS or something to add additional points to your application? Perhaps Pearson? After EA has given a positive result you can do other English tests for the straight up visa application. (Just asking.)

Yes same situation for us. That Express Entry system made us so frustrated - made you feel like you were playing the lottery. Moved to Australia and we are not looking back :):) 

• Like 1

The stakes have been raised for us :( If you happen to be applying via the industrial, mechanical, and production engineering occupation (2335) you now need 70 points for an invitation. So my husband is going to try the Pearson English test, aiming for superior English worth 20 points. Such great timing this time of year...

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @CazK, @RedPanda & @Odendaal Please forgive my ignorance but what is this 'Express Entry System' that you talk about!? I did a very brief Google search, however, can only see that it relates to Canada!  Is there an 'Express Entry System' for Aus too??

1 hour ago, Basil1 said:

Hi @CazK, @RedPanda & @Odendaal Please forgive my ignorance but what is this 'Express Entry System' that you talk about!? I did a very brief Google search, however, can only see that it relates to Canada!  Is there an 'Express Entry System' for Aus too??

@Odendaal applied for Canada first, got fed up and came to Australia instead ;) (So it's probably the Canadian one).

If you are an engineer then EA (Engineers Australia) has a fast tracked qualification checking option, but it just gives you your skills assessment faster, not directly connected to your actual visa application.

• 2 weeks later...

This last month has been interesting. Our points requirement went from 60 to 70 to 65...let's hope it stays there for a while and doesn't go up again! After missing superior English by 2 lousy points for speaking in December, hubby is writing the PTE again this weekend. I really don't cope well with anxiety when things are out of my control. But I know that he can do it.

So yesterday came and went and unfortunately hubby didn't get superior English with the PTE. If we lived in Jhb, maybe we would have given it one more go, but living in CT it means flying up, which makes the whole thing twice as expensive. The CT PTE test centre is so fully booked, its ridiculous. So now we move onto plan B: a 190 visa. Tomorrow we will try to put in an EOI for a 190 (Victoria) and hope that they pick us soon. Our goal is still to get an ITA before mid March when my husband's birthday loses us 5 pts.

@CazK, sorry to hear.. Why are you only submitting an EOI for Vic? Why not for as many states as possible? We submitted EOIs for NSW and Vic and NSW got back much quicker than Vic...

@planningahead Hmm, that is a good question. For us it is about speed (March is fast approaching in this waiting game) and we were looking at Melbourne anyway. But what made us pick Vic is that they have an international PhD stream through which you can apply (still for a 190) and my husband has one. We are hoping that this will help us get selected quicker. The benefit of the PhD stream is that they process the application in 2 weeks as opposed to 12 weeks, but we aren't sure if they mean the actual visa application or the nomination. We'll ask our agent about that tomorrow (as well as applying for 2 states). Thanks for asking, though, it gives us something else to think about.

• Like 1

@CazK, if I were you I would submit to all the states possible as the nomination acceptance for some states might come sooner than for other states. For all you know WA/NSW/Qld might accept your nomination quicker than Vic.

Our agent submitted to all states where my skills was on a state's skilled list. Basically they submitted EOIs for NSW and Vic. They also said they can do an EOI for NT but I really didn't want to move to NT so I said don't bother.

My agent did not charge me for each individual EOI submitted, so if you pay the same fee why not go for as many possibilities as possible?

Good luck and keep us posted!

After a rather busy 1-2 days we have provided our agent with all the bits and pieces required for the SS Victoria 190 nomination application. Really excited! The international PhD stream gives feedback in 2 weeks, so by 1 Feb we should know whether the mountain has grown taller or we finally managed to crack this elusive ITA! :) Now, if Aus could just not raise the points requirement for mechanical engineers again, we would be ever so grateful...

• Like 2

I'm still in shock, but we just received an email from Victoria saying our state nomination has been successful! Submitted 18 Jan, outcome 23 Jan! ITA received the same day! :D

Edited by CazK
  • Like 3

@CazK - nice. Heart beating nice and fast when you got that email? It is a awesome feeling and I bet it is the only thing you can think about right now :D

• Like 1

Wow, that is the quickest turnaround I have heard of. They must like you a lot :)

Congrats.

• Like 1

Awesome, congratulations.

• Like 1

Congratulations!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been quiet on our side for the last two or so weeks as we've waited for our PCCs and medicals - and then they both happened on the same day. We spent an interesting 3 hours at Intercare Tyger Valley this morning trying to not annoy other patients as we attempted to contain a 1 year old and 4 year old who were clearly bored with the process within 2 minutes of arriving. :ph34r: Everything went smoothly until the doctor asked about the 4 year old's TB test. Now, I was well aware of the fact that you need to wait 3 days after they do the skin test and hence I'd both emailed and asked the receptionist over the phone about us needing to do this ahead of time. But I was fobbed off and told to just arrive on the day. This clearly annoyed the doctor too who had to make special arrangements for us to return this Sunday so that they can take a look at the cat's nose :P They were very sweet and drew a cat around the dot, whiskers and all and my son is so super protective of his cat! I even had to redraw it after his bath, with a tail this time. We then arrived home to find an email telling us to pick up our PCCs as they had arrived in CT. Yay! ...so now it's back to painting the inside of the house, fixing up stuff and trying to keep ourselves busy and sane for the next month before we hear our result...it's going to be the longest month of my life! :blink: 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Things have been moving along swiftly! We received our visa grants on 3 March, put our house on the market on 16 March and it was sold today (25 March) subject to the person obtaining their bond! 10 days...eish! I should feel elated that one more obstacle has been cleared from our path, but I'm actually a bit sad. :unsure: Ah well. I just need to remind myself that it is just a house. Onwards we go! We've got a mountain of work in front of us as we need to go through our stuff to sell/give away/throw away/pack by mid June. Still aiming to fly out at the end of June and so far we seem to be on track.    

• Like 2