Resumè, Cover letter & LinkedIn Profile

Shmily

Anybody who can assist me in creating a professional resume, cover letter  and linkedln profile. I am an Principal Estate Agent specializing in residential letting. I need to convince employers to sponsor me for a 186 Visa for Queensland. Any help will be appreciated. 

Hey there. if you PM me your email address I can forward you some examples of resumés if you like. As for the LinkedIn profile , make sure you use a professional head and shoulders photograph and add as much information as possible in terms of positions held/work experience. don't write or refer to yourself in the third person and keep you bio description short, sweet and to the point. Most recruiters/propective employer's don't read much past the first paragraph and if it boring, not much past the first sentence or two. Having said that,  avoid being funny or sarcastic as well, it doesn't create a good impression.

• Like 3

We have also been told by locals that the one page resumé is not a thing here. Try about 3-4 pages, plus a cover letter.

1 hour ago, RedPanda said:

We have also been told by locals that the one page resumé is not a thing here. Try about 3-4 pages, plus a cover letter.

Your mileage may vary but I landed both my jobs on a 2 pager - 1 page resume & 1 page referrals with an additional cover letter. It will also depend on your industry etc.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AFreshStart said:

Your mileage may vary but I landed both my jobs on a 2 pager - 1 page resume & 1 page referrals with an additional cover letter. It will also depend on your industry etc.

True. Hubby is a statistical analyst, relative newcomer. When he went for the interview they were all kinda luke warm about it, but when he said "Oh, by the way, I have printed out and brought with me an extended version of my CV." They lit up like Christmas. So it probably does vary a lot, depending on industry and level of experience. With my guess being the more reputable your experience the less you have to say about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedPanda said:

True. Hubby is a statistical analyst, relative newcomer. When he went for the interview they were all kinda luke warm about it, but when he said "Oh, by the way, I have printed out and brought with me an extended version of my CV." They lit up like Christmas. So it probably does vary a lot, depending on industry and level of experience. With my guess being the more reputable your experience the less you have to say about it.

True, I've been lucky over the past 15-years to work with several global brands and am currently employed by one, so my experience and employers speak for themselves. That said, if you ARE starting out, I'd still suggest you keep focused and on point, gone are the days of listing your high school cultural awards and that you played 1st rugby, esp. if you're only doing it to buff up your CV. Keep to the key points, stay focused and make sure your cover letter answers the ad, sharing that your skills match up with what they require and how you think they will benefit them. So often people miss the opportunity to address the ad and why they think they are a good fit.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

If an agent asks for a cover letter in my view, that job is not a fit. I know and understand that is just the old school way the industry operates but if you are senior and have a good LinkedIn profile, honestly, why should you clone the same stuff into a CV and yet again in a cover letter? For the more junior resources and folks starting out...hmm maybe.

I strongly suggest taking a look at this: www.humanworkplace.com I did a session with Liz and never looked back. Granted, this is not everyone's cup of tea but damn, in my case the results were amazing. Strong opinion I know...I refuse to pepper my profile with silly keywords so a search engine puts me on top. It is so inhumane. What happened to humans talking to humans? What's next, my avatar talks to your avatar? LOL. :P