Melbourne Picnic in the Park 5th November 2016

RedPanda

Hi, to all Melbournians on the forum, old and new, I would like to invite you to a social picnic in a park. It's getting to that time of year when everyone starts looking forward to summer, and I have been told by many a person that Melbourne summer starts in November, so lets get together and figure out the Aussie barbie! :D 

Currently Saturday the 5th November looks good, with Albert Park as a venue. If you would like to come but can't make the date, suggest an alternative, and let's see what suits most people.

This will be a good opportunity to meet fellow expats in Melbourne, get some good advice from the more experienced Melbournians (a little bird told me @Mara is willing to come down from Sunbury if the turnout looks good), and you can just relax a bit in a social atmosphere.

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Edited by Mara
Added to the heading!

Hi RedPanda -

Thanks for organising - will let you know later.

But to add to the information about the venue there is free roadside parking on the Canterbury Road side of Albert Park - it can be expensive in some areas around the other side. 

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/albert-park

Also some electric braais scattered around the park

• Like 1

I will have to have a chat with that little birdie!

We will be there, so count us in, whatever day it is, Saturday seems fine to me unkess there are people working that day, then perhaps a Sunday? Let's see what the response is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emmayenkanna said:

Pity I am now in Perth, would have loved a picnic with you all ? Have a great time anyway

But I bet you're not cold right now? Enjoy the weather, and all the good things to be found in Perth :) 

@RedPanda I moved the thread from Communities to Events... hope you don't mind. I also added the city and date.... perhaps that will now bring all those from Melbourne out of their hidy holes!

Come on guys, there are so many new arrivals this year, join us and let us have a lot of fun getting to know each other.

Albert Park is easily accessible for anyone having to use public transport and there is parking for those coming by car.

If the date or day does not suit you, then state what date or day would suit you better, this is not set in stone!

• Like 1

• Mara pinned this topic

Thanks @Mara, I just posted it in 'Melbourne' after a quick browse. Whatever gets the sausages sizzling and the barbecues burning! :D 
Come on folks, comment! Even if you just say that you see the thread, but can't come...thats cool too. ;) 

• Like 1

This is the part that stumps me, over 80 people have viewed the thread, but only two, besides us, have posted!

Red Panda, perhaps we should just stalk them?:lol:

• Like 1

@wonderer thanks for the post... we will stalk you, once you arrive, if it is Melbourne!

• Like 1

Hello,

Our family of five will definitely join in. Maybe I missed it, but what time on the 5th should we plan for.

Looking forward to sharing the experience!

Great, look forward to seeing you there. We will still finalise, but it is usually around 11am.

17 hours ago, Mara said:

@wonderer thanks for the post... we will stalk you, once you arrive, if it is Melbourne!

Hi Mara :D hope you will... my heart is set on Melbourne so I hope so, but guess we won't know until we settle

Rain check till 2017. Melbourne bound B)

Hi! 

It's my niece's 1st birthday on that day (remember, remember the 5th of November!) so I won't be able to make it - sorry guys. I hope it's a "rippah" hehe.

• Like 1

That sounds so lovely.

We will just miss this as we are arriving on the 30th November - but we will definitely join the next one!

Enjoy :)

xxx 

We would love to come especially as we missed the June one , but we booked and paid for a day pass to PAX months ago for Saturday 5th to do geeky stuff all day ......

• Like 1

RedPanda has family visiting, so she is a bit scarce around here,

Just wanted to say thanks for your posts, Husky, Odendaal, LeaS and EmNew! So sorry you cannot join us.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 9:55 PM, Mara said:

RedPanda has family visiting, so she is a bit scarce around here,

Just wanted to say thanks for your posts, Husky, Odendaal, LeaS and EmNew! So sorry you cannot join us.

Yes, thank you @Mara, for picking up the slack. (I should think about something witty to say about RedPandas being 'slackers'..but I also should do all the things on my ToDo list, and remember other important things, like not leaving hubby stranded at work without his car...)

Ok, to business. It seems like only one family can make it on the 5th Nov. Would anyone like to make a suggestion for an alternate date? Do you guys want to try in Dec? If you would like to meet up with more forumites but something about the arrangement makes it difficult, please use this thread to create a discussion about it.

Feel free to comment, please! :D 

• Like 1

well obviously I am in...

it does co-inside with the weekend of Pax, but I won't go this year anyway, as its to expensive.

• Like 1

I would like to join.  We only arrive on the 28th of November, so a date after that would be cool.

I am fine with whatever date it is.... December can be quite hectic, with all the events taking place in the parks. I would suggest that some alternative venues are also looked at, just in case. If it is December, I would suggest the first Saturday then!

Unfortunately I am still waiting for Victoria to crack me a nod so hopefully next year for me :-)

Oh dear... It would seem that this is just not the best time, for most people. Would you (all of you) say that January is a better time? [Since December is probably full of tourists?] But I am very keen on an outdoor meet, while the chances of good weather are at least extant.

• Mara unpinned this topic