Aussie shows

ChrisH

This thread got me thinking.  Other than Border Security, Highway Patrol and Masterchef, which other shows did you watch to get a feel for Australia?

Not sure about shows but these iconic movies are mostly must-sees because people use phrases out of them all the time:

• The Castle
  • The Dish
  • Crocodile Dundee
  • Muriel's Wedding
  • Rabbit-Proof Fence

• Like 2

Location, Location, Location Australia 

Housewives of Melbourne/Sydney (never watched either myself)

Upper Middle Bogan & Utopia are two of the best comedy shows that highlight and touch on Aus life, it's painfully accurate.

The Block is a big one here as well, one of the longest running renovation shows, watching tonight's episode as I type.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Thanks guys I'll give these a go, its amazing that Neighbours always ends up at the top of the list when you Google for Aussie shows to watch.

This is a great thread! Excellent idea! I'm gonna keep a close watch on it. :ilikeit:

21 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Thanks guys I'll give these a go, its amazing that Neighbours always ends up at the top of the list when you Google for Aussie shows to watch.

Neighbours and Home and Away are barely watched in Australia. They are funded almost entirely by British broadcasters and made specifically for poms. 

Series that I enjoyed was Offspring, House husbands, Wonderland, Mastercheff. Must see Aussie movie for me is The Castle. Also look out for Better Homes and Garden show.

The Wolf Creek movies are gruesome, but if you like horror they are worth a look. Lots of Aussie expressions in there...

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Cole said:

Do you have any recommendations for my kids to watch?  Aged 4 and 5.

Obviously at that age the less TV the better, but if you have to pop something on while you get the dinner going, ABCkids is great.  My kids (5 & 6) are still fans of Playschool.  Playschool is a classis Australian kids program and will teach them songs and things they will encounter in pre school and school. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2016 at 7:27 PM, Cole said:

Do you have any recommendations for my kids to watch?  Aged 4 and 5.

The Wiggles, Hi 5, Bananas in Pyjamas - my kids enjoyed them all. 

Edited by Shellfish
  • Like 1

I've come to realise two things...

1. Highway Patrol - I'll have to seriously clean up my driving game... In SA we have a 10km/h lenience wrt the speed limit so I always set my cruise control to 10km/h more than the limit so I'm just below the legal trapping speed.
  2. The Block - Seems like Australia has awesome varieties when it comes to renovating, but it is expensive beyond belief!  Tradies charge an arm and a leg!

2 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I've come to realise two things...

1. Highway Patrol - I'll have to seriously clean up my driving game... In SA we have a 10km/h lenience wrt the speed limit so I always set my cruise control to 10km/h more than the limit so I'm just below the legal trapping speed.

Yeah, uhm, don't. Just don't. I think trapping is something like 3 or 5km/h and you lose points. Plus, if you are going at that speed you will piss off everyone else on the road, because they will be going at the speed limit. So just breathe in slowly, and plan your journey according to the actual speed limit. It's amazing how quickly you can adjust to the new speeds, especially since that's what all the other cars are doing.

Haha @RedPanda.  Luckily I'm already used to using my cruise control to keep my speed so I'll just adjust it to the lower speeds.  I believe it will also help if everybody else is doing that speed. 

• Like 1

Weeeellll... I was 3klms over the speed limit, in a 60klm zone, and my little excess cost me $194 and 1 demerit point.... So it is wise to pay attention!

Stay away form red lights or crossing on orange, apply your brakes and wait, if the light is orange.... 1,3 seconds on red, cost a friend 3 demerit points and around $400!

What I've noticed:

Brisbane - orange no problem. Drivers don't seem to have a problem going for orange traffic lights. Speed limits - most drivers seem comfortable up to 10km (some more) above....driving is a little more aggressive than what I got accustomed to in Perth.

Funny thing in Perth cars pretty much stuck to the 100km hour speed limit on the freeway...it was the trucks that seemed to consider it optional!!

Be wary of turning right through a red arrow (even if you think you can 'just make it' before it turns). Cost me three demerit points and $400:wacko:

Edited by Shellfish

Someone told me recently that when she sees a person chuck a U-turn at a traffic light she always thinks to herself "There goes a South African". Apparently in RSA you can u-turn at a traffic light and not in Aus.  I still have to verify this claim. Anybody know, fact or fiction? 

Fiction. There are many traffic lights in Brisbane that have signs saying "U turn permitted"

4 minutes ago, rozellem said:

Someone told me recently that when she sees a person chuck a U-turn at a traffic light she always thinks to herself "There goes a South African". Apparently in RSA you can u-turn at a traffic light and not in Aus.  I still have to verify this claim. Anybody know, fact or fiction? 

Yup, in Melbourne the ones where you are NOT allowed to make a u-turn have boards to inform you. There are also several places along the road specially made for u-turns, and there is a special road marking painted in some lanes to indicate it's the u-turn lane.

As far as I know it is illegal in RSA, but who cares? They do whatever they like anyway.

5 hours ago, 20yearsoutofrsa said:

Fiction. There are many traffic lights in Brisbane that have signs saying "U turn permitted"

Ok, but if there was no sign (to u-turn or not) at a traffic light, and it it safe to do so, are you legally allowed to make a u-turn there?

The whole series of McLeod's Daughters. LOVED it!

We arrived here in November and soon after, it was the Carols in the Domain which they broadcast live on TV.  Part of that was a performance by The Wiggles.  We were at friends for a BBQ and when that came up, everyone rushed inside to watch - we had NO CLUE what the fuss was about!  Now we do... Ha-Ha! 

Best Aussie movie to watch is "The Castle".  You probably won't "get it" until you've lived here for a while, but it is hilariously Australian! (Same for "The Dish" - seriously funny!) 

Kath & Kim at the time (2004) was the Aussie version of Orkney Snork Nie.  We didn't find it funny initially (the Aussie humour is quite different) but we soon got hooked!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@ChrisH  So not a TV show, but I've been listening to the local radio station (via the TuneIn Radio app) of the town we're planning on moving to.  I've found this to be a pretty good window into the world we are hoping to live in!

• Like 1