457 to PR (son with Type 1 Diabetes)

WayneACT

Would appreciate any advice. Feels like our plans are crumbling beneath us. We are in Australia on a 457 visa and were planning our move to a PR. My son from a previous marriage is a Type 1 diabetic (12 yrs old). He still resides in SA but we wanted to add him to our PR visa application. As I understand it, we have to include him on the visa anyway so no problems there. The agent advised us that in all likelihood he will fail the medical because of his condition and hence the visa application will be refused for everyone. If he is not allowed here, then I don't really want to stay either. Having done a bit of research before we left SA, type 1 diabetes didn't seem to be a stumbling block for PR visa approval. I was obviously wrong. Any advice is welcome from anyone in the know or anyone who has been through a similar process.

Thanks

• Like 1

I've tagged @DavePE  for you as he has Type 1 Diabetes and has just recently arrived.  He'll know about passing the medical.  From what I've read, I think your agent is wrong but best to get the details from somebody who has recently gone through the medical for this.

• Like 2

Your agent is a complete and utter idiot. They should be named and shamed. Nothing worse than people who are supposed to be qualified and give out completely incorrect information. Your son will pass the medical 100%. No problem at all!

• Like 1

I should edit my above post WayneACT, sorry if that sounded like I was snapping at you, my frustration is with the agent! Just really imitates me that you were given such hopefully false information that could have such major implications for you. :angry:

• Like 1

Thanks @RYLC and @DavePE for your replies. Appreciate you both taking the time. Dave, no worries. I didn't read it that you were snapping at me. If anything, your reply was just what I needed today. My son's levels are well controlled and he has no complications. My concern was maybe the treatment he requires on a constant basis may exceed the allowance, but once again, in my research, I didn't encounter anyone that had been refused a PR visa based on normal everyday diabetic treatment (insulin, test strips, needles etc). My heart sank today, but have more hope now.

If I were you, and I found out that my agent had slipped up so badly on such a big thing, I would be outa there in no time. You can ask around on the forum if you need a new agent in a hurry. And I would report this agent's behaviour.

Imagine the impact on your life if you didn't have other people to ask, and you just believed him??? (It's like a doctor recommending an amputation because of a stubbed toe!)

Anyway, best of luck! I hope things go smoothly for you from here on.

• Like 4

Hi Guys

My daughter is also type 1 diabetic has been since she was 12 years old..she is now 35...fairly well controlled..she is going for her medicals next week on her 457 visa..she is a bit worried as the last 3 months her blood sugar level has been 8.7 could be due to stress..Has anyone gone for the medicals and had an issue as a diabetic..

Much appreciated

Hi NAPA,

There won't be an issue. She must declare that she has well controlled diabetes. They made me pee into a cup which they tested for sugar. I suppose if that value was high they would question if you had diabtetes but you would have already declared it by then so its not an issue. Just try and have a well controlled sugar level before the medical and shel'll be fine. Even if its not it won't make have any impact on the medical.

• Like 1

Hi @NAPA

The 457 visa medicals are not as comprehensive as the PR one. They may do a kidney function test if they find glucose in her urine. Reason I say this is they do that for high blood pressure. My son was not included on our 457 visa.

What is your daughter going to do for her diabetic supplies whilst on a 457 visa? 

Hi Wayne

Thank you for your reply..She will  be able to take 3 months supply when arrives but  for the rest of the year it will be for her cost..once she has been on a medical aid for a year they will provide some of the benefits for diabetics..stand to be corrected.. I have heard it would be harder once she applies for PR like you say...I am sure it will go well with your son and definitely believe Australia will be good for everyone.. We have been in Australia since 2009 and our family are only coming over now.

• Like 1