Child Visa 101

Ray2013

Hi All, Just a quick question. Has anyone done the child visa 101 without using an agent? 

Hi @Ray2013, i am just waiting for my boy's passport then we will start with child visa 101 without an agent.

I have another thread running on this topic and i believe @niro went through the process. I dont know how to reference my thread from here still very new. Its in this forum under the topic "child visa".

I asked the agent for a quoye and i got R60k as an answer. That made my mind up to go withoit an agent.

Its mostly online but you do have to do police clearances for the parents and medicals for the little one.

CableThief

Hi @CableThief, Lol I am new at this too. 

Will search for your thread and follow. I am now trying to sit with the paperwork and work it through as my stepson has all necessary docs and we have pcc for both countries on hand as well.

Ray 2013

We paid around R25000 for a child visa in Feb this year, not sure if the costs changed significantly in the last 7 months, but its not difficult to apply without an agent. I would recommend you first try to apply on your own.  

The only obstacle we had, was that we had to apply for our police clearance a second time, even though its not stipulated in the application forms that the parents have to apply for police clearance again.  There was a 3 month delay in getting the police clearance from our "wonderful" police department, it delayed my daughter's visa application and we had to reschedule our flights.

Thanks Scarlette, yes the fee is about $2370. Was your police clearance expired? I applied again last march so it expired this year and not sure if I should try and submit the SAP one as I have a Federal Police Clearance as well. 

51 minutes ago, Ray2013 said:

yes the fee is about $2370

I wonder why its that high?  A child visa as part of a 189 visa is $800 IIRC.  Maybe because they have to re-assess the police clearance etc vs it being another visa on a bulk application.

We applying for the 101 as we have moved here without my stepson. We would like to apply for this visa now and have literally just started with the form, 40ch , 47ch and 1229, would that be the only forms? Can I just upload a scanned copy of our passport photos as per the checklist requests?  

Hi Ray

I have attached the checklist for a child visa.

We downloaded all the documents from  www.au.tlscontact.com/za and then put a file together with the required information.

We then went to the tls center in Durban and they checked it and submitted it on the system. 

It was very easy - let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Niro

south_africa-_child_visa_checklist_subclasses_101102117445_-_april_2016.pdf

@Niro, we are in  Oz so unable to lodge personally but his Mum will be able to do that for us in Cape Town. I was just wondering as we need passport photos for ourselves, could I just scan it in and save as jpeg and send off as attachment? Will they notify us to do the medicals or should we do it once we submit ?

Thanks

Ray

I am not sure about the photos. Why not email the pics to the mum to print here and take it with her when applying?

The High Commissioner informed us via email when the medical was required. They included a letter with the HAP number.

I have also gotta do those pesky police clearances again. I believe its a minimum of 8 weeks again. Then wait for th visa to be processed which is another 6 to 8 weeks. No way we are going to leave this year....

One good thing is the rand has improved a bit versus earlier in the year so we get the visa a little cheaper. Still its another 20k odd gulp, gulp.

Now gotta get wife and myself to a "easy" police station to get it going....

Seeya

CableThief

Hi Ray

Our police clearance certificates expired, so we had to renew it, If your police clearance have expired in March you need to apply for it again unfortunately, maybe give them a call and confirm, but I am afraid you may not like the answer.  

Better not delay with renewing it, over Nov and Dec the police clearance takes extra long, we applied Nov last year.

Good luck

• 2 months later...

Hi

I was just wondering how long everyone else waited before getting a reply from DIBP on the Child visa 101 application? We submitted an application for our 11 month old son on the 7th October this year, got confirmation that it was received on the 10th October (submitted via courier facility to TLS) and payment went off credit card on the 11th October. I know we are a bit hasty but to date we have not heard anything further so we are getting a bit nervous...

We got PR in 2014 and activated our visas in October that year. We are in Jhb, SA at this stage but hoping to make the move to Melbourne early next year.

Thanks!

@KelsM Hi, We in very similar boat to you got visas activated end 2013. Added a son this yyea, want to be in Perth begin Feb. I am about to submit Child visa.

Got a question, i am planning to go to tls  Sandton in person monday but they say you can only pay in cash, its R28k!!! Really. I see you couriered and paid by ccard, can you explain the process you followed a bit? How did you get credit card payment right? Tried phoning them but they never pickup....

CableThief

@Cable Thief,

Durban TLS allowed us to pay by credit card when we went their to submit the docs - they had a card machine.

@ CableThief

I also tried to phone TLS regarding the payment of the visa application fee but no one returned my call.. Anyway, our initial visit to TLS Pretoria was a disaster. We had an appointment for 9am and tried to find a bank to draw the cash. This did not happen as we do not know Pretoria very well and I also don't feel comfortable carrying that amount of cash around. So we made our way to TLS. According to them, we could pay the visa application fee with credit card, but the TLS service fee had to be paid cash. Great we thought, until they asked where our baby was. Unless I read it wrong on their website, no mention was made about the applicant being present for biometrics.

We left without submitting the application. On their website they talk about the option to courier the application documents. We filled in the credit card details on the application form, paid the TLS service fee through Internet banking and attached a proof of payment, and then couriered everything to Sandton. It was received on Monday, and by Tuesday it was submitted to DIBP for processing. If i recall correctly the charge on the credit card was approx R25 600. 

We plan to be in Melbourne by May 2017, but are a bit stressed as we haven't had any further feedback.

@Niro How long did you wait to get a request for medicals for your child visa application? I know it is still early but I am feeling a bit nervous about not hearing anything yet. 

Yes, the service fee had to be cash. But the visa was paid with a credit card.

They tried to do biometrix on a 9 month old - that did not go well. The supervisor told the person that was attending to us that biometrix was not to be done for babies.

It took 3 full months after completing our medicals.

• 1 month later...

@niro Is there a requirement to stamp the visa within 1 year? We need to get a 101 for our daughter, and we were just in Aus in March '16, and aren't planning to go back until we emigrate which is in -+ 2 years time (Sep 2018).

Hi Grimuir,

The applicant normally needs to enter Australia for the first time before the initial entry date issued by the DIBP. This is determined by the expiry of police clearances and medicals (normally 12 months from the date these were completed). After entering Australia for the first time and validating the visas, the applicant is then free to migrate permanently to Australia at a suitable time however you should keep in mind the residence requirement for later applications such as citizenship or resident return visa applications.

Kind regards, 

Fiona Carre

@ Grimuir   

My son's visa was issued 27 Sep 2016 and his initial arrival must be made by 26 March 2017. So they gave us 6 months. Hope this helps with your decision.

• Like 1

So we lodged on 26th Sep through TLS, mid October letter from school was requested, 1 Nov we had to get a new AFP , Submitted on 8 November and visa approved 9 November.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi All

I saw some numbers being thrown around in the post regarding the child visa of around R25 000. I know the actual child visa costs is currently around R8500, plus then the PCC and medicals etc, extra. We were also quoted R45 000 through an agent for the whole process. Is the R25 000 the total cost without an agent? 

We are tossing between the option of leaving before having a second child or first having our second child then leaving. Our 189 visa is currently in process. 

Any idea on how long the child visa takes when applying without an agent directly after the child is born?

Thanks in advance

Claudia 

• Like 1

Hi Clauderoy,

on the website it states 101 visa cost at 2415AUD, not sure where you got the R8500
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/101-
We have had a 190 visa still in South Africa and then had another child, we decided to apply for the extra child 101 visa ourselves, I cannot remember the exact number but it was around R25k-ish for everything, the agents would have added another R17k or so,
our 101 visa took 3 months to be granted (nov-feb)

We had to fill in the forms and get medicals and new PCC for the parents,
We did not have any support system in Oz and decided to have the 2nd in SA. My friends had a support system in Oz and had their 2nd one there and it was a great experience for them
the oz office branch for submitting the forms was very helpful
If i had a support system there i would not think twice, the longer you wait the longer it will be before you all have citizenship

Edited by AlwaysThankfull