Poll for those who have or are going back

Riekie

For people who went back (or planning on going back).   

11 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you stay before you went back? (If you're still in Australia, how long have you been here)

• Less than 6 weeks
    • 6 Weeks to 6 Months
    • 6 - 12 Months
    • 12 - 18 Months
    • 18 Months to 2 Years
    • 2 - 3 Years
    • 3 - 5 Years
    • 5+ Years
  2. 2. Are you still in South Africa?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm stil in Australia and thinking about it/going through the process
  3. 3. Why did you decide to go back?

• Family Crisis in South Africa
    • Missing Family in South Africa
    • Not coping with the Aussie Culture/Way of Life
    • Lost your job
    • Better job Prospects in South Africa
    • Kids weren't happy
    • Living Costs in Australia too High
    • Couldn't cope without nanny/maid/gardener
    • No Support System in Australia
    • Visa Expired/Cancelled
    • Exisitng Business Concern in South Africa
    • Struggled to make friends in Australia
    • Didn't feel like you belonged
    • Other - If you choose other, please elaborate
  4. 4. Do you regret going back to South Africa?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm still in Australia and wouldn't know
  5. 5. Are you considering coming back to Australia?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm still in Australia and wouldn't know
  6. 6. If you could do it all again, would you have done it different? Please elaborate if Yes.

• Yes
    • No
    • Uncertain
  7. 7. Do you regret ever coming to Australia?

• Yes
    • No

Question

This is a poll for those who have gone back or contemplating (or in the process of) going back.

The purpose of the poll is to help those going through the same process or thinking about it.  

• Like 2

13 answers to this question

very interested in these results, but I wonder if people who are considering going back or have already done so, would want it publicised. I think there are probably many that do return that have previously been active on the forum, that may have done so on the quiet. Will keep my eye on this thread ?

I am very Interested in how many people are actually leaving SA too.

The poll is anonymous - unless you make any comments (which is optional), so no one will know who you are :) 

• Like 1

Most people who go back to SA do not hang around expat websites and discussion forums toI don't think there will be much of a take up on the poll / survey.

• Like 2

Haven't visited this site in a while. After 5 years in Australia, I left in 2012 and moved to the USA. I was very happy in Australia and didn't consider leaving but when I was selected in the US Green card lottery, I decided to go live there. After obtaining US citizenship I returned to SA in 2016. I have mixed feelings about being back in SA as I miss life in Australia & USA. In many aspects, it is good to live here again... no bad experiences of any kind that made me regret the move.

Edited by Superkruz
  • Thanks 1

@Superkruz perhaps you would be kind enough to weigh in on a recent post where somebody is trying to decide whether to stay in RSA or come back to Australia or move to USA.  Your recent experience and insights would be very helpful.

This is the link to the post: 

The general trend seems to be that 1/5 regret their move to Australia.  

Almost half of those who go back to South Africa (mostly for family reasons and to an extent the lack of a support system in Australia),  wants to return to Australia. 

I guess it is very much an individual experience and there are often circumstances beyond our control which affect the choices we make.  Having to return to South Africa for a family crisis for instance is not something we could predict (or know how it will affect us) until it happens. 

The beauty in life is that we all have choices and nothing ever HAS to be permanent. There is a big world out there... :)

Even after just a couple of months in Australia I just don't see me taking my family back to South Africa permanently. 

We're already dreading going to visit and having to explain to my son that he can't play outside because of bad people that might hurt him.  In South Africa, we'd have to go to McDonald's if he wants to play on anything remotely resembling what we have in every park in Brisbane.

I'm trying to stay away from the news, this stuff going on wrt the farm murders at the moment just makes my blood boil!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I'm trying to stay away from the news, this stuff going on wrt the farm murders at the moment just makes my blood boil!

Me too.  Sometimes you just can't get away from it as it's everywhere. The last few days my newsfeeds have been flooded with "wear black for South Africa" invites, video clips of Steve Hofmeyr & others having their 2 cents and endless social media groups showing rows and rows of bleeding faces or white crosses.  It's terrible what's happening in South Africa but it's not going to change. Never been back. Not going either.

7 hours ago, ChrisH said:

We're already dreading going to visit and having to explain to my son that he can't play outside because of bad people that might hurt him

We are going back for a visit next year before the final move to Oz and I will admit to being slightly nervous, especially with a young child in tow.

I have gotten used to being safe...

• Like 1

We got PR to Australia in 2015 and lived in Sydney from March 2016 until December 2017.  I had a great job secured before we went over, met great people and lived in a nice house.  We definitely had the perfect landing.

We decided to return because I have a business in South Africa and also because I missed the soulfulness of South Africa.

I tell people that I feel grateful to have had the opportunity to live and work in Australia and I feel grateful that I had the means and courage to return.  I must say I love being back and have a whole new attitude to being in South Africa and much happier being here.  I also equally understand why people would want to leave and to choose Australia specifically.

Happy to speak to anyone thinking of either going to Australia or coming back.

Edited by StephenR
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 9:38 PM, StephenR said:

We got PR to Australia in 2015 and lived in Sydney from March 2016 until December 2017.  I had a great job secured before we went over, met great people and lived in a nice house.  We definitely had the perfect landing.

We decided to return because I have a business in South Africa and also because I missed the soulfulness of South Africa.

I tell people that I feel grateful to have had the opportunity to live and work in Australia and I feel grateful that I had the means and courage to return.  I must say I love being back and have a whole new attitude to being in South Africa and much happier being here.  I also equally understand why people would want to leave and to choose Australia specifically.

Happy to speak to anyone thinking of either going to Australia or coming back.

Great post and good to see someone keeping in touch with the forum even after they have left Aus and returned to SA. Over the years I've hung out on a few of these forums and most folks seem to be disappear if they return to SA.

My own story, after about a year of planning, a LSD trip (Look See Decide) and a rushed 457 visa application we left SA in 2001. We went through the PR and eventually citizenship process. Fast fwd the best part of 18 years and we're very well settled, Aus has treated us well...no complaints! But now that the kids are all grown up we're very fortunate to be living the best of both worlds by spending a fair amount of time in SA but still calling Aus home. As we move closer to retirement the call to spend more time in SA is strong. We have old friends, family and of course the cost of living and even medical expenses is considerably more attractive in SA. I recently renewed a car license in CT and it cost me R390 ($39) where as the same car her cost me $680 (R6,800)

Eveyone's circumstances is different so it's not right to compare and then think if it works for then that it will work for us. Costs aside, our quality of life (family, old friends, etc) is a lot better in SA. I can now see why the English like to have summer homes in SA, it must be bliss for them! The only problem is the flights between Aus and SA are expensive and you need to choose your time around the airline specials which may not always be when it best suits you to travel.

I stress again, life for us in SA is good as we do not have to worry about young kids and their education. Our income is in AUD so we're not working for rondts and spending rondts. But then again we have family and friends who have great businesses and jobs in SA and they seem to do well. Kids attend good schools, get good jobs and non have any intention of leaving. In fact my brother applied for a visa for Aus but decided to spend 3 months here before making the permanent move.  I was not surprised when  he said that after much though and deliberation they had decided that they would remain in SA.

StephenR, I know so many people who have to leave SA to fully understand what they had in the first place. Yes it's full of challenges, some nasty and some not so easy to overcome. There's risks and then there are some great rewards. I think life is too short to miss out on the special things like family, friends and our special culture. I've often heard people talk about "the vibe". Hard to explain but I know one thing for sure, spending time in SA is food for my soul. I feel alive!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for such an amazing and honest post.  I am interested to hear the responses of others?

There is no right or wrong answer here.