Visit to Johannesburg

Mara

I will be in Johannesburg in August. I could make myself available on either Saturday the 27th or Sunday morning the 28th, if anyone would like to meet for coffee and a chat about life in Australia.

Not sure if any of you still gather for information sharing between families... but perhaps this could be one of those coffee club meetings!

• Like 2

Hi Mara, my family and I are leaving on the 6th September for Melbourne and would love to meet you. Where and what time are you available on Saturday the 27th August.  

@Smailo I will be staying with my sisters, who live towards the Houghton area, so I would say meeting in either Rosebank or Sandton, would be fine, I have no idea what a suitable place would be, but perhaps somewhere we could get either lunch or afternoon tea? My sister likes to do her shopping on a Saturday morning, so perhaps anytime after 1pm?

Hi Mara, we live very close, i.e. Norwood. Can we rather meet at Melrose Arch as the parking is not as difficult to find and congested as Rosebank and Sandton. Anytime after 1 pm sounds good, say 1:30 for either tea or lunch. If this is suitable I will make a booking. If anyone else is interested in join us, please let me know from a numbers perspective and I will adjust the booking accordingly. Looking forward to meeting you Mara.

That sounds fine to me, 13h00 will be a good time. There will be at least two of us. If you could Pm me your contact number and the name and exact place where we are to meet, that would be great.

Hi Mara

We live in Sandton we would love to meet with you. Please can you tell me where and when is convenient for you. 

Thank you

Sharlene Govender

@Sharlene I am meeting with @Smailo on Saturday 27th at 13h00 at Europa, 2-10 High Street, Melrose Arch, Sandton. If you wish to join us. I will send you a PM. You may wish to reply here how many of you there will be if you want to meet on that day, as Smailo said they would make a reservation.

Regards Mara

@Smailo thank you for your PM, received with the address and your contact details.

Hi, I live in Orange Grove and it seems silly not to join, we are just not that far in the process yet? I have diarised but I will confirm closer to the time. Mara you are amazing in your dedication to this forum it would be a real treat to meet you! 

• Like 1

@TracyClare thank you for the compliment, it is always lovely to hear that people are helped with what we do.

You are welcome to join us. Perhaps you can PM your mobile number to @Smailo as they have to make the booking and need to know the numbers.

I do look forward to meeting you all, it is always great to put a face to the people that you make friends with on the forum.

So the list grows:

@Smailo (2)

@TracyClare (2)

@Mara (2)

The date was not suitable for Sharlene, so we have made other arrangements to meet.

Anyone else would like to join in?

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:10 PM, TracyClare said:

Hi, I live in Orange Grove and it seems silly not to join, we are just not that far in the process yet? I have diarised but I will confirm closer to the time. Mara you are amazing in your dedication to this forum it would be a real treat to meet you! 

Hi Tracy Clare

I wanted to know where about are you guys in the application. I did not want to join the group meeting as I have a two year old and don't have a baby sitter for him so I have to take him along. I am meeting with Mara the 16th of August. If you want to chat you are welcome I can give you my mobile number...

Sharlene

Hi @Sharlene

So I have submitted my skills assessment, which took ages to get together! We submitted on the 15th of June and are only expecting a response in 12 to 15 weeks. I have found the process very frustrating. We had decided in February and it took that long. It sounds like I am in a rush but considering my age(37) and the age of my kids I kinda feel if we doing it I want to get there as soon as I can. Where are you in the process? 

Thanks Tracy 

Hi Tracy

We are busy with our Visa Documents. Our passports are ready so we going to fetch it maybe tomorrow. We still awaiting my Husband and my unabridged birth certificate and our unabridged Marriage Certificate. My hubbie is writing his English test next Monday so i am going to be holding thumbs.

My husband is in the IT Field. What Career Field are you in? Are you using an agency?

I wish you all the best and if you need to Chat or have coffee please let me know...

Thanks Sharlene

So I waited a while for unabridged documents, here I can help! So it is important to pester the Home Affairs contact center. (0800601190) Call them at least every two weeks to weekly, even if they tell you different. Sometimes it seems impossible to get through, on days when the line does not go through, try calling just after 4pm they generally answer. When I went to fetch mine the Home Affairs guy said I was lucky and I was like no I worked hard for these!!! 

I did the Pearson English and on the day I thought I had completely messed it up but I did okay, wish him luck!
We are trying to apply on my Social Work qualification if all goes alright! 

I am using Migrate2Oz, it helps to feel like we are doing it right! 

Would love to hear your progress, keep me updated! 

Perhaps we can meet up in August 

Tracy 

@Starbucks Yes of course you may.  Please send a PM to @Smailo to give them your details, telephone number etc. as they are organising the numbers and the reservation and contact.

Thank you. I look forward to meeting you all.

So, our list is getting longer for our meeting on Saturday the 27th August at Europa, 2-10 High Street, Melrose Arch, Sandton

@Smailo (2)

@TracyClare (2)

@Mara (2)

@Starbucks (2)

Hi Tracy

Saw your Email only now.. so weird.. as i try to read the new stuff on the forum almost everyday...

August sounds good

All the best

Sharlene

Okay guys, I leave here on Friday and once I leave I will only have very sporadic access to SAAustralia.

If you wish to still join in, or wish to cancel, please make contact with @Smailo they are co-ordinating the meeting.

I have the following people down for the meeting on Saturday the 27th August at Europa, 2-10 High Street, Melrose Arch, Sandton

@Smailo (2)

@TracyClare (2)

@Mara (2)

@Starbucks (2)

Look forward to meeting you all.

Have a great time Mara!  Look after yourself and come home safe! 

• Like 1

Enjoy the trip, and please take care. :) 

Mara is GOLD - filled with info, hints, tips, where to go, who to see, there is no end to her knowledge. Please use this opportunity to meet with her, not many offer their time to help strangers - Mara is like an Ozzie aunty to many of us here.

• Like 3

@Mel-B you are making me blush :wub: but thank you for the compliments!