Should I keep my SA Medical Aid for the firts while?

Skrag001

Hi. Does it make any kind of sense to keep my SA medical aid running for at least some time while we find out feet or should we just cancel, go over and get private?

Also how is medical cost covered when you come back to SA to visit family? Does the private medical and travel insurance cover this type of travel?

One more thing: I have some chronic medication that my medical aid covers fully in SA. What is the easiest way to get a script  to be filled (on a chronic basis) in AUS?

Regards

Johan

Hi.We have PR - sub class 189.  I realise after reading a bit that the type of visa changes things a bit :)

Regards

Johan

go over and get health insurance   right away. For example, Bupa has an agreement with Discovery where by  if you move from Discovery to Bupa  then you don't have to serve waiting periods. But if you quit Discovery and go on Bupa a year later, then its a different story. 

That is clearly there to stop people using having all their medical done in RSA   before moving over, then taking a year to sign up with Bupa. If you are over 30 you only have a year to sign up for Health Insurance or the life time loading starts to kick in  and you pay more tax.

Oh and don't sign up with Medibank ->  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-16/accc-takes-action-against-medibank/7515702. They reduced benefits, without warning people  (and still charged them the same). That's a big no-no in Australia. They were trying to improve their numbers ahead of listing on the stock exchange. 

Edited by monsta
  • Like 2

When you go back to visit family you need to take out travel insurance. Your private medical here does not cover you outside of Australia. 

Bring a letter from your RSA doctor with regard to the reason why you take your chronic meds and what they are for. As soon as you arrive, you go and see a doctor here and show them the letter, they may want you to undergo some tests before giving you a prescription,  so do it well before you need to get more meds. If you bring a six month supply with you... it should be quite easy to get sorted out. If your medication is on the PBS list then you will pay medicare rates for it. Private medical in Australia does not pay for medication.

• 3 months later...

Hi All, how does one cover 3 days in South Africa with medical aid? We leave on the 3rd of December this year and need 3 days medical aid. Discovery days they do not offer pro rata? So do we bite the bullet and pay 6k for 3 days or is there a solution out there? We looked at travel insurance but that only covers you once you are on the plane and in Aus. When we get to Aus we will get our Medicare done the very next day as we are Permanent residents in a 189.

7 minutes ago, Marcodasilva said:

Hi All, how does one cover 3 days in South Africa with medical aid? We leave on the 3rd of December this year and need 3 days medical aid. Discovery days they do not offer pro rata? So do we bite the bullet and pay 6k for 3 days or is there a solution out there? We looked at travel insurance but that only covers you once you are on the plane and in Aus. When we get to Aus we will get our Medicare done the very next day as we are Permanent residents in a 189.

Hi @Marcodasilva, we looked at this when we came over, for us it worked out the same price as keeping discovery for one more month so that's what we did.

It might work out cheaper for you to go with TIC.

https://www.tic.co.za/travel-insurance/products/emigration 

Thanks @Yuvi, spoke to Discovery and i dont think they cover permanent residents in Aus as we are not going on holiday.

TIC also only cover once you are on the plane, such a dilemma, pay full medicalo aid with discovery for 3 days cover. pay travel insurance for 2 days and then get medicare!!!

I'm a fan of whatever is the least amount of admin which to me sounds like you should let your Discovery cover finish the month in which you are going over.