Our Numinous journey …

Husky

Hi,

My wife is trying to get AITSL accreditation for her teaching qualifications so that we can apply for PR.  She has written the academic IELTS exam twice.  In her first attempt she got 9 speaking 8.5 listening 8 writing 6 reading.  In her second attempt she got 9 speaking 7 listening 8 writing 7 reading.  So considering BOTH tests she has achieved the required scores, but not in 1 attempt, since she fell down on the listening on the second attempt.  

Do you think AITSL would accept this as meeting their requirement if we submit both results to them?  Since she has got the required marks but over 2 exams, but not in 1 sitting?

Many thanks,

John

Edited by TimeToGo
error

On 11/8/2016 at 8:29 PM, TimeToGo said:

Hi,

My wife is trying to get AITSL accreditation for her teaching qualifications so that we can apply for PR.  She has written the academic IELTS exam twice.  In her first attempt she got 9 speaking 8.5 listening 8 writing 6 reading.  In her second attempt she got 9 speaking 7 listening 8 writing 7 reading.  So considering BOTH tests she has achieved the required scores, but not in 1 attempt, since she fell down on the listening on the second attempt.  

Do you think AITSL would accept this as meeting their requirement if we submit both results to them?  Since she has got the required marks but over 2 exams, but not in 1 sitting?

Many thanks,

John

First let me state that I don't know the AITSL requirements. But the straight up visa requirements are that you: Pass each section above the required score, in one sitting. So they don't even look at your IELTS 'average' band, even the official one, they only care that you pass every single section above the required band, to get the visa application points.

I do however think it is unlikely that AITSL would accept two separate reports and combine the results.

• Like 1

Ja, I didnt think so, but I thought there might be someone out there who has tried this with AITSL? Anyone with AITSL experience? Since the requirements are different to those for PR.

6 hours ago, TimeToGo said:

Ja, I didnt think so, but I thought there might be someone out there who has tried this with AITSL? Anyone with AITSL experience? Since the requirements are different to those for PR.

My wife had to go through AITSL but we were told by our agent (that we had at the time) that my wife needed to do the Academic Test and score a minimum of 7 for Reading & Writing and 8 for Speaking & Listening. We were also told that the IELTS test was most preferred or accepted by AITSL so we couldnt do Pearsons.

My wife got the score requires to satisfy AITSL but couldnt get 4 x 8's to get 20 points for our EOI & Visa App so we ended up doing IELTS again and then decided to fo 190 route.

I would suggest you contact AITSL or keep trying ;) 

All the best!

• 2 months later...

Have not written in my journal for a while. Was hoping that the next time I updated it, it would be all about how wonderful things were and to share our feelings of elation at having obtained our visas.

Alas, it has been 11 months since we started this process and exactly 88 days since we lodged our visa application in October and still no news. I know there are many who have waited longer and some who have not gotten this far, so acknowledge that this comes from a place of privilege.

Warning: Apologies up front for the sombre mood of this entry. I am writing this to try and unpack how I am feeling and hopefully help others who are feeling the same way. I believe that through “talking” through feelings I am more equipped to deal with them objectively. 

How does one describe limbo? Not knowing, not moving, not understanding. Stuck, frozen, immobile. The online Merriam-Webster dictionary (you know how much I like the meaning of words) defines the state of being in limbo as “…. a place or state of restraint or confinement; … a place or state of neglect or oblivion; … an intermediate or transitional place or state; … a state of uncertainty”. Yup, restrained, confined, neglected, uncertain are all good words to describe this state of mind. Having made the decision to emigrate to Australia and not being a particularly patient woman, this state of limbo feels a lot like I imagine jail to be. I have no idea when and if I will be “released”; I am completely dependent on people I don’t know and can’t see to make a decision that will affect the rest of my life; I am unable to make any plans or make any major changes until we have an answer; I have no control over what happens next …..

There it is …. Control. I can’t control this process. Epiphany!!! I am a firm believer that you make your own future. To do that, you need at least some control. So, what can I control? I can work hard at continuing to be patient; I can talk to my husband and all of you about how I’m feeling (if you don’t mind); I can continue doing research on jobs and houses and schools; I can choose to believe and have faith that this will happen when it is meant to; I can practice gratitude and presence. I’ll be honest, this is not easy. I have to keep reminding myself that our desire to emigrate to Australia far outweighs the discomfort we are feeling right now in getting there. It’s important that we also carry on living our lives.

Reading my post now, I am not convinced it will be helpful to any of you. If nothing else, know that if you’re feeling the same way I am, you are not alone and you are not going mad! Emigration is certainly not for the faint-hearted. More is nog 'n dag.

Edited by Husky
Number; Spelling
  • Like 6

If everything is in order, the application process is just a matter of time. At least you have that. Those of us waiting for an invite don't have nearly the same assurance. I think that should be enough to keep you going for now.

The limbo sure is inconvenient though.

2 hours ago, Husky said:

Reading my post now, I am not convinced it will be helpful to any of you. 

I have not started my(our) own journal, so I have piggy-backed / relied on you and others to verbalise this "Alice in wonderland" experience. Thank you.

I spoke to a relative this weekend, that is going through a divorce, which she did not want and this left me wondering about one's experience of trauma. (Yes I do believe emigrating is a trauma) How do one make sense of the feelings of helplessness or not having control against the backdrop not only inflicting this on oneself, but having to work so hard for it. 

I wonder whether the contrast of this perhaps amplify the feelings you describe,..- for me at least.

(When I say helplessness I do not mean it in the absolute/true sense of the word. I know we are in many ways the opposite of helpless because we are doing this, but these strong feelings aren't always reasonable)

• Like 1

Thank you @wonderer You are right, think it is all amplified because at the end of the day we are choosing to do this and want it so much. And yes, it does feel traumatic.

@Queque Thanks for bringing some perspective. You are of course right. We are very fortunate to have got as far as we have. Our journey has not been an easy one and I think my journal entry was an accumulation of all my pent up feelings over the past year. I hope your ITA comes through soon.

If I look at your timeline then your application has not been in for more than 3 months yet? Just hold on a little while longer, when we applied they told everyone to wait 3 months before starting to poke around. I know it's horrible not knowing the outcome of such a life changing decision, but this state will not last.

Vasbyt...amper daar!

• Like 2

I read your post Husky and I can really identify with how you are feeling. I remember very clearly feeling exactly the way you are describing, and to be fair...we did not have near as long as wait as you all are subjected to now back in 2013 when we did this process...so I can fully appreciate that additional time will only amplify those feelings. 

I am not a patient person, and once I make a decision...it is full steam ahead and any lull or pause that I cannot control drives me insane. The feeling of limbo, of not being able to make plans...it is so so tough...I know the feeling. I must say though, that this is not the last time you will feel this way, after your visa is granted...there will be other stages of this exact feeling too...think of this as preparation for learning to be patient and to just live your life every day - I talk from experience...I realized that while waiting for something to happen life was passing me by. It has been a learning curve of trying to just let stuff take as long as it takes and to live life in the meantime. Not easy...not at all easy...but I promise you can train yourself into it with alot of effort lol.

One day when you are in Australia and all established...all of this will seem so distant and far away...you remember it, but when you on the other side looking back you realize it went by quicker than you thought.

I remember when we were waiting for our visas, and then once granted trying to figure out when to make the move and how to do it all...I looked at people like Toitjie and Hadenoughofthejuju (is this still his name?) and felt so envious as how far ahead in it all they were. Already in Aus, building their lives. And now here I am suddenly...feels like time has just flown by and I have been in Aus nearly 3 years...I cannot describe how surreal the feeling is.

My mum always likes to say "this too shall pass"...and it will...it really will.

Well done on all your efforts to get this far, you have been through a lot and now your fate is out of your hands. Try turn away for a while and focus on things you can enjoy around you while you wait for an answer.

All the best for your process, I hope it does not take much longer :)

Bri x

• Like 4

@Husky

Reading your post is exactly how I am feeling. I know exactly the emotions you are going through and every single night I go to bed praying that I will get a answer tomorrow. That they will give me the opportunity to work and live a decent life in a first world country.

Every morning I wake up, check my email, log onto the immi site and check to see if there has been any progress. Every single morning I do this ritual.

So you are not alone - and I think that everyone who has applied for a visa has gone through this at some point of their process - whether it was waiting for UBC certificates, PCC's, medicals or the final outcome of the visa application.

All I am doing now is trying to remain calm, focus on work and keep myself busy. I agree with everyone else - we are so close - it will happen soon.

Thank you for your post though - it was great to read through it and understand what you are feeling. 

• Like 3

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last, rather emotional post. I had also just been told I was being retrenched. Talk about bad timing. Anyway, as @BriD says, this too shall pass.

Day 91: Noting events in my journal to a. Remind me of everything that happened when I look back; b. Hopefully help others not make the same mistakes I have made; and c. Show others that how they're feeling is normal (or maybe it's just me :P).

So our process has not been straight forward, hence the need for an agent and an incredible amount of effort and patience (ref: earlier posts). Yes, I know there are a lot of you who have also not had it easy and many who have had a far more difficult experience. I know how lucky we are to have gotten this far.

We received a further request for information from our CO this morning. Apparently my husband's Pearson English results had not been sent to the DIBP. I was convinced we had ticked the box for this to be done when we booked his test. Apparently you have to go onto the Pearson site after you have received your results and click on "send report" (hangs head in embarrassment for not knowing this :wacko:). With IELTS it is automatic.

Secondly they want confirmation that my daughter did not live in another country for more than a year or she needs a PCC from that country. She was on an exchange programme as a scholar, that lasted for 11,5 months. Does anyone know how DIBP define a year? Could be looking at another long wait *eish*

On a positive note. At least we know someone is looking at our application. Also, our new CO/ VPO has the same name as my father in law and we are taking that as a good luck sign ..... Hehe.

This is truly a humbling experience #breathe

Edited by Husky
Addition
  • Like 3

Ah..best of luck. I hope it smooths out for you soon.

• Like 1

99 days and counting ...... *big sigh*

Double digits! Better than triple digits. ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

114 days .... Feeling rather despondent. Cannot understand why our application is taking so long. We have ticked all the boxes.

After the circus that was SONA on Thursday night, we are more resolute than ever that Australia will be our forever home. 

Anyone else wait this long? 

Maybe we'll get a Valentine's Day gift ..... ;)

Hang in there, @Husky. It is so difficult to have waited 114+ days, while other have been getting their visas. We are both pros at waiting now. My wife and I are currently at 176 days.

Neither of us are close to @TracyAnne's record of 301 days. I remember reading her story last year, but she finally got her visas in August 2016. Keep the faith that it will happen for you soon.

• Like 1

Thanks @Kevin

Have been reading the August thread. My mind just can't get around why ours are taking so long. So difficult to make any plans. Remember @TracyAnne 's story. Still wonder if she ever got to activate in time. If I remember, her case was quite complicated. 

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. Hope your visa comes through soon. 

@Husky - I was actually wondering the other day how your visa application was going. I can only imagine the pain that the waiting is causing. I know that if I was in your shoes that I would be going crazy. 

In this case, I am sure that no news in good news. 

I really hope that you get a answer soon. Dont give up hope.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only logged onto our immi account now as our internet was playing up at home this morning to the wonderful sight of the words FINALISED and GRANTED. Seems that the 20th is a good day for us in so many ways. So grateful, so exited and so relieved. Going to bask in this feeling for a few days. It is just pure JOY!

Thank you to everyone for your encouragement, advice and care. Happy feet dance for us ..... :)

Will add more into my journal later about what this feels like. Just know that right now, it feels that the waiting was worth it. I believe I am glowing . Now, pass the champagne please.

:wub:

• Like 7

Well done!!! Happy for you!!!

• Like 1

@Husky - AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. I am so happy to hear that it finally came through. Isn't it weird on the morning that you log into your immi account a little later than normal that you see the update?

For me, it was the day i decided NOT to check my immi account that it was updated. It is madness :D

Enjoy the moment and congrats again. 

• Like 1