Our Numinous journey …

Husky

What amazing news @Husky :) 

All that waiting and you are now ready to move forward!!

So happy for you and your family and i pray that everything from this moment on goes smoothly :D

• Like 1

Hi Deezo,

Hope all is well since submitting your post?

I just would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding your IELTS etc if you do not  mind? 

Firstly I am also a teacher and Im going through the exact same thing  and Also 7.5 for IELTS Writing - yet this is accepted by AITSL, what was the problem that you mentioned that happened later if I may ask? (not in the mood for nasty surprises later on ) was it total points below 60?

Secondly, I cant understand why your agent would suggest the general test as it is clearly stated that you need the academic version as a teacher?

So then a brief update of my journey:

Decided Feb 2016 to emigrate to Australia or New Zealand 

We then attended a seminar hosted by  a Immigration agent, (very positive experience)

After the initial  interview with the agent  we had to do some homework to see if we qualify. 

Got my transcripts and letter of proof of teaching prac from UP.

Signed contract with the agents

Got all our birth certificates, marriage certificates etc etc sorted.

Wrote Ielts - scores as follows: 9 Reading, 9 Speaking,  9 Listening, and 6.5 writing ------ ugggggg

Applied for remark and registered for a new test.

Wrote the new test: 

Second result for Ielts:  9 Listening , 8 Reading, 8  Speaking 7.5 Writing 

Remark for  Ielts - a month Later they pushed my writing up by 0.5 so no I have 2 Ielts transcripts both with the required pass mark

All my documents in with Aitsl........ waiting in anticipation.... and this 10 weeks feels like a  life time - should know end of Sept. 

• Like 1

Hi @TeachinginSA :) 

Yes things are moving along thanks...slow then fast and now slow again but in the right direction thankfully :D

This is the part where we wait for the grant email (hopefully not a refusal or i would die :( ) 

Ok so our problem was that our agent advised us that we only needed to get 8.0, 8.0, 7.5 & 7.5 as that would be sufficient for AITSL on the Academic IELTS but little did we know that we fell short on the 60 points as a whole and only found this out when it came time to submit our EOI, which was annoying a frustrating as we could have avoided the delays and redone the IELTS again to score 8 for all sections. Nevertheless our agent was useless and never did her checks properly so we had no choice and my wife has to sit the IELTS again but because the Academic IELTS was only required to satisfy AITSL she could do the General and obtain the required band score for us to get 20 points as we wanted to apply for the 189 PR Visa and only had 55 points.

So to cut a long story short my wife got exactly the same scores for the General as she did for the Academic and we were told dont even waste your time requesting a remark as they dont award additional points so we eventually found out about the 190 PR Visa (again our agent never told us that the 190 was only restricting to that State for 2 years and not regional or rural like we were informed) so we decided to go for the 190 as were were tired of wasting time and money and the 190 offered us enough to at least have PR.

So if you have the 20 points for your IELTS and your other points give you the minimum of 60 then you fine :)  Obviously if you have more then you would be considered quicker for an invite etc.

Hope that helps but try and sort out Police Clearance if you can so long while you wait for Skills Assessment (as long as you are happy that your qualification would be on the SOL or CSOL)

On 6/8/2016 at 0:08 PM, Husky said:

Our Numinous journey …

I love words.

I love the meaning of words.

I love the impact of words.

Numinous (adj.) Origin: Latin

Describing an experience that makes you fearful yet fascinated, awed yet attracted- the powerful, personal feeling of being overwhelmed and inspired

One dad (an engineer), one mom (a possibilitarian), one daughter (17 and on youth exchange currently), one son (12 and already practicing an Aussie accent), three dogs (a Scottie, a Boston Terrier and a Golden Retriever – part of the family) and a numinous journey. This journal is a chronicle of our migration to Australia. It is there to remind us of every thought, feeling and decision along the way. It is there to acknowledge every person who helped or hindered our progress. It is there to show gratitude for the people who went before, those on this forum and others that have allowed us to move forward with our eyes wide open (thank you). It is there to hopefully inspire and inform others who are embarking on a similar journey (no journey is the same ….). It is also there to connect with like-minded people who are likely to become friends.

In the words of Anthony Robbins, “The only impossible journey is the one you never begin”. We have begun.

Two years ago, we had decided to move overseas for a couple of years to gain some global experience and have a bit of a family adventure. We got really close with 2 job potential offers, one in Singapore and one in Australia, and a commitment to making things happen (did I mention I am a possibilitarian?). At the last hurdle both offers fell through and I spent a day in bed feeling sorry for myself. We then attempted to start the Australian migration process by ourselves. Lack of knowledge and perhaps less of a commitment resulted in little progress. Then ……. my husband (the main applicant) turned 45 and we lost all age related points. Oh man. Learning – Use an agent.

At the beginning of this year we started talking about really making a go of it. We both love South Africa and have a good life, wonderful family and a close knit group of friends. We also have a daughter who will be going to varsity in two years and a son who wants to study one day. We feel it is our responsibility to open access to equal opportunity for them to go to good universities and get great jobs. Preaching to the converted I know, but trying to build our story for when we eventually tell everyone. Note – we have not told anyone of our plans yet …. Is that normal?

Journey timeline:

• Got all relevant unabridged birth and marriage certificates during 2014/15.
  • Hubby wrote first IELTS test in January 2016 – missed superior points needed (got a 7.5 for writing and over 8 for everything else).
  • I wrote TOEFL test in January 2016 – got points needed for spouse.
  • Contracted Migrate2Oz start March 2016 – they seem very popular. Hope they have capacity for all of us.
  • VetAssess submission for my qualifications and work experience on 29 March 2016 – no feedback as yet. Apparently they are running a month behind because of the number of submissions (big *sigh*).
  • Engineers Australia submission for hubby (experience only as we had already received a positive qualification outcome in 2015) on 21 April – positive result received in 2 weeks (you gotta love Engineers, so efficient).
  • Hubby wrote Pearsons PTE 3 times over a 4 week period – 3rd attempt the charm on 7 June with 88 for Listening, 90 for Reading, 84 for Speaking and 90 for Writing (Yay!!!!). Learning – do not ask for a remark with PTE. He had over 80 for everything on his second attempt, except for Speaking (never mind he is British …..). Needed 79 and got 78. We asked (and paid ….) for a remark and got exactly the same results. The test is automated and marked by a computer so unlikely to change but we thought we would take the chance.

Next step: Positive Vetassess (sending out positive vibes to the universe for this to happen soon) and then our agent will submit the EOI for our 190 Visa (applying via Victoria and NSW).

Feeling excited and nervous and so pleased I wrote this all down. It is cathartic :D

Robbins journey.jpg

WWOoooWWW.... Hectically inspirational. We relate to so much of your experience its unreal, but I'm feeling a little more motivated and determined than before.

English is also factor for us, hubby needs Superior English but I need to let him read this.. A heartfelt thanks.:wub:

• Like 2

Welcome @Lynnor :) 

Enjoy this journey with us all :lol:

Edited by Deezo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deezo said:

Welcome @Lynnor :) 

Enjoy this journey with us all :lol:

Thank YOU deezo:D

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words @Lynnor I have been so inspired by the members of the forum, it makes my heart happy that our story has inspired you :). You just have to stay positive throughout this journey. Hoping yours is a smooth one.

@Deezo :lol: Our stories are now interweaved for all time. As with all great movies with 2 storylines, there is always a point where the stories connect. Here's predicting a braai and celebration in Oz between the 2 families in 2017. 

• Like 4

On 6/24/2016 at 11:10 AM, Husky said:

“Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that's the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be too moved when the birds of his land are singing. Nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him if he gives too much.” 
 Alan Paton, Cry, the Beloved Country

wow - so touched by this... 

Edited by wonderer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Husky said:

@Deezo :lol: Our stories are now interweaved for all time. As with all great movies with 2 storylines, there is always a point where the stories connect. Here's predicting a braai and celebration in Oz between the 2 families in 2017. 

@Husky i love stories and i think we could all write a book or blog on immigration but in the end i love a story with a good ending and i feel we could all sit and laugh about our struggles over some drinks and a "braai" once we are in Aus. Again thats also the beauty i have found with this forum is that we can all come together as one to share our ups and downs and form possible long-term friendships that would - never have otherwise been - had we not decided to make this move! 

Have a fantastic weekend ahead everyone and all the best with your next steps and i cant wait to hear the good news as we each progress ;) 

• Like 3

Hey @Husky, congrats! I applied for Victoria sponsorship 37 days ago with 70 points. Unfortunately still awaiting a response. My agent said they are taking an average of 8 weeks, so I still have a few weeks to wait :-(

• Like 2

Thanks @JonathanR

With 70 points, sure it will be quicker than normal. Good luck :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This journey is such an emotional roller coaster. Reading about other people's visa grants last night and though happy for everyone, was feeling rather sad that we didn't seem to be moving forward. 

My OH wakes me up this morning with a silly grin. He received an email from Victoria with a positive State Sponsorship result and says to me, is this good? Yay, whoop whoop, ole ...... Took 33 days from EOI with 55 points (now plus 5 with SS). It is possible! Thank you Lord.

Hoping ITA doesn't take too long. Believe it is automatic. For today, I will focus on gratitude for moving another step forward. Onwards ...

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Husky said:

This journey is such an emotional roller coaster. Reading about other people's visa grants last night and though happy for everyone, was feeling rather sad that we didn't seem to be moving forward. 

My OH wakes me up this morning with a silly grin. He received an email from Victoria with a positive State Sponsorship result and says to me, is this good? Yay, whoop whoop, ole ...... Took 33 days from EOI with 55 points (now plus 5 with SS). It is possible! Thank you Lord.

Hoping ITA doesn't take too long. Believe it is automatic. For today, I will focus on gratitude for moving another step forward. Onwards ...

Congrats, I hope it continues to go well :)

• Like 1

You will have an ITA with the next invitation round. Congratulations!!! So happy for you :wub:

• Like 1

On this day, which happens to be my birthday, I am immensely grateful. Gratitude to God, to the universe, to our agent, to all of you for the encouragement and wisdom and sense of belonging to a very special community.

After a rather rocky ride and a lot of doubt over whether a couple in their 40s could do this, we received out ITA this morning. 

But that's not all ........

Our amazing agent managed to lodge our visa application (PR190 Victoria) and make the payment before 11h30. Now why is that so important you may ask, and why on earth should I be so grateful for that immense sum of money coming out of our bank accounts (ouch)? Because, tomorrow my daughter turns 18 and we would have had to pay an extra R10k, as she is then considered an adult. Talk about tight timing. This all got very real. No turning back now!

I know the journey is far from over and we need to get our medicals done and PCC organised. 

For today, I am celebrating life and good fortune. Thank you.

Gratitude1.jpg

• Like 5

Husky, let me first say happy birthday and then tell you to go full steam ahead... hubby and I were both 44 when we migrated, best thing we ever did!

Thank you @Mara

Your commitment to helping others make this dream a reality is so wonderful. 

We'll be Melbourne bound next year. Hope I get the opportunity to meet you and buy you a good glass of wine (or should that be a bottle?). :D

Thanks for sharing your journey Husky, it certainly does give hope to those starting their own journey rather late.  Better late than never though, right?;)

And a very Happy Birthday to you, it has already been a good day for you...I hope for it to only get better :D

• Like 1

With all of this becoming very real, we decided to tell our parents about our plans. Have sworn them to secrecy and will only tell everyone else once visa is granted (just putting that out there ....).

They were all so gracious about the whole thing and happy that their grandchildren will have more opportunity to live their dreams. At the same time sad about us leaving. Their support is so important and the fact that they are happy for us makes me feel rather awful about leaving them behind. This feels like quite a selfish thing to do right now. Know it is the right thing to do and I do not believe in having regrets. We are so privileged to be in a position to have options.

Mixed emotions ..... Up and down. Is there ever a point when one feels completely at peace with this decision? 

#sensemaking #mindracing 

• Like 2

My in laws reacted in much the same way as your parents Husky. At first a bit surprised and sad that they would not be able to see their grandson everyday and then after some time they got used to the fact that we would be leaving. One year in Australia and they can see that we made the best decision for our family. Their grandson can grow up in freedom and having fantastic opportunities while South Africa deteriorates around them. Your parents can look forward to visiting Australia and seeing this beautiful land for themselves hopefully. ?

@Husky I'm glad they reacted well. Mine also responded supportive, then sad and then a while later there was a bit of an attack that was very difficult for me. I realise that like for us, they also have a very complicated process to try and work through, and that we have engaged with it much longer. It was (is) hard though....

@wonderer

Oh my. Sorry to hear that. There are so many parts to this journey that make it difficult. Still firmly believe it will all be worth it in the end.