And so it starts

HopefulJo

Hi guys, just wanted to check in. My husband and I have started the process. We also have a 4 year old son.

We are going the independent 189 route and applying in my name as ICT Business Analsyt. We are working through M2O. All my documentation is ready for the assessment, so now M2O is in process of submitting the application to ACS. The support from the team has been great so far. Now holding thumbs for a positive outcome :unsure:

It is still a very emotional thing for me and It will probably get worse. :) I am changing my mind about 5 times a day. But I also know it is all about our son and the lifestyle of all the economical and criminal stress that is really taking it's toll on us. And just in general how the lack of responsibility is creeping up everywhere, government and workwise. 

It is also scary to know that every spare cent we have to save is going into this. We also still need to break the news to our families

But it helps to know that we are not alone and support is available. 

• Like 4

All the best @HopefulJo!!

Good luck! 

Remember the VISA system is an imperfect system run by politicians. So,  be greatfull if it all works out and you get a VISA.  But don't consider it a negative reflection on you if you if it doesn't work out. 

Good luck @HopefulJo

Keep persevering in the face of adversity. We also have had and will have challenges along the way.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of people elsewhere but out of visible sight or knowledge exactly in the same situation you are right now. Thousands more are also further ahead in process - you can get there too.  Many more are likely still to come behind you as well. 

• Like 1

Good luck with your application. Each day will bring a new emotion. Each day might bring a new curve-ball. Each day will bring a naysayer. Don't let it deter you. When you have a weak moment, go visit your nearest Home Affairs and you will be back on track :lol:

Deal with each curve-ball as they come. Don't look at the big picture. Take one day at a time - its less overwhelming that way. If anyone tries to convince you that you should stay, then they either have their heads in the sand or they are not taking your best interests into consideration.

If all else fails and you need to talk to anyone who will listen, pop back into the forum. There are many of us who have lived or who are living through what you are going through.

Hang in there. All the best

• Like 3

Hahaha thx WayneACT, the home affairs part is so true. Applying for our unabridged certificicates was very painful, pickup was ok but then I had to queue nearly 4 hours just to pickup our passports. 

Thx guys, appreciate the support. I am taking it day by day at the moment. Application to ACS went in today. Now we need to book the English tests

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo, just received a positive outcome on my skills assessment as ICT business Analyst from ACS! now for the PTE english test on the 25th and all the visa forms :-)

• Like 1

Congratulations!  We submitted recently and just wondering if it takes 12 weeks but looking at previous comments it seems it takes a much shorter time?  Did you submit a RPL if I may ask?

Edited by Lillie

Hi Lillie

Thank you so much

My assessment took two weeks on the dot. I only had to submit my proof of degree and then an employment reference letter as i have 10 years experience in the field I studied. Our HR department could only give me my employment confirmation and job titles, but no descriptions/responsibilities. So I then compiled a declaration statement that an employee signs that he declares my responsibilities and duties. Then a commissioner of oaths signs the letter as well

2 hours ago, HopefulJo said:

Hi Lillie

Thank you so much

My assessment took two weeks on the dot. I only had to submit my proof of degree and then an employment reference letter as i have 10 years experience in the field I studied. Our HR department could only give me my employment confirmation and job titles, but no descriptions/responsibilities. So I then compiled a declaration statement that an employee signs that he declares my responsibilities and duties. Then a commissioner of oaths signs the letter as well

Thank you so much for the info and well done again.  Good luck with the rest of the process!

Congrats, we are a bit behind you as well. received 1 of 4 employment references signed then I will also submit my application to ACS for skills assessment. I am applying with my wife and two boys (4 and almost 2). 

Thx Lillie, to you too

Thank you Jonathan, good luck to you too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oi so I wrote the PTE test yesterday, received my score report today. Scores were the following, really crap in speaking so will have to write again :(

- Listening : 90

- Writing: 90

- Reading: 81

- speaking: 60 :(

So disappointed right now. Also only heard yesterday that ICT BA point moved up to 70 points. With superior English I am only at 65.  Really praying for a miracle and a downgrade in July. 

Edited by HopefulJo

• 8 months later...

Haven't updated this thread in  a while.So much has happened :) We were granted our PR189 visas on 6 February 2017!  Has been an emotional roller coaster ride as we started to tell family and friends. Some more supporting than others, I think. It is one of the most difficult things I have ever done.

We will be visiting friends in Adelaide during the April  school holiday to activate our visas and do a bit of a look and see. Already made appointments with a few schools for some tours. We are so excited, our son is also marking down the days on the calendar. Although he probably does not understand the gravity of all of this. 

We are aiming for Adelaide for a few reasons. Our aim is to make the final move end of 2017 or mid Jan 2018. Now for all the planning and admin to start.  I think I might have more checklists and spreadsheets than our finance department :P But all very exciting and scary at the same time. Till Next time, Jo :cowboy:

Edited by HopefulJo
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...

Wow things are moving along swiftly now. Our activation trip during April was wonderful, and we made the decision that Adelaide it surely will be. It helped driving through the city, getting to know the area and shops and thinking: "We can live here" :D

The plan is to move mid January (flights booked for the 14th) to give us a week or 2 to settle in and get the admin, rental etc sorted before school starts. We also need to finish, school and work here and spend some time with family as they are spread all over.

We are waiting to hear back from a private Christian school we liked otherwise we have a few other options. We had a good look at the suburbs while we were there and areas we like. On the work front we are still winging it and keeping the faith that we will find something at the right time

House has now been put on the market and I will be finishing work at the end of November, as I will not be able to take any leave during my last month. Also busy getting container quotes and clearing out a bit. I like the cleansing effect the clearing out of clutter has. it is amazing what crap you can gather over the years :P

It is still an emotional roller coaster, but very exciting! 

• Like 6

You're on the right track so just keep going @HopefulJo . :)

There's still a fair bit to do but take it at the pace you've been going at. Time will fly.

It sounds like you're coping well thus far as well.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wow what a whirlwind  time it has been :-) we got a cash offer on our house and the registration went through the day before we moved out.  Container was packed on the 20th of Dec and we moved out on the 23rd. Absolute perfect timing :-) 

We spent the holidays with family and friends and made the big move over on the 14th of January to Adelaide. We have something amazing friends that opened their home for us and we were able to stay with them until we moved into our rental home beginning of Feb. Our son has also adapted well to the school and he loves it.

We have also both found work last week, My husband started this week and I am starting Monday on a 4 month contract. 

Only hiccup now is that our container was loaded on the wrong ship in Durban and took a detour to China :(  So we have another estimated 4 weeks of waiting.

It has been an emotional, exciting and roller coaster time, but not regrets so far. Just missing family and friends, especially after a passing this week, but otherwise we have really been blessed in our journey.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well done @HopefulJo

Really important to celebrate every success. Hear you about missing friends and family. 

1 hour ago, Husky said:

Hear you about missing friends and family. 

The missing friends and family won't go away but it certainly gets easier and easier. When I first moved I decided that I couldn't spend the rest of my life interacting via Skype / FaceTime. But as time passes and you remember the reasons why you left it gets easier.

However, when it comes to friends, unfortunately out of sight really is out of mind and you need to make peace with that. You have your life to get on with and they have theirs.

Edited by TamTam
  • Like 1