City Hobo

City Hobo was mentioned a couple of times on the forum in past years but not recently, and I just found it so thought I would share it again, seeing that we are looking for Airbnb accommodation in a suburb in which we might like to end up one day/at least test the waters in. It has short little generalisations/reviews on suburbs in all of the more major cities.

I looked at Melbourne and filtered for family-friendly suburbs (as this is what we'd need in future), within 5 to 10km of the CBD. This was a great filter and generated a list of suburbs I wouldn't have known much about otherwise. Then I did a separate search for median house prices for each suburb, and narrowed the list down further. The 'joking/not joking' descriptions are also a lot of fun to read, as I know that we wouldn't fit in with the Kew set, in a $2-million+ house :P

I hope it might be useful to others as well!

I'm sorry, but as a Sydneysider this list is anything but comprehensive.

The suburbs listed are pretty much older multi-million dollar suburbs. The largest growing inner city suburbs and Green Square precinct don't even feature? By 2020 it will be the most densely populated area of Sydney, and are some of the closet to the city, universities etc. No Alexandria, Waterloo, Zetland, Roseberry or even Redfern, which has had one of the highest year on year growths in Sydney.

"Family" suburbs are places like Surry Hills (where we lived for 6-months, the photo is of our local cafe, which funnily we we at yesterday), Leichhardt, Glebe etc, while lovely, the median house price is between $1,5 - $2 million and rentals are around $1,200 - $1,600 a week.

On Surry Hills, one of the most expensive inner city suburbs it says parts are derelict, near council housing and you don't feel safe? What BS, my family regularly go out at night, catch the bus into/out of town. 10-years ago, maybe, today the smallest house in Sydney, a mere 50m2+ ERF sold for just shy of $1-million.

Buyer beware on this site as I feel it tells only a fraction of the story and you'll miss out on some beautiful suburbs with good transport links, community and places that cost a lot less to live in.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

I agree @AFreshStart. I've just done a search for Adelaide and all the older and most expensive suburbs are listed as being suitable. It's really not a good site and gives very expensive advice. For example it has Burnside listed for Adelaide - probably one of the most expensive "old money" suburbs here. 

Take no notice of that site.  It's better to ask here or on Facebook group pages where fellow Saffas live. 

Edited by RYLC

Yup, there are certainly no filters for price, and it's not exhaustive by any stretch, no. I believe the descriptions are intended to be taken as subjective, not gospel (this is how I read them, anyway): some sarcastic and others perhaps digging up a bit of truth. Would not bet my life on the info but enjoyed reading it nonetheless :)

Trouble is that a lay person with no knowledge of Australia could very easily take that site as gospel. 

It is much better to ask fellow Saffas on here or on the various Facebook groups where they live and what their family set up is (kids, singles, couples) and then choose from a narrower selection.