self catering accomodation in sydney & adeleide

Ella007

Hi All

Myself and my husband will be coming to Australia at the end of the month to come get a "feel" of the possibility to living there. We will be visiting Melbourne, Sydney and Adeleide.

We have friends that we will be staying with in Melbourne, but when we go to Sydney and adeleide we will have to find a place to stay.

My question is...

where can I find the most reasonable self catering apartment or cottage? Iv been looking online but have not been very successful. I do not really want to stay in a hotel due to the fact that I want to cook my own food and "live" there for the 3 or 4 days we will be spending there. Get as close to the home feeling as possible.

Any recommendations will be great... dates are Sydney 08 - 11th May and adeleide 11th till 14th May.

Regards

Ella

Look on www.airbnb.com

The listings are often for people's actual homes (you can book a whole home or apartment so just choose that filter when you search).  It will be quite lucky to find anything under $100 a night just to give you a guide though.  And even caravan park cabins are about $120 a night so that's what you'll be looking at.

Staying in one of these properties will give you a feel for daily life.  The hosts are often available for questions before hand and there is usually wifi and basic groceries such as oil, herbs and spices available.  We once stayed in one on the Sunshine Coast in Qld and they had bicycles and boogie boards for the kids to use.  Even umbrellas, books and board games.  It was awesome.

Where ever you find check the public transport situation on Google Maps. 

Ask for public transport directions to the places you want to go and at the times and days of the week you will want to go. Always ask it for a trip 15mins later. The buss might only come once an hour and if you miss it,  then you loose valuable holiday time. 

But most importantly,  ask google the same of the trip back to where you will stay. The last bus may be at 8pm. It's vital to know that. 

If you are driving be very sure you know where you will park. You can't just drive into the Sydney CBD and expect to find an all day parking on the side of the road. Also,  wake up at 4:30pm Sydney time and look at Google maps.  Google only shows you the current traffic congestion. Ask google for your driving times while it's congested. A 15min drive at 9pm may be over an hour at peak hours, or it may not be. 

The reason I point this out is because a cheaper rental generally has terrible public transport options or is a long drive from the places tourists want to go. Why save $20 per night only to spend an hour extra on the train each day? Divide up the costs of your flights by the number of hours you will spend in Aussie.. It will make you think twice about wasting time. 

Edited by monsta