Just bought gem squash in Melbourne

Alfred

For lovers of gem squash who reside in Melbourne, or near vicinity, Spring Creek Organics are currently selling good quality gem squash at various farmers markets. Details are available at http://www.vicfarmersmarkets.org.au/farmer/spring-creek-organics. This isn’t an ad, just spreading the news as I’m hoping to encourage a better supply of my favourite vegetable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up, I have seen gem squash at stanly street butchery and at Harris farm market in st Ives (Sydney)

Hey @Alfred, way to go on your first post! (the way to the heart is through the belly...jip) :lol:

Thanks for the notice, I'll be looking for things like gem squash and mieliemeel from next month....hope some are still available then.

Woah..I just saw that the market is near Ballarat. That will be quite some drive for me... But still, good to know.

Ellenno. You shod go to a footy game at Olympic Park and find a few drunken westies (peeps from Western Sydney,  the poorer suburbs).   Then tell them they should try the gem squash from the Harris farm markets at the St Ives shops.  (St Ives is the Sandton of Sydney) 

I am sure you will get a few interesting comments.  Mostly behind your back. You might even find out what Aussies would call a "Sandton poppie"  :P ? 

Edited by monsta

@monsta, that is uncalled for.  Besides, your Westie mates wouldn't even know what a gem squash is.

I tried growing Gem squash this year - failed miserably it was a bit too late in the season when I started

I will try again next year, I also have some Cape Gooseberry plants that will hopefully last through winter for next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monsta said:

Ellenno. You shod go to a footy game at Olympic Park and find a few drunken westies (peeps from Western Sydney,  the poorer suburbs).   Then tell them they should try the gem squash from the Harris farm markets at the St Ives shops.  (St Ives is the Sandton of Sydney) 

I am sure you will get a few interesting comments.  Mostly behind your back. You might even find out what Aussies would call a "Sandton poppie"  :P ? 

Monsta,

Food for many people is tied to culture, a time and place. While personally I'm not a Gemsquash fan, many here might be. They are a rare commodity and all Elleneo did was point out that she'd found some in St. Ives, which is close to her in Pymble, your response seems both unfair and unkind.

St. Ives might be the "Sandton" of Sydney, but the fact is +15% of the population is made up of South African migrants, many of whom immigrated years ago, in the 70/80's when the Rand was worth more than the Dollar, they settled there and are most happy.

I doubt many moving today are moving there from South Africa on what the ZAR is worth and with the increased living costs in Sydney.

Sandton or not, if you live in Sydney and are looking for a rare taste of South Africa there's statistically a better chance you'll find what you're looking for in St. Ives. Would South African's living in 'poorer suburbs' longing for a treat not pass through there if that is where the ingredients they were looking for were?

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

I am not a fan either ( apparently they have just about no nutritional value, except for fibre), but they sure are a blast from my childhood. Anyone else's mums put creamed sweetcorn in the centre? The seeds are available to buy here, so shouldn't be impossible to grow. After the winter I will be attempting to grow peppadews and boerpampoen. I have devided the precious seeds into 5 bags and handed it to green-fingered friends, as to spread my bets. A neighbour has Cape goodeberries growing wild in her garden. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rozellem said:

A neighbour has Cape goodeberries growing wild in her garden. 

I think your neighbour might be a certain knowledgeable person, who frequents these forums??? :P

Where did you get peppadew seeds? I have some, but I'm a little skittish about getting them to Aus, as far as I know they are very strict about organic matter (like a few dried up peppadew seeds)

#afreshstartgotmyback! Lol

Hubby went to watch the Rabbitoh game recently and was very impressed with the wildlife :)

i shop at Costco regularly ,,I love the Bigass trolley and giant tubs of feta cheese! The bogan in me just jumps out, bearing 2 million tattoos,screeching like a banshee at her 50 children ...

seriously though...if you met me you would know I'm anything but a Sandton poppie..... Zefsideforever!  

Rozelle? Care to clarify what I'm like?

ag bugger it! Sandton (gem squash eating, Pymble living) poppie it is!

Edited by elleneo

Back to the thread..

lots of saffer products available in sti Ives region, I have also seen an increase in goodies in Thornleigh,pennant hills and not Hornsby...Woolworths and Coles having small South African sections on their shelves..very handy for Knorr soups when making a potjie and to satisfy the tinned guava craving!

All I will say about Elleneo, is that she is a foodie first and foremost. I pity the person who comes between her and a vital ingredient, irrespective of what country it originates from. 

Yesterday a local mum (on facebook) posted a picture of a bowl of fresh guavas and asked how she should go about preparing it. The non Aussies were giving recipes and trying to buy the fruit off her.  I personally didnt know it would grow here.  Learnt something new.  In my house, the kids would take tinned guavas over ANY other special treat ( cake, chocolate, icecream, etc). 

@RedPanda I plead the Fifth. 

• Like 3

Guavas do grow very well here!  We went to a public park in Brisbane and were astounded by the amount of guavas just hanging on the trees and lying on the ground under the trees.  Unfortunately they weren't fit for consumption as the fruit flies, etc. were having a feast.

I have often wondered why Aussies do not particularly like guavas? I have yet got to come across one that has actually eaten the fruit fresh and not out of a tin. Even tinned guavas are often difficult to come by.