How to: Import a Venter Trailer

GenDemo

It seems that many people noticed that I (and my wife, redpanda) am taking a Venter trailer over to Aus in our container. We got lots of questions about how to do this, to which I decided I'll write a post once I have gone sufficiently far into the process.

Hence ... here we are... and I'll do my best to outline the process as I have experienced it so far.

So if you want to import a trailer of any kind, there are a number of documents you need and a few things you need to read up on and check.

1) Find out if you are eligible to import your trailer

There is a simple (silly) "quiz" you can do online and it will tell you what category you fall under. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/quiz/

2) General useful information

The following site pretty much has everything you need to know https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/index.aspx . This page allows you to get various brochures on importing vehicles (see the three links in the blue blocks near the top). For more specific info about a typical Venter trailer this would typically fall under Small Road Trailers Option . On this last page, you'll find a link to the Vehicle Standards Bulletin Number 1 (VSB1) document - find a pdf download link right at the bottom. This is a complete legal document of what safety standards, linkages, trailer classifications, lights, reflectors etc you need to be aware of. It is quite cumbersome to read through, but take the time to do so.

One very important thing is to check that your trailer's coupling is on Aus/International standards. This is especially for the older trailers out there. Mine is a 2015 model so I had no problem. Section 16.3 (page 30) details this. I found all the numbers and stuff here quite confusing and ended up reading all sorts of legal/technical documents....this is not necessary. As part of the application process you need to stipulate whether your trailer's coupling is on Australian AS4177.3 standard, or the international ECE R55 standard (Venter had no idea what this was when I asked them). On the edition of the VSB1 I have, at the top of page 31, it details how to identify if your coupling meets this standard. You need to physically check your coupling and the markings stamped on it, to check that it meets this. Let me know if you need help with this part.

Another important thing is to check the reflectors. Again this is more for the older trailers. Section 13 details all this...take the time and read it through.

3) Documents you need

3.1) Proof of Purchase: I scanned in my credit card receipt and invoice from the Venter dealer.

3.2) Manufacturer's Certificate: This is a certificate that I got from my Venter dealer that states the model, Natix, Chassis no (VIN), Tara and Gross mass of the trailer.

3.3) Letter of Origination: This is a letter you need to obtain from Venter - however, in the end I attached the above certificate in 3.2 rather than this letter. None the less, having another document can't hurt and its free. You'll need to contact the Venter factory just off Main Reef Road in Jo'burg. Contact 011 288 9000 / ventertrailers.co.za / sales@ventertrailers.co.za. Contact them and ask for a letter of origination, they will ask your VIN - this is simply a letter from Venter stating that the trailer with the respective VIN was manufactured by them with the year.

When you get this letter, make sure that ALL the information is correct. It took me 7 attempts to get the letter, VIN and year model to match the trailer that stands in my garage. On the first attempt, the lady told me that my trailer with my VIN does not exist.

3.4) Microdot Certificate: This is a certificate I got from my Venter dealer when I bought it. New vehicles all have microdots, but the older one's wont. I think (but I am not sure) that Aus requires your trailed to be microdotted. There are a number of places that can do this for you, but I would recommend contacting Venter to get a reputable agent. Also, the application form for import, does not specifically ask for the microdot certificate, but I think it is good to have.

3.5) Your RSA registration papers is also a source of "Proof of purchase" and it also has some useful information in one document.

3.6) Technical information: You need to supply the technical information of your trailer that shows all the dimensions and weights. I have attached this for my trailer as an example.

I also took a photo of the rectangular black plate on the front of the A-frame that has the VIN stamped with all the appropriate carrying capacities of the trailer.

3.7) If you are reading this, I presume you will be using a shipping company to take your trailer over in a container. Contact your agent to find out if you should/need to "nominate a freight forwarding agent". Be this the case, you need to write a letter that gives the company authority to act on your behalf. You'll need a contact person, contact number, email and obviously the company's name.

3.8) Steam cleaning: When I started reading up on this whole process the Aus government site specifically mentioned that you need to present a steam cleaning certificate when the trailer lands that side. However, I cannot find that reference since, however, they do stipulate that it has to be very clean. Thus far I have not had mine steam cleaned.

4) Online application: https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/online_form.aspx

This is a fairly straight forward process. However, VERY IMPORTANT - USE INTERNET EXPLORER!!!! The payment screen does not work in any other browser. You cannot save your progress and come back, you need to do the whole application process in one go. I found it rather straight forward. On the form (and in the VSB1 document) you'll notice they talk/ask about aggregate trailer mass (ATM), we don't have this in SA, so I simply out in the gross vehicle mass (GVM/GTM).

The very last screen of the process takes you to a payment page on the Aus reserve bank site. Here you put in your credit/debit card details (this has to be from an Australian originating bank) to pay your $50 fee.

5) then you wait....it took 8 days to process my application. Then you get an email with a copy of your 'pink slip'. When you land there you need to notify the department and they'll post your registration papers to you. Send this email on to your shipping company.

6) no you are not done yet...you need to get a Police clearance certificate from the SA Police. Now, this part I still need to do. Once I've done this, I'll update this post to let you know how that went.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

GD

Venter Trailer Elite 6 Technical Info.pdf

Vehicle_Standard_Application_Form_v8.pdf

Addendum_IO3-Small_Road_Trailers_Option.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for this post GenDemo. Really helpful. I am in the same position, but an older trailer. I'll add my learning's to this thread as I get there.

• Processing the Import Approval.
    • thanks for the detailed info. really helpful.
  • Processing the export approval.
    • Deregister Trailer - vehicle registration centre. NB, remember to mark for export.
    • Microdot - as mentioned above, this is also needed for export purposes. all new vehicles and trailers have this, older ones not. Need to get this done for mine.
    • PCC - from my understanding this only lasts for 21 days, so timing is essential. Not sure where this can be done from though. Still investigating this and will update as I get more info.
  • Cleaning
    • Trying to find proper steam cleaning facilities for this can be a pain. I'll post numbers as soon as I have them
  • Delivery to Aus/collection
    • we are sending the trailer in our container. Need to check the approval for the agents.
  • Registration in Aus
    • Who knows. From my understanding you need to get a temporary registration to move the trailer from the freight agency. Then take to the registration centre / weigh bridge and see what needs to be done to the trailer to comply with there standards. get these done, and pay registration.
    • I'll add my details to this section when I get there.

Hope this also helps.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Any idea on how to go about this if the trailer was never in your name, i.e. a family members trailer or buying it off of Junk Mail before leaving?

Thanks

Hi Mongoose

Appologies for only replying now...

I think you'll have to get it on your name first, as they want to see proof of purchase for the import permit. I also believe that for the export permit (which I still need to do), it will also need to be in your name...

GD

• Like 1

Going through this process now. From my reading, need to transfer into your name, then deregister. I'll be doing this whole process next week Friday and Saturday, so will post my experiences.

Cheers

O

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been through the PCC and de-registration process?

I want to know what documentation I need and whether or not I need to physically take the trailer in to be inspected?

GD

GenDemo, i just did the pcc for our offroad caravan. You unfortuanatly have to take your trailer for inspection. Required documents are 4x copy of id or passport, 4 x copy of microdot document and 4 x copy of traler registration. I took the caravan to langlaagte testing station and was there very early and was number 3 in the line. It took about 2 hours for them to issue the clearance so not that bad. Tell them its for export to Australia they wrote it on the pcc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frandri said:

GenDemo, i just did the pcc for our offroad caravan. You unfortuanatly have to take your trailer for inspection. Required documents are 4x copy of id or passport, 4 x copy of microdot document and 4 x copy of traler registration. I took the caravan to langlaagte testing station and was there very early and was number 3 in the line. It took about 2 hours for them to issue the clearance so not that bad. Tell them its for export to Australia they wrote it on the pcc.

Thnx for the reply.

I am heading to Watloo testing station in east of Pretoria on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck. Also keep in mind Pickfords did not allow us to pack any personal goods in the caravan ( we are paying duties as we owned the caravan for less than a year) as everything in the caravan will attract duties. Seems a bit strange but we loaded about 100 boxes of wine and 4 new bicycles into the caravan as we are paying duties on them anyway. If you are planning to send wine email me its not so easy anymore and you require an export permit. 

So I just came back from the Watloo Traffic Department. It went well.

1) Mark for Export:

I had to mark the trailer for export first, before the PCC. They instructed me, that I should not de-register the trailer, but simply mark it for export. They required copies of my ID, registration papers, Micro Dot certificate and Proof of Residence. However, only one copy was needed. Also note that this is a free process, so don't let anyone talk you into paying anything.

2) Once you are done there, drive around to the SAPS inspection office. Here you fill in another form, with copies of your ID, Registration papers and Microdot certificate. Also just one copy needed. Then you wait for then to look at the trailer and issue you an "export permit". Its not really a permit, but it means you have been cleared to export the vehicle.

All-in-all, I think it took me 2 1/2 hours or so.

All the best,

GD

Thanks GenDemo. We are doing this this weekend as well.

Only problem is that not all areas do the Police clearance. We live in Edenvale, did the RPC at the Edenvale licensing department, We now need to go to Benoni for the PCC. So Saturday it is. Then clean clean clean and some more cleaning. Loading onto container next week Wednesday. All coming way too soon.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Yeah, as far as I could find out, only Langlaagte in Joburg, and Watloo in Pretoria does the PCC (that is what I could find out).

Good luck. We still have 2 weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Trailer pcc done in benoni. Took abit of time but all done.followed gendemos experience. Packed in the container today with all our other goodies. 3 more days in sa. Will post again when we are the other side of the pond trying to register it for aus roads.  Thanks again for all the info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any one have an idea yet of how things work when the trailer arrives here?

hi GenDemo

We have been in OZ for about a month now. The container has arrived in port, and we are now waiting for the inspections. From my understanding, once the import process has been done, we need to get a 2 week temporary license, and drive the trailer to the inspection yard. Here they will weigh the trailer and do an inspection and inform of anything that is needed to get it registered. If everything is fine, then you can register. else we need to get the modifications done. i'm expecting a few small items here, like the electrical connection, tow hitch and reflectors. But will see.

Once I have gone through the process, which should be in the next few weeks, i'll post again.

• Like 1

cool, thnx for the info @orinoco

So I've just come back from speaking to my local testing centre. They say that as long as the trailer is under 3 meter long in total length and the car that is doing the towing is not smaller than the trailer, the trailer does NOT need to be registered, does not have to go through a test and even, does not need a number plate (which explains the karboard number plates I see around).

I am going to VicRoads some time to just verify this.

Please do check when you have a tow bar fitted to your car, what type of electrical plug they put on - as I did not, so I have the wrong plug...

So we went to Repco today (btw, Repco is a REALLY nice shop - they also have bearing kits and trailer wheel hub packages for sale), they have converter plugs for about $37 - this is about a 15cm long converter from a 7-pin flat plug (Auzzie standard) to a 7-pin round plug; or you can buy a flat plug for about $31 to replace your plug. I am going for the latter option, and when I go to pick up my trailer, I am just going to change the plugs. PLEASE NOTE: the wiring is different on the Auzzie plugs to the RSA plugs, though the wire colours seem to be the same. If someone would like help on this, let me know.

oh and PS  our Honda sales agent confirmed that the trailer does not need to be registered and does not need its own number plate.

Ok sorry, I know I am spamming, but I got it:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/new-registration/register-a-trailer-or-caravan

Trailer and exempt registration

A light trailer (or caravan) does not need to be registered to be allowed on public roads in Victoria if it:

• weighs less (tare mass) than 200kg unladen
  • is not wider than the towing vehicle as produced by the manufacturer
  • is 3 metres or less in length, including the draw-bar and any load
  • is not built specifically to carry a boat
  • is not used for business purposes.

Exempt trailers must display the same registration number as the towing vehicle or you can purchase an exempt trailer plate.

You can still choose to register your trailer, even if it is exempt. In many other states, including NSW and South Australia, all trailers must be registered.  If you intend to tow your trailer interstate, it is recommended that you register it in Victoria before you travel.

Then there is this bit as well:

You'll need to get a Certificate of Roadworthiness for your vehicle to bring to your registration appointment. You can get a Certificate of Roadworthiness from a roadworthy tester location. 

You will not need a Certificate of Roadworthiness if your vehicle is brand new (other than a taxi (External link)

A brand new vehicle is a vehicle that has never previously been registered in Victoria or another jurisdiction and any kilometres on the speedometre are incurred in the delivery and sale of the vehicle to the owner prior to initial registration.  

So it seems that, as in my case, if it is a new trailer....I don't need to do anything.

Thank you GenDemo your feedback is very helpful. Our container cleared and Allied delivered everything including the wine etc we packed in the caravan. All looks fine and it seems the wine actually transported well inside the caravan and did not spoil. When i had to collect the caravan i also looked at the diffrent plugs and on our Land Cruiser we have both the flat plug and small Australian plug. Funny enough on the Prado we bought new there was the same plug as what we use in SA and according to the Toyota salesman thats the "new" plug for Australia but i dont know about that. The wiring is diffrent so i took the Australian wiring diagram with me and was planning to change some of the wires on the caravan plug when i picked it up. After taking it out of the Allied warehouse i decided just to check what worked before i started taking everything apart. Brake lights and indicators worked so that was good enough for me to take the caravan home and will in time decide on what plug to use. I used a friend of ours trailer to pick up some plants and his trailer had the small round australian plug and it is very easy to use so maybe i will go with it. 

• 4 weeks later...

@Frandri no problem, its a pleasure.

I picked up my trailer from the Crown warehouse the day before yesterday - it arrived pristine and I never had it steam cleaned.

I sat in the parking lot and changed the plug, while my wife copied our number plate onto a card board piece and taped it over the Gauteng plate.

Happy towing everyone...hope you all get sorted.

PS, afterward I found out the electrical plugs are half the price at Jaycar, than Repco...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...