Just Joined

iceogre007

Good day Everyone,

Me and my wife has started the process for a 189 visa. My wife will be the main applicant for a secondary teacher. I am currently in IT as a systems engineer. We are still at step 1 but hey we are already very excited.

We were looking at Queensland maybe brisbane.

This forum is a great resource and I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and information.

Regards

Edited by iceogre007
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like our story, I am the wife applying for the 189 and my husband is in operations in IT!

Also at step 1! 

Good luck to you guys, our start has been a little frustrating

Welcome, and good luck! ;) 

@TracyClare good luck to you too, where are you heading?

@RedPanda thanks for the good wish

Edited by iceogre007
missed spelled

No set destination, wherever work would take us but definitely big city I am from Joburg, not good with small towns. 

There seems to be very specific cultures to each city and a lot of advice from a lot of people, but I am going with, we will go where we end up! 

41 minutes ago, TracyClare said:

No set destination, wherever work would take us but definitely big city I am from Joburg, not good with small towns. 

There seems to be very specific cultures to each city and a lot of advice from a lot of people, but I am going with, we will go where we end up! 

Go where you find work. ;) 

• Like 1

Absolutely go where there is a lot of work in your field, unfortunately a person cannot eat sunshine!

I and the wife are looking up the Sunshine and Golden Coast and Brisbane, but true statement about the work. I hear that people are struggling with work and stuff in Perth and those areas.

We need a job for the wife and then I can get one close to where she gets one.

Specializes in Secondary School teaching with Maths and IT(CAT)

Perhaps start researching the teacher registration requirements for each state. They are all different and you have to be registered with the state you teach in. 

Does your wife have any classmates who migrated to Oz as it would be helpful to hear from somebody already in the field. Nowadays it can be difficult to get permanent work as a teacher. Most contracts are for 10 months so that they don't have to pay for long holiday over Summer.  There are quite a lot of job share arrangements and/or making do with relief teaching. Since she is the main applicant you would benefit from a realistic overview of teaching in the state you are aiming for. 

Edited by RYLC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We've recently started the process as well, with my hubby as the main applicant and we'll be applying for the 190 visa.

We are using an agent as our case is not a straight forward one, but still at the very beginning stages and hoping to proceed with the assessment through Vetassess by month end(if not sooner). It's all very exciting and nerve wracking at the same time! 

This forum has been a great source of information and comfort thus far, and I look forward to being a part of it.

Good luck to the other newbies!

Welcome to the forum. It seems like everyday there are new members joining this forum or maybe that's just my assumption. According to Don at Cargopak who I spoke to recently there is a mass exodus of people leaving SA. I guess they would know being in the business.

All the best for your journey to down under ?

Hi iceogre007,

There are various free practice tests and preparation information available, eg. http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare-test/free-practice-tests

I've also found quite a few helpful tips from members on this forum; just type IELTS into the search function above ;)

Best of luck!

Hey iceogre007

I agree with Chezzy, practising the tests on the ielts website helps! Knowing the structure and what to expect is a must.

There is limited time with each of the subtests, so working according to a timeframe is important during the test.

I hated doing IELTS, good luck!! Had to write twice to get 8 in all subtests, the writing was the hardest part for me,reading, comprehension and speaking not too bad. Sure it will go well:-) let us know how you progress with your plans!