Not Working Here...Where Will It Work??

SmellyN

Question

Sooooo 883 days odd in the country and we are worse off than we have EVER been in our lives- Both unemployed and for all intense purposes "homeless" still etc. (Although a few months back that WAS a reality too, so been there done that already!!!) We are LOSING EVERYTHING we have worked for, given up on a commitment to a Country & (now ex) employer (again) that doesn't back up it's legislations and leaves little old us dazed, confused and abandoned in the grey areas of Legislation. HELP!!!!!!!! Time to call it quits?????

• Like 1

Have you looked at Northern Territory ? So sorry to hear what you are going through-incredibly tough for you all. 

@ottg thinking hard and fast that no-body can -the real perpetrators of this tragedy/shell that is our lives at the moment haven't been brought to justice. Our story hasn't been fully heard....like a member from a Government Department today said....maybe it IS time to talk out and spray it out all over the news maybe THEY will then be FORCED to acknowledge the wrongs they have done to us....the damages they have left...we are trying to find our self-worth here and we are not being offered any options to work with....the reality is we need work....it CAN be that simple....it boils down to MONEY to live and continue, which there isn't....it went too far...we pleaded for it not to happen, nothing could have prepared us for this...

Oh no! Did you move to WA for a job? Are you both engineers? Are there any FIFO jobs? 

I really hope that something comes up soon. Don't give up!

SML - Hubby is the Technical person. I am trying to return to work after having last child almost 3yrs ago. FIFO doesn't/won't work as no mining experience. No one willing to give you a chance. Sponsor dropped us under 2yrs & we are stuck ever since. Burnt all leads of Industry he was specially brought over to work in. No-one willing to take responsibility for the contraventions against Legislation that occurred with us. Caught in the grey areas. Emotional wrecks.  We have shut-up about it all in the hopes to give it all a chance to settle, but have to face the sad reality that maybe it is time to give up on it all & even now it feels too late as we are actually trapped in this country (Australia) and can't even afford to go back to RSA. 

I can imagine you are emotional wrecks! Can you get some help from Centrelink? What about Hubby doing some Uber taxi work in the meantime? I saw an advert on FB recently. What occupation do you do? Wish we could help. 

I am so sorry that you are in this predicament. We all come here with hopes and dreams and when the reality doesn't pan out it is extremely scary. You didn't say what kind of visa you are on...is it a sponsored Visa or independent. Are you applying for work in other states? Not sure if you are in WA but that state is dead. I really hope things improve for you. Have you looked into all your options? Maybe look for any job until you get on your feet again not sure what visa you're on so don't know if this advise is even applicable. All the best.

@SML Don't get me wrong- Centrelink provides the bare necessary (probably more than we would ever receive in RSA/ if at all) Have explored a number of options including Uber. Not working out. @emmayenkanna We are Permanent Residents on 186 Sponsored Visa -BUT we have done our "time" and have confirmation to live & work wherever we need to. We're applying everywhere/ for everything. Can't even get a job dishwashing!! At food relief every week. It's crazy. Feeling nothing more than bums at the moment. Not in a good place. :(

:( My goodness - sounds incredibly tough especially with children. I am very sorry. 

Probably a silly question but would moving interstate be an option? I understand that employment opportunities in WA aren't good at the moment. 

Edited by Shellfish

@Shellfish we've just moved Interstate from Vic about 9mths ago following a good work lead which ex-employer burnt once we got here. (Looonngg Complicated story, but bottom line is no-one wants to take responsibility for what happened even at Parliament-level, including Immigration even though we stuck by our visa obligations- it's not enough to just say your free to stay here - we need work & a future. All resources used up. We are stranded. Can't even afford to go back to RSA even if we wanted to.

If there is a community noticeboard facebook group for your area try asking on that.  People have done that in my area and people have been very supportive.

I'm so sorry that you are in this position! What do you do? I can see if I have any contacts....

Nelly, your inbox is full or something, you can't receive messages. Please go onto Aussiekaners on facebook and ask if anyone knows of a work lead for your husband. Be specific in what he does, where you live and that you will move anywhere.  Good luck. 

@ rozellem Thks- hadn't cleaned out box in a while! Sorted now! Everyone else: we are trying all sorts of things EVERY single minute of EVERY single day. We try & stay "positive" to reflect "positive" but it is just not that easy anymore. There are dark thoughts and feelings running around I wish not to discuss on here, but I am sure anyone who has been there will understand. It's crazy. We feel "duped" by all the systems. Nothing but the cheapest labour at the time that was available and tossed aside like a cabbage leaf at the end of it. That's the problem with the Corporate world too. The old saying Grass isn't greener on the Other side rings true. Hubby is a Field Service Engineer (Electrical, Mechanical & Electronic) & Project Manager; also Aircraft AME (but that's worse as he won't get work easily due to currency/ last working out of the industry quite a while back)- the down side is he still doesn't have his Electrical Licence and for all intense purposes blocked unless he goes to NZ to get it recognised (He is Licenced in RSA) The old story about the Old Man's Club here in Oz. We don't have the money for any more assessments or training etc. I have Cert IV in Small Business Management and can do anything from cleaning up to Plastic Injection Moulding Machine Operation and Screen Printing; Farm Work; Hospitality work etc. etc. We have put out leads, made requests and are just tired after 9mths of living on the edge. We simply can't do it anymore and live the lie that this place is for us. We are almost worse off than we were in RSA - at least the crime factor is transparent there.

Soooooo....just had the "unthinkable" happen and no it's not employment....There will clearly be no going back to RSA.....Land of Corruption, Crime and everything evil....This place isn't much better though at the moment for us in other ways ...dark, dark, dark days indeed.....what a royal F-up......

The boom time for Western Australia has finished.

China is not buying the raw materials from Australia like it was five years ago and this leaves some parts of Australia (Western Australia) in the doldrums.

Going to Western Australia at this particular time doesn't make good sense and it doesn't surprise me that you are looking for work and not finding it easy.

If I were in your position, as the man of the house, I'd be leaving home to look for work outside the locality where I was living.

If it meant I had to travel to a country town and work in a shop or on a farm, then I'd do so and send money back to my wife and kids.

I'd be finding out from other Australians where work could be had and head for that part of Australia where the work was . . . . . picking pineapple, cutting sugar cane, harvesting crops, working on a road gang . . . anything to keep the money rolling in.

I've found that when people see what sort of work ethic you have, they recommend you on to someone else that can use your work . . . . but you've got to put yourself out there and wear out some shoe leather first.

Eventually, times will come good again.

That's been my experience in life.

• Like 2

@Bob Although I hear & understand the sentiment- easier said than done. We're out of time. We didn't head to WA on a whim. There was a chance for secure employment. While we were travelling across finalising things/figuring things from shock of harse, unlawful dismissal ex-employer saw fit to make things worse and burnt the lead. It's unlikely that he'll ever be able to work in the industry again with their scum mafia tactics. What they fail to acknowledge, it was bigger than just an employment contract (which said contract was an entire sham from the start) Their actions having far-reaching effects more than we ever could account for. A fact we pleaded through the construction in the last week. Instead they chose to bully and pounce on one of the weakest moments in our lives when we had to face a physical illness/crises in our family!! Very un-"Australian"!!! Not something said Corporate international company advertise to the world and the consumers/users of their products, machinery & concepts!!! They hide behind their PAID henchman & representatives to squash people like us. & No there isn't any Justice or relief from the very systems that are supposed to be set up to protect us!!! Namely Government Departments who now say they "cannot enforce" the legal obligations of the very rules THEY made!! People make sacrifices for these obligations to meet the "bar" that is supposed to be so high! What a joke!/Tragedy/Farce!! Human-kind is a sad pathetic excuse of organic material the day this type of stuff happens. The balance in the world is not right. Australia hides behind smoke & mirrors. How do you assimilate into a society of liers and legal cheats - be as corrupt as them?!? I think not -we're not perfect but our efforts are at least genuine & true. More people should hear of this and speak out!! We have spoken to & seen other go through the same. We are not the only ones!! We took an informed decision before coming over! We weren't aware that the corruption isn't as transparent as RSA along with other things!! People need to guard even more against these things before coming over. Like Migration Cover which I see some people have started which wasn't available for us then. It's not the land of milk & honey like some people believe from 10years back when they made it big. The world is in crises Australia is not immune!! We are trying to be positive through this. (All 5 of us involved) It takes it's toll. We have a little bit of humour left from being "tempered" in the fires...although it is more irony at the moment. This is just our life experience and that is/must be worth something to someone out there who can learn from our mistakes in trusting others who betrayed us. Happy Easter! (Ironic too) To all be safe out their with your families wherever you may be. Regards: Yours in (admittedly) rough ex-South African/ Not yet Australian enough Permanent Residency humour....

I am sure that you are not the only ones in this situation. We tend to hear all the good stories on this forum and hardly any of the bad ones, probably because most people don't like to talk about the bad things or for that fact hear them. We have very good friends of ours currently in WA been here 3 years on a 457, company completely messed up his visa and they should have had their PR by now.Unfortunately now he has been retrenched and is frantically searching for another sponsor. He is based in WA so will look far and wide. Not a happy situation at all after all this time in Australia.

These sort of experiences are bound to make you extremely bitter, all you wanted was a good life for your family and people have let you down big time. It doesn't mean that this is the norm and the vast majority of people coming over have good experiences. I would have also suggested what Bob did previously, if one of you could move and try and find work elsewhere until you get on your feet. Do anything because its better than nothing. Do you have any family here that can help you?

Before coming to Australia my husband and I had a plan that we would move to Oz and if we couldn't find work in 7 months then we would go back to SA. We said 7 months so that we would not be exhausting all of our funds here and thereafter have no options to go back. It is a very difficult situation but there are always options. Just keep plodding away. Go on to the facebook pages and ask for work, check gumtree. There must be some kind of work for you both or one of you. Can Centrelink assist you in any way? If you have been in the Country for 2 years (I think) you can claim the Newstart. The family tax benefit should also be increased and this I am sure will help somewhat. Find out what you are entitled to until you can get back on your feet. I know you are angry and rightly so, but try to stay positive. It is not easy as you are in despair but through any dark times there is always the light.

@SmellyN

I am so sorry to hear of your trauma. I have had the same, twice over. That is the reason we are moving to the east coast. We also had a few goes at PR (4 attempts) and had actually run out of time when we got the visa. Just so you know, the 2 year rule is enforceable, buuut....if economic conditions are bad the employer can let you go with no consequences. I know its hard to stay positive, I have been down to the wire twice and know the emotions that go with this situation.

Take a breath, go for a walk with hubby and maybe just a stroll to the park or the beach. Sit down and just ask, "Where are we going Lord?" For some reason I have a feeling you will get an answer, probably from something around you. Regardless, I will be thinking of you guys a praying.

Cheers

Surferman

• Like 5

@SurferMan Thks. Sure. I do understand. We are trying to pick up the pieces. PS- are you still in Yanchep? Can't seem to send you pm?

• Like 1

Suffering the stress of immigration and then being short changed, not once but twice, in a short span of time is not easy to deal with - in fact post traumatic stress is nearly inevitable. Getting out of that downwards spiral now will take double the energy and effort...and it will get worse everyday. Very few overcome that unless they have a solid strategy.

Here is an analogy: from past experience as a small business consultant in Australia, I often saw when small business owners put their entire life savings into their business and things turned pear shape. The emotional stress worsen their situation in that they struggle to think objectively. (Including their family/partner relationships). The problem even gets worse in that, by the time they seek help their business have nearly "bleed to death" and it so difficult to turn the business around as they have very little reserves left; financially and emotionally. Usually by then all marketing have been stopped, less than skeleton staff available (if any), they work 16 hours a day to fill the gaps, less stock is available etc and struggle to deliver on a few existing orders due to late payments from customers (long cash period) and their business literally choked to death.

This is where someone looking in from outside can help, because such a person doesn't have a blurred vision due to the emotional daily trauma. Although there are no guarantees in life they are often in a better position to give guidance - providing the owners are prepared to listen (which is often the real cause of the problem). The only way is to increase cashflow or close the doors. To get out of this mess usually requires a multi-prong approach, meaning that a lot of things need to come together to be successful. BUT the single most important thing was that they needed 10 different, low cost marketing strategies to be executed simultaneously and consistently, as they wont know which will work for them...end!

This is no different in finding a job selling yourself as a product!

• Like 4

We're also looking for work (for me) trying to make ends meet, can relate! Much Love and Luck to you all over this time ❣.¸¸.✶❥•დ°

• Like 2

SmellyN, are you NOR? I am in Duncraig, working in Clarkson 3 days per week.  If you want to go for a coffee, let me know - It is hard, especially if you don't know anyone. I found that, at the moment, you can more likely get a job if you know someone who knows someone.  Join as many regional facebook groups (the Christians in Australia one too) and put your story out there - who knows, someone might be able to give you a chance. Sterkte!

• Like 3

So, so tortured....don't get me wrong - we're Religious ...right now Religion can only help so far.....right now it's not the answer for us/ the solve-all of all our problems...the evil in this world has done it's damage to us and there's almost no getting up from this...we are well & truly trapped & screwed for lack of better wording....perhaps even damned....don't know what we ever did to anyone in the world to deserve this....