Citizenship issues

Erik

Hey folks!

I did the online citizen check and apparently we are eligible in this year already...;)

I was under the impression that they only started counting the years once you settle in Aus, but it seems they are also taking our validation trip into account.

Maybe someone who knows the rules can confirm what I hope is true!

We did our validation of our 175 PR visa in early October 2012 and moved here early September 2013 permanently. According to the site we are eligible end October 2016, but I figured we would only be eligible September 2017.  

Please let it be true that 2016 is our year!! :rolleyes:

The other thing is between Oct 2012 and Sep 2013, we had our son who had to get his own child visa. Would he also be eligible when we are or only 4 years after he set foot on Aus soil himself?

If we can get it this year, I'm guessing we will need PCCs for RSA for 2012-2013 that we were there... :wacko:

Ciao

Erik

Check my post for info:

You might scrape in with not needing the police clearances....

Give the citizenship helpline a call and they will clear it all up for you.

• Like 1

I have just recently applied for citizenship online.  Nov2015 and had my interview / test 2 weeks later!.  

One of us needed a police clearance, which was received back from SA mid Dec.

And citizenship ceremony was Jan2016.

All really quick.  And yes, we also qualified much earlier than expected.  

Be warned - a PR visa allows you to stay indefinitely, but after 5 years, you require a multiple entry visa if you wish to leave and enter Australia.  This visa is more than the citizenship application, so don't delay.

the online stuff is easy and straight forward.  A lot less daunting than you'd think.

Good luck..

J

32 minutes ago, Settled said:

Be warned - a PR visa allows you to stay indefinitely, but after 5 years, you require a multiple entry visa if you wish to leave and enter Australia.  This visa is more than the citizenship application, so don't delay.

Yup for a family of 4 every 5 years this cost adds up...

On the bright side, once you have your first Aussie passport you might never ever ever have to haul out your birth certificate and prove where you were born yet again??