Joining CPA or staying the course CIMA?

SDTCPT

Hi guys,

I would like to get some feedback to help me make a decision...

But first a little background to the situation.

I am currently still in RSA and we are going over to Oz in April on a 189 Visa (PR). I and currently an accountant at a tourism company (full range of accounting functions: AR, GL, Payroll, FAR, month end) but prior to this post I worked in a small (SAIPA) accounting practise, before that I did my (SAICA) articles with a medium audit firm. I decided not to complete the CA qualification and joined both SAIBA and CIMA (as a student. still need to complete their professional qualification), as my tertiary qualification is in Cost and Management accounting.

I am trying to figure out what the best approach would be to make the job search in Oz a bit easier (in the sense of helping to decide what type of jobs to target).

As I stated I am currently a CIMA student, but I have also done a assessment with CPA and I can join CPA as an Associate member and start their professional qualification. I know that CIMA is active in Oz (if still maybe a bit unknown, from the info I can gather on the net) and that they have a MRA with CPA. Which route would be better from an jobs search perspective (as for the time being which ever route I choose I can also convert to the other when I have completed that qualification).

Many of the jobs adverts that I have read so far has as a requirement either being an CPA/CA or working towards becoming one (that is the reason I did the assessment to see if I could join CPA), so I am leaning towards the CPA as the first option. But then I would need to find a mentor to help with the practical experience part. Would it be better to try and target accounting firms or corporate firms (and hope that some one their might be able to be a CPA mentor)?

I know this might be one of those "Which is better, Star Wars of Star Trek?" type of questions (In my opinion both are great), but any and all opinions on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't have a definitive answer for you but as a bookkeeper so partly in the accounting world (15 years worth) I have never heard of CIMA in Oz with regard to vacancies / the accounting firms I work with. My 10 cent vote is for CPA / CA (whichever you can get). 

How many more modules do you have to complete your CIMA qualification? My understanding was that you can be recognized as a CPA if you've completed your CIMA qualification? It might be easier than having to write 4 new exams for the CPA?

Hi SDTCPT

If you have a look on CIMA's website, you will see that Australia only has one tuition provider registered in their database.  In South Africa, there are 35.

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Study-with-us/Colleges-that-teach-CIMA/.  

A online course via a South African tuition provider like IBTC, will be more affordable than paying in Ozzie dollars for CPA part time classes.

CIMA doesnt seem to be popular in Oz.   I assume you still need to do Strategic level?  That is only 3 subjects and the final case study is based on these 3 subjects.  You will already have some basic knowledge.  Would it not be easier to complete CIMA?

Also, requirements for the practical experience assessment will be changing.  You might want to have a look at this.  You have to complete strategic level before you can have your experience assessed. 

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Students/Gaining-the-CGMA-designation/Practical-experience-requirements/

Edited by TacticJourney

Thanks for he replies guys.

Seeing as I need to start both of their professional qualification anyway, I think I will rather do CPA first and then convert to CIMA once I'm a qualified CPA.