Form 929 - how long before dept changes passport details?

GrantandBernie

Question

Has anyone submitted a Form 929 (change of passport details) to Immigration Dept? How long does it take for them to update your passport details on their system?  I submitted the change of the passport details via email and post last week (passport expired in Jan). I'm concerned that if their system is not updated with my new passport details by the time I travel...I'll have a problem at passport control :o

4 answers to this question

If it is not yet updated by the time you fly it won't be a mayor problem. At check in they will have to phone to get authorisation to let you fly. Just take your grant letter and old passport with. The longest I had to wait was 25 minutes  give or take a few. It only took so long as only the supervisor could phone and she was busy at that time. 

I also updated our details but for some reason my husbands details got updated but not mine. It happened twice. In the end they figured it was because my old passport was not yet expired. 

I had no problem exiting and did not even know something was wrong.  It was only on the return journey to Australia that I had to wait. Once from Dubai and the other South Africa.

Don't trust the post. I sent a form 929 for my son. I needed a VIVO verification  email from the Australian immigration department for a schengan visa.  So the passport number had to match the visa verification.  I posted the form. ..A month later nothing had changed.  I called the depart.  Of immigration.  1 hour on hold and was told they had no record for receiving anything.  Also because of when my visa was granted I couldn't use the online service. I ended up redoing the form and training into Sydney to hand it personally to the department.  Was done by the close of day. I would follow up on it or just take it in personally if you can.