So we've landed!

BrendanH

So nice to read the above comments. I am hoping I get some feedback on my visa application in the next few weeks as I really want my family to experience this.

Enjoy it and keep us updated on how everything goes.

• 1 year later...

So, just over two years since we have landed...

Time for some reflection. I have gone back and re-read my journal,  and mulled over the experiencesof the last two years.  It's all a bit of an anti-climax - after the incredible amount of effort, hard work and adapting to a new country things are settling into a it of a rut. Emigration was stressful but fun, and I can't help but think that I was good at it - and the reward is the daily grind. Meh.

• Confused 1

Stress - whether it be good stress or bad stress puts us in a fight or flight mode. When we overcome obstacles (visa grants, emigrating, settling in) we feel great - I think that can be quite addictive.

Therefore we "need" new challenges to get that sense of satisfaction. IMHO I would suggest a hobby with an end goal like a race (running, biking, swimming etc). You'll get that feeling of busyness through your training and that satisfaction of reaching new goals. Alternatively going back to studying - getting an ozzie certification/degree?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BrendanH said:

Time for some reflection. I have gone back and re-read my journal,  and mulled over the experiencesof the last two years.  It's all a bit of an anti-climax - after the incredible amount of effort, hard work and adapting to a new country things are settling into a it of a rut. Emigration was stressful but fun, and I can't help but think that I was good at it - and the reward is the daily grind. Meh.

But did you get the things you came over for? Why did you come to Australia?

If you knew before making the move, where you would be today, would you still do it?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 4:02 AM, BrendanH said:

That was partly the point no....normal daily grind absent abnormal stress and concern. There's routine in everything, for everyone. Sucks I know but C'est la vie

21 hours ago, RedPanda said:

But did you get the things you came over for? Why did you come to Australia?

If you knew before making the move, where you would be today, would you still do it?

Of course :) This is absolutely nothing to do with how good Australia has been to me. Just that there is a certain rush that is had stepping into the unknown and immigrating that I miss.

Edited by BrendanH

10 hours ago, BrendanH said:

there is a certain rush that is had stepping into the unknown and immigrating that I miss.

It sounds like from what you said that you are actually bored now! The new normal - perhaps you need a few new goals i.e sideline business, sideline trading :-)

1 hour ago, ottg said:

It sounds like from what you said that you are actually bored now! The new normal - perhaps you need a few new goals i.e sideline business, sideline trading :-)

That is actually a great idea.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2018 at 9:18 PM, BrendanH said:

Of course :) This is absolutely nothing to do with how good Australia has been to me. Just that there is a certain rush that is had stepping into the unknown and immigrating that I miss.

Hmm, ok :) 

I like @ottg 's idea...get yourself something else to get your blood pumping. I think this is why Aussies do extreme sports? Like mountain biking in places where you 'do, or break your neck' :lol: But yea, for sure, if you are happy with the other aspects of your life, go for something extra on the side! :ilikeit: 

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

It is a few years and a Pandemic later but late is better than never, right?

So lots has happened. The son is in his last year at primary school, the missus has found a job she enjoys and I ave managed to go from desktop support in Australia to running the development of a world leading software product.

Moving to Australia seems to have awakened a drive to develop my career further than I though I would in South Africa and I have reached the destination it seems.

During the last few years I have learned to love this country in a way I never thought I would. Words can’t express how happy I am that I managed to escape SA to come here.

I am hoping that everyone is doing well in the pandemic. We are so lucky here.

Cheers everyone. The 

• Like 1