Partner Visa (309) SA processing time

MattJ

Thanks for the response. I think I will go this route.

I have just spoken to agent and she is convinced that the global processing time is around 16 months - I think she is giving me the worst case scenario in order to try manage my expectations.

I hope for your sake that you haven't booked flights or anything yet that you'll loose money over.

No we haven't done that, we are waiting to see if the visa comes through before then. If I go over and my wife joins me a few months later it's not the end of the world but we would have liked to do this together.

• Like 1

Spoke to my agent and I've got the green light re the visitor visa.

I just need to be out of the country when they GRANT my 309 visa - they will notify me just before they grant it.

No contact from the CO as yet

The wait continues...

Edited by Dave3519

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Just wanted to join in this forum too as you all seemed to have applied through Pretoria.

I'm from Mauritius and applied online for PMV 300 on 30 Sept 2016 (without agent), which is being processed through Pretoria. So far didn't hear anything and submitted PCC along with application and Medicals were done end of Mar 2017. Don't even know if a CO has been allocated and sent 3 emails to them so far, where only the first one was replied by the embassy (they only sent me link to DIBP timeline).

It seems Pretoria used to issue the grants within few months till 2015! Now they are following the strict timelines.

We need to keep each other updated so that we can have some hope on our application.

Cheers

Sel

Morning All

Anyone recently received a partner visa (309) grant ?

I completed my medicals last week so my application is hopefully decision ready.

I submitted my application on the 09 April and haven't heard anything from my CO as yet.

Thx

Hi Dave!

From what I've seen from another Aus Forum, SA Citizens are being granted the 309 around 8-10 months mark but yea not all applications are the same.

I wished Pretoria follow the timing they used prior to 2016.

Anyway, let us all keep each other updated....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just thought I would share some advice. You may know this already but I only found this out recently. When you apply for the Partner visa you are automatically considered first for the 100 (migrant) and then the 309 (100) which is based on the length of your relationship. If you satisfy the legal requirement for a "Long Term" relationship being three years or more at the time of your application you should be automatically given the 100(migrant) visa.

When I applied for my visa my wife and I had been married for 2.5 years but together for over 5 years but the focus of our application was on proving the relationship not the "three years" therefore we did not provide things like proof of living together bank accounts etc than went back pre- marriage. A few weeks ago I was looking on the gov website to find out when I would be eligible to apply for the next phase of visa and noticed this requirement. I immediately contacted the department via the contact page online and they called me to discuss my query.  They responded: 

"Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your email query in relation to obtaining your Permanent 100 visa now.

I have reviewed the assessing comments made by the previous case officer (Pretoria). At the time of the decision (26/04/2016) the officer was not satisfied that the relationship met the Department legislative definition (long term relationship);  the case was at the time assessed for the 100 as per normal procedure and a decision to only grant the Temporary 309 was made.

Basically the earlier years were considered as a boyfriend –girlfriend relationship and not sufficient for a claim of long term relationship as part of our definition.

Your case can only be re- assessed now if you provided some new compelling evidence , something you did not provide on 12/01/2016." 

I submitted 1 additional document, which was a letter from STD bank confirming joint bank accounts going back 4.5 years pre visa application and 2 weeks later they made a decision and I was granted my perm visa, only 1 year after receiving my 309. 

So just a heads up for new applicants to emphasize the long term relationship bit and show proof but also to those who already have 309 visas and should have been awarded 100. 

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Matt 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Today is 9 months for my PMV application, no update except that after sending them 3 emails they responded to simply tell me that my application hasn't been assessed as yet and that the PMV processing time is between 12-17 months.

FYI I know someone who applied for PMV through Pretoria and the guy is Non-SA (a Lebanese but lived in Liberia his whole life) and he got the PMV in 6.5 months. He applied after me, late Oct 16 and got his grant mid of May 17.

Hi Guys.. I'm just short of 5 months waiting now. Still no word from them. I'm hoping and praying things start to move again in July ... but who knows

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Morning all

I received a request for more information this morning. They have requested Sponsor - Character requirements - Australian Federal Police (AFP) clearance- National Police Check that has to be submitted within 28 days.

I am hoping that this is the final hurdle and thereafter they can move towards approving my partner visa.

Fingers crossed and lots of hopeful thoughts.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave3519 said:

Morning all

I received a request for more information this morning. They have requested Sponsor - Character requirements - Australian Federal Police (AFP) clearance- National Police Check that has to be submitted within 28 days.

I am hoping that this is the final hurdle and thereafter they can move towards approving my partner visa.

Hi Dave!

That's great news bro. You are so lucky to have heard something. I hope they are processing yours at the earliest. I also hope they won't let Non-SA Citizen to be well behind.

Thanks for keeping us updated and do share any info you receive further to that. Fingers crossed bro! X

Cheers

Selwyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave3519 said:

Morning all

Thanx for the update and glimmer of hope! I'll be holding thumbs that we hear something soon too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AFP Clearance uploaded. It was the only additional form of information requested.

Let's hope its enough for them to make a decision on my visa.

• Like 2

Hi guys!

I've just got my first contact from a CO yesterday for my PMV application done on 30 Sept 16. They are requesting for the 2 below documents:
1) Other Requirements -
Evidence that you are free to marry (divorce certificate from sponsor)
2) Personal particulars for character assessment -
Complete Form 80 Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment. This is a supplementary form required to support your visa application.

It's weird coz these 2 documents were already provided at time of lodgement. I have re-filled the Form 80 again yesterday itself and shall provide my fiancee's divorce order again (it was attached in my fiancees a/c only) and I hope the Divorce Order documents would suffice that requirement.

Crossing fingers no further documents would be requested because I've seen they do request for further documents again and again...

• Like 2

We heard from them earlier today and they said our application is on final stages of processing but that they noticed my PCC will be expired on 13 Sept 17, which means I'll have to step in on or before 13 Sept. So they told me if that is tight for me then I could get a new one and they await my decision on this.

Well this looks really positive, crossing fingers!!

I'm in discussion with my superiors on either I take 2 weeks off in Sept and go there then come back work till end of Nov (if they allow me to take untaken leaves, else would work till end of Dec) or I could apply for new PCC, thus not necessary to go in Sept but if they could allow me to take all my untaken leaves, then go there mid of Nov. 

The 2nd option above is better for me because I won't need to spend extra AUD 2k for the Sept air ticket and expenses, but I'm also thinking 22 Sept we would celebrate our 5th year relationship anniversary so that would be a memorable day if we could be together.

Let's see now...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SelMru said:

We heard from them earlier today and they said our application is on final stages of processing but that they noticed my PCC will be expired on 13 Sept 17, which means I'll have to step in on or before 13 Sept. So they told me if that is tight for me then I could get a new one and they await my decision on this.

Well this looks really positive, crossing fingers!!

I'm in discussion with my superiors on either I take 2 weeks off in Sept and go there then come back work till end of Nov (if they allow me to take untaken leaves, else would work till end of Dec) or I could apply for new PCC, thus not necessary to go in Sept but if they could allow me to take all my untaken leaves, then go there mid of Nov. 

The 2nd option above is better for me because I won't need to spend extra AUD 2k for the Sept air ticket and expenses, but I'm also thinking 22 Sept we would celebrate our 5th year relationship anniversary so that would be a memorable day if we could be together.

Let's see now...

great news :)

So glad there seems to be some movement. I'm still waiting to hear from them, but feels like it should be soon now.

Yes guys, I'm sure you will hear good news soon too.

After discussing with my fiancee and employer, we agreed to apply for a new PCC as Sept would be hectic and also I thought let's save the AUD 2,000 air ticket + expenses as December would have to spend on air ticket again. Only thing is that my employer would not be able to allow me to leave an earlier date than mid Dec as there are some projects coming up. Crossing fingers that in two weeks time when I submit the new PCC, it won't take long before they grant me the visa.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:22 AM, Dave3519 said:

Morning all

So following on from the request for more information and after submitting the requested documents via my IMMI account, I sent the person who requested the documents an email requesting an update on the process going forward. I also asked whether it was a good idea to apply for a e 600 visitor visa and the response i received is detailed below.

"You may lodge a visitor visa application, however, there is no guarantee that the visa will be granted. Any further visa application will be assessed on its own merits and against the relevant criteria"

"Please note that your application has not been assigned to a visa officer as yet"

So, I guess my excitement has to be put on hold for the time being.

What i don't understand is how they would know what is outstanding from my file/case/application when I have not been assigned a case officer?

Edited by Dave3519

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share our timeline so far,

I am an Aussie citizen living in South Africa with my wife. My wife applied for 309/100 in late Sept 2016. With the use of a trusted local migration agency we submitted a very comprehensive application and soon after submitted medicals as well as police clearance (based on assumption that visa would be in hand within 6 months). We haven't been assigned a case officer nor received any feedback on the progress. We are currently sitting on 11 months since applying and have recently completed another police clearance. 

Dave3519, I empathize with your situation but we have learnt with this process to be prepared for anything and especially a potentially long wait.

I hope all those waiting get a speedy response. 

For you to get the Tourist Visa, you have to show that you are a genuine tourist. You may provide a letter from employer stating that you are taking 2-3 weeks off and that you coming back to work after the 2-3 weeks or simply provide your assets schedules (car agreement/properties/etc)

As for your file, it is also bizarre because for me they requested the Form 80 and the Divorce Cert of my fiancee while these 2 documents were already uploaded initially. But I simply filled it up again and re-uploaded the Divorce Cert through my account.

3 hours ago, Matto said:

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share our timeline so far,

I am an Aussie citizen living in South Africa with my wife. My wife applied for 309/100 in late Sept 2016. With the use of a trusted local migration agency we submitted a very comprehensive application and soon after submitted medicals as well as police clearance (based on assumption that visa would be in hand within 6 months). We haven't been assigned a case officer nor received any feedback on the progress. We are currently sitting on 11 months since applying and have recently completed another police clearance. 

Dave3519, I empathize with your situation but we have learnt with this process to be prepared for anything and especially a potentially long wait.

I hope all those waiting get a speedy response. 

Hi Matto. You would be hearing from them soon I believe as they started issuing grants for late 2016. I had applied for PMV on 30 Sept 16 and I got a request on 14 Aug to submit 2 documents as mentioned in my previous post and on 16 Aug (1 day post submission of the 2 docs) they advised me that my application is on final stage but that they noticed my PCC getting expired mid of Sep 17, which would mean I'd have to be in Aus by mid of Sept and that if this timing is too tight I can apply for a new PCC, which they await for my decision. I had advised them that I would get a new PCC and they acknowledged my response. Yesterday afternoon I submitted the PCC and now awaiting.

Kindly note that I know a person who's SA Citizen and who applied for 309/100 early Nov 16 and that person got a similar request where his PCC was due to get expired in mid of Sept 17 and they also advised him if it's too tight then get a new PCC, but the latter advised them that he is ready to go to Aus anytime. And after 5 mins itself he got the grant.

I believe you would find yourself in a similar situation where your PCC and medical as well are getting expired soon. 

17 minutes ago, SelMru said:

Hi Matto. You would be hearing from them soon I believe as they started issuing grants for late 2016. I had applied for PMV on 30 Sept 16 and I got a request on 14 Aug to submit 2 documents as mentioned in my previous post and on 16 Aug (1 day post submission of the 2 docs) they advised me that my application is on final stage but that they noticed my PCC getting expired mid of Sep 17, which would mean I'd have to be in Aus by mid of Sept and that if this timing is too tight I can apply for a new PCC, which they await for my decision. I had advised them that I would get a new PCC and they acknowledged my response. Yesterday afternoon I submitted the PCC and now awaiting.

Kindly note that I know a person who's SA Citizen and who applied for 309/100 early Nov 16 and that person got a similar request where his PCC was due to get expired in mid of Sept 17 and they also advised him if it's too tight then get a new PCC, but the latter advised them that he is ready to go to Aus anytime. And after 5 mins itself he got the grant.

I believe you would find yourself in a similar situation where your PCC and medical as well are getting expired soon. 

Hi SelMru,

Thanks for your info, greatly appreciated!

I hope you are right and we follow the same pattern. We have completed another PCC but we haven't submitted as yet, maybe based on this info I might just hold back until we need to submit it.

Crossing fingers!

Good luck with your response and for your move