Partner Visa (309) SA processing time

MattJ

Hi there

I have recently, in fact on the 8th January 2016 applied for my partner visa which is obviously very exciting. While I do understand the process to be quite lengthy it would be great to hear from anybody who has recently been through this to share the timelines, what if any additional information/documentation was requested and overall what to expect going forward.  

My application was not submitted with a completed medical which I assume is still to come, I also submitted a police clearance certificate that will expire in May along with proof that I have applied for an updated copy. These being the only hurdles I can anticipate at this stage. 

Thanks in advance for the info

Matt

Hey Matt,

Congrats on submitting your application! My partner and I submitted ours (309) in mid-October 2015 but we haven't heard anything back about it yet. We had the medical completed and submitted around 3 weeks after we submitted the full application as requested, and haven't been asked to provide anything else so far. We've been told that these kinds of applications are taking around 3-4 months to process but I'm not sure how the Christmas period will have impacted that.

Waiting for a decision is definitely the worst part of this process; but every day down is another day closer!

Lauren

Hang in there guys! When we did it the process (assuming you lodged in South Africa) took 3-4 months, the complete timeline is in my signature.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt & Lauren

Thanks for the feedback. 

Lauren- You are right the waiting is the frustrating part as it puts a hold on much of the planning.

I think once I receive some feedback or a request for medicals I will feel a lot better. 

Have a good one

Matt 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Finally got a request to submit medicals today with an appointment set for next week so I am glad to see some movement in the process. Waiting for some sort of confirmation was frustrating.  

Matt 

Hi Matt,

That's good news! One step closer :)

We have been waiting close to 3.5 months for ours so far and are hoping to hear something more soon. Will keep you posted with progress updates as they come.

Until then the waiting game continues!

Lauren

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lauren

Any luck yet? Have you bee assigned a CO yet? Seems the process is taking longer that is has previously as I've seen examples of people being granted visa's within 2 months. 

Cheers

Matt 

Hi MattJ,

Still nothing yet! From what I understand you do not get told when a CO is assigned to a partner visa application, you just hear from them if they ask for more information or when they have made a decision on your case. I've seen a few partner visas get granted around the 4 month mark recently so I'm hoping ours isn't far off - we reached 4 months of waiting this past weekend.

I will definitely let you know if we hear anything though and thanks for checking in :)

Lauren

Hello All

We submitted our Visa  15 June 2015 and our Visa was granted 16 July 2015 took 4 weeks.  Leaving for Australia this year June 2016.  Also on a spouse visa, we were not assigned a CO we got direct grant. I think it is different for everyone.  

Wishing everyone the best.

Malikah

• Like 1

Lauren- Thanks for your feedback, I will sit tight! Good luck! 

Mailikah- Wow that's really quick! I have a feeling there is some back log as most of teh quicker grants took place around the same time as yours. Good luck with your move across! 

Matt 

Wow Mailikah! 4 weeks is amazing!! Very ready to have my partner here with me in Aus :) good luck for your move!

Lauren

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

My partner and I applied for a prospective marriage visa on October 26, 2015 and we received our grant on Friday, March 18, 2016. I realise it is slightly different to the partner visa but it should at least give you some indication as to the current waiting period for these sort of visas. We lodged our application in Pretoria. Good luck to you all on your applications.

Cheers,

Vince.

Hey Vince,

Thanks for the info and congratulations on your grant! My partner and I applied for our de facto partner visa a week before you so we are very much hoping to hear something soon :)

Lauren

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

The day finally arrived! After 185 days of impatient waiting, our visa came through on Friday :) we weren't asked for any extra information, just received an email with the direct grant. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as us MattJ! Very excited to start the adventure with my partner down under. Good luck for everyone still waiting for visas!

Lauren

Hi Everyone

So LaurenP, seems you were the bottle neck :) Got my Visa grant about 5 mins ago. Glad the wait is over. 

Thanks for all the support!

Matt 

Hi Everyone,

Is there any way to find out how far the application is or do we just have to wait?..

We lodged the 11th of march 2016 without medicals.

thanks alot

Jodie

Hi JrBarker

Unfortunately as far as I am aware there is no way to find out how far the application is. It's just a waiting game.

I waited about a month after lodging for a request to complete medicals, and a total of 3.5 months until grant, no CO was assigned just a direct grant, which seems to be the case with most partner related visas. 

Good luck

Matt 

Hi matt

Did you receive an email requesting medicals? Or will they notify us via the immi account? 

The waiting is torture! Congrats on your grant and thanks for the reply

Jodie

Edited by Jrbarker

Hi Jrbarker

Yes I got an email requesting my medicals, but I applied at the Aus Visa office in JHB not online so I dont have experience with the immi account correspondence. 

Hope it goes well and comes through soon. 

Matt 

• 4 weeks later...

HI All

I am glad to have discovered this forum. 

I applied for my partner visa on 14 April and apart from a letter sent to me (in error!) to request biometrics, I have not heard anything further other than a confirmation that my application has been received.

It is good to hear of other people's experiences because this is a lonely road to be on with so little communication from the Immi department. I realise that one needs patience (and a lot of it) but as you all probably know, it makes it hard to plan or even think ahead.

Reading of other people's experiences has given me some hope!

Will keep you posted

Anna 

• Like 1

Hi Anna

Welcome to the forum, it is indeed a very useful tool even after your visa grant. The wait is definitely a killer and as you can see from the above we have all had different experiences but one fine day the visa will be granted and then the real work starts :) I must say I was over the moon to have the visa but then reality hit home that we are actually making the big move and while the planning is exciting it has been quite a lot of work.

We heading over for a quick trip to Sydney, Melbourne and Perth in June and hoping to make it permanent in September. 

If you need any info etc just let me know. 

Matt 

• Like 1