holiday visa

Lindy-Lee

Hi guys and gals

I'm hoping someone can help.

We are thinking of getting my mother-in-law here over July if we can, but can we apply for her holiday visa from this side or must she do it in SA? Will be easier I think for us, cause she can't get to all the places she needs to.

And how easy is it to get a visa for her while we still on 457 visa...STILL waiting for reply on our PR :ilikeit:

Thanx all. Any help will do.

Have a good one :ilikeit:

Lindy-Lee

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that she needs to get this visa from her side - she won't be allowed in without one. Most decent travel agencies should be able to do the leg work for her though, so she shouldn't have to run around too much.

Cheers

Ajay

One of our friends are staying with us in April for 2 weeks while he will go for interviews. He did get his holiday visa and we are hosting him (and we are on a 457).

Cheers

Rialet

Hi Lindy-Lee, I agree with Ajay, it has to be done from the SA side and yes, any good travel agency can do the leg work. What you have to do is write a letter of invitation stating in it that you will take care of all her costs whilst she is visiting you. You also have to state the approximate length of time that she is invited for. Together with this you would be wise to send a photocopy of a rental agreement, and telephone bill. This is just to prove that you are here on a semi-permanent basis. All of these documents must then be forwarded to your mother-in-law and if she then takes them to her travel agency together with her passport, they should be able to do all the necessary running around for her. Please remember that her passport must be valid for at least six months after she has returned to SA or they could reject the application. Good luck!

How can I support my family member´s and/or friend´s visit to Australia?

Where a visitor visa applicant cannot show that they have enough money of their own to support themselves during their visit, they may provide an undertaking of support from relatives or friends in Australia. There is no form to fill in for this purpose, but if you want to support a person´s application to visit Australia, you can send that person a letter or a statutory declaration that should set out two main points:

• that you know the person and that you are willing to support them fully, while they are in Australia, including any medical costs,
    and
  • that you have enough money to be able to support them during their visit. As evidence of this, you should include certified photocopies of bank statements, taxation records, pay slips, and other financial records.

Some Australian citizens or permanent residents may wish to consider formal sponsorship. Their relative may apply to visit under the Sponsored Visitor visa program.

How do I apply for a sponsored family visitor visa?

The visa applicant is to complete Form 48S Application to visit Australia as a sponsored family visitor and sends the form and any supporting documents to their sponsor in Australia. The sponsor completes Form 1149 Sponsorship form for sponsored family visitors and lodges both forms and any other documents required at their state or territory office.

Application and sponsorship forms are available from this website or from:

• in Australia: by telephoning the general inquiry number 131 881
    or
  • overseas: by contacting your nearest Australian diplomatic office.

Only one passport holder can apply on one form. You can include in your application any children on your passport who are travelling with you. If another adult (person aged 18 years or older) is included in your passport they should complete a separate application form.

Do not supply original documents with your application, unless we ask for it. You should provide certified copies of original documents. Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

When your sponsor lodges your application they must ensure that:

• Forms 48S Application to visit Australia as a sponsored family visitor and Form 1149 Sponsorship form for sponsored family visitors are complete
  • the visa application charge is paid
    and
  • any additional documents that are required are lodge with the application

Note: it is in your and your sponsor's interest to support your application with as much information as possible at the time you apply.

Completed applications can be lodged in person by the sponsor or sent by mail to a state or territory office in Australia.

Thank you to all of you for your replies. :ilikeit:

Will have a look and see what option will work best for us.

Riekie thanx for all info. I like the idea of doing it from Oz, have more control over process than if it's done in SA!