Flying to Australia via the East

Yuvi

Hi All

I was hoping i could call on your wisdom for some advise.

So my wife and i are flying out of SA to most likely Melbourne(we haven't decided between Melbourne or Sydney yet) in May.

We are toying with the idea of doing a Thailand or Malaysia trip on the way to AUS.

Has anyone done anything similar. Would you advise it, and suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Yuvi

Singapore used to have a 2day stop over special.  https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/special-offers/singapore-stopover-holiday/  I have done it twice.  2 days is just enough to see Singapore. 

But to be honest,  flying via Asia is going to cost a lot more and take a lot longer . Add to that,  you will probably just want to get to Australia and settle in. Planning a stopover is also just added stress. 

Once you are living here,  you can always take a cheap tiger Airways flight to Bali and get stupid drunk. That's an Aussie obsession. 

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

Hi Monsta

Thanks for your input and advice.

You do make a good point about the length of travel and cost.

I'll give it some thought and decide.

We came via Hong Kong, spent 5 days there.  Yes, more expensive but we couldn't afford an overseas holiday for a while after arriving, so Rands swell spent.

Thanks @Sunnyskies

That's a good idea. Might look into that. That is precisely the reason we are thinking about this as well.

Who did you book your flights with. And did you get the extra baggage allowance. I'm worried about the baggage.

Long time ago, so all out of date.  I booked through flight centre and I only used the normal baggage allowance as I was not aware of extra luggage allowance (I wasn't a member of the forum back then).  We sent extra stuff through U bag which arrived shortly after we did.  Reality is I don't think you need to bring that much with you if you have a container coming, our extra luggage was mainly sporting equipment (my husband can't survive without his sport), Lego and toiletries (go figure).  We were lucky that my employer put us into furnished accommodation for a month so I wasn't bringing any survival equipment until the container arrived.  We sent the container about 2 weeks ahead of us so it all timed out well, biggest issue was with finding a rental (there was very little stock and it was all very expensive).

i do know that the luggage we brought was a major hassle in Hong Kong as we were fully laden, I wouldn't have wanted to have a holiday with an even bigger load of luggage than we had.

I don't know if you'd be able to get extra luggage and a stopover holiday? The deals that I've seen for 40kg pp have been linked to making a one-way trip specifically for the purpose of migration.

But there could be deals I don't know about. ;)