Close your FNB accounts BEFORE you arrive...

AFreshStart

Living it Aus sure does spoil you. The customer support is just great, people know their jobs, think outside the box and know who to call if you need support or which department to send you to. Sadly the same cannot be said for the experience I've just had with FNB.

When we moved to Aus a year ago we moved with the idea we'd give ourselves 2-years to decide if it was a permanent move, well not surprisingly it is and we are now wrapping up our affairs in South Africa and going through the process of financial emigration. At the top of the list of doing so means the closure of ones bank accounts.

We closed our Investec account with a single phone call, the same with my FNB credit card, my personal cheque account, no go! I've spent hours on the phone to my branch, the call center and being bounced around to no less than 8 departments.

Even the relationship manager at my bank branch says that he cannot close this account without me being present, forget the fact I've submitted all the proof he needs from FICA records to signed copies of my ID etc. Painful!

Eventually ONE person was able to tell me how it needs to be done. Apparently FNB have an on-line division, MyBranch, who can close accounts electronically, but that has meant I've had to fill in a bunch of paperwork to transfer the account from my physical branch to this virtual branch and only once that's complete can they action my instructions to close the account. This through their "Non-resident Banking" division that all but 1 person over 8 departments was even aware they had, but only when being transferred via their Forex department.

Buyer beware on this one, I'm so over the inefficiency and this after being a client for over 15-years, having personal and business accounts, mortgage and credit card with FNB.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Matt, I would agree with you. My sister, who deals with the Forex departments of all of the banks, insists that her clients only bank at one branch of Std Bank, as she is known there and can often tell them what it is that they have to do, under the law!

It is definitely a pleasure dealing with banks here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mara said:

My sister, who deals with the Forex departments of all of the banks, insists that her clients only bank at one branch of Std Bank, as she is known there and can often tell them what it is that they have to do, under the law!

That's what is blowing my mind about all of this! So my account is open, despite my insistence to close it? I can't believe it is even legal as we have sold the house that that account is registered to and I've since cancelled my cellphone on record, and so technically all that information is incorrect and they can't accurately account for it, which I'm pretty sure is the LAW, that they keep updated records. Yet they refuse to update the records or do anything on my account, despite the fact I can and have provided them with security information unless I present myself in person to my branch. It's utterly preposterous!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

I do know that some time ago she had a client that was also having a problem with FNB, so she suggested that they transfer all of the money in their account (about R1000) to their parents, except for R10, as after three years of inaction, the account will automatically be closed....

They took her advice and it happened exactly as she said.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mara said:

I do know that some time ago she had a client that was also having a problem with FNB, so she suggested that they transfer all of the money in their account (about R1000) to their parents, except for R10, as after three years of inaction, the account will automatically be closed....

They took her advice and it happened exactly as she said.

Yes, that was FNB's suggestion from the Branch Manager. If I just leave it it will close automatically over time! I've done exactly that by the way, there is no money in it bar enough to cover this month's fees. But I don't want that, I want to know it's closed and cut ties already! It's so backwards...

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

@AFreshStart - you are not alone in your experience. My husband has been struggling for weeks to try and get through to correct person / department / premier banker etc. He dreads coming home at night and sitting down to make those calls to try and get it resolved. The worst is his physical branch no longer exists, and the records were never updated or a transfer done to a branch of his choice.

I don't suppose you can pm me the details of who you finally spoke to that gave some help? He has to close it and get proof thereof, as we are emigrating financially....

He thought he was being proactive - when he got some cash as part of the annual discretionary allowances to bring over for our first few days,  hubby spoke to the lady at forex FNB Willowbridge about how to close the account from outside the country, and she said just phone us........ well, that didn't work out so well now did it!

On the other hand, I completely forgot to investigate closing a Nedbank account from Australia while we were still in RSA. After landing here, and kick-starting the financial emigration process,  I had a bad phone call with my manager at Tygervalley, who basically said I needed to come in person to close it and was not helpful at all. Panic stations ensued as we were not planning on returning to SA anytime soon. I then contacted the lady @ Exchange4Free who is dealing with our big transfers, and she managed to get them to agree to my sending them a written instruction to close, and it was done within 10 days of the call. Sadly she does not seem to be able to get anywhere with FNB....

What a bunch of idiots, I seriously do not miss the fools and idiots that masquerade as bank staff. Sorry if I offend, I know there are some good ones out there...but in general. When I tried to get Absa to reopen my account after they froze it after 6 months of no work, what a palava. Same as you AFS, got bounced around from pillar to post, from one clueless person to another. Eventually just said ahhhh stuff it. Was only a couple hundred bucks in it anyways and with the exchange rate and fees for withdrawing I could not be bothered. 

Glad your trevails are over mate. Same with SARS, who after 3 years now decide I owe them 10K ZAR for penalties. Morons. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EmNew said:

@AFreshStart - I don't suppose you can pm me the details of who you finally spoke to that gave some help? He has to close it and get proof thereof, as we are emigrating financially....

Done! Sent you more info and an e-mail address. FNB seem to be the worst, we had NO problems with the other accounts. They kept trying to tell me it has never been done before, what a bunch of drivel.

Wishing you an end to your misery with them as well.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up! We also have an account with FNB, and from what you have just said, I think we should close it before we leave. Do you by any chance know if they would accept the instruction if it came from someone who has legal power of attorney to conduct business and legal matters in your name?

• Like 1

Red Panda, I think it depends on the actual branch, yes they are supposed to, but the staff will often deny that, just because they have no idea.  We have an account with my sister's favourite branch of Standard Bank, and yes, she has our power of attorney, yet depending on who is on duty, she still sometimes has to ask for a higher up manager, just to get them to do what she wants. She is just fortunate, because they know her there and she has power of attorney for a high number of her clients, who all bank at that branch, on her recommendation. .

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Thanks for the heads-up! We also have an account with FNB, and from what you have just said, I think we should close it before we leave. Do you by any chance know if they would accept the instruction if it came from someone who has legal power of attorney to conduct business and legal matters in your name?

No, my branch manager told me no, I have to be present because they need to verify my fingerprints! Honestly, this is what they shared verbatim.

"I do understand you frustration but in order of us to close the account you physically need to be in a branch as we need to verify you and conduct a Fingerprint Verification process." It's bonkers, I don't even recall giving them my fingerprints... how do they plan on doing that, checking with SAPS?

My wife is returning to South Africa in September, she has legal power of attorney and the bank is still sharing, no, they won't do it, outrageous!

So I would close it to avoid the headaches...

Cheers

Matt

We need to get you a shirt that says

"If you can read this,  I am not a criminal!  "

When the FNB staff give you a hard time, ask them to explain a form to you and  just say " You know the forms really well for some one who can't read!  " ?

I am sure that protest is going to be a lot cheaper than taking out a massive advert on the side of the road to complain about Cell C. 

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/114709-revamped-anti-cell-c-banner-goes-up.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AFreshStart said:

It's bonkers, I don't even recall giving them my fingerprints... how do they plan on doing that, checking with SAPS?

Cheers

Matt

FNB specifically, is linked to the national data base. I know this because they refused point blank to add me to my husband's account using my valid South African ID, along with all other forms of identification, and a marriage certificate. Because the ID said Sutherland and the National Population Register said Sutherland-van Wyk. (and there is a part of our law that says I may legally trade under any name I have legal claim to, provided all my documentation is the same!)

For people who built a reputation on Beep-bank adverts, they sure are pulling a lot of Beep-stunts!

On 1/13/2016 at 1:43 PM, AFreshStart said:

Done! Sent you more info and an e-mail address.

Thanks again :D

So, hubby sent off email to address provided, and he got a reply, stating please find forms attached.........

Not......

So here we go again......:blink::blink::wacko::blink:

( Emma takes out her portable brick wall and starts banging head )

• Like 1

Maybe just keep badgering them (instead of the poor brick wall :P ), and eventually some result will fall out. I can't believe that they don't deal with overseas people trying to close accounts on a monthly basis. This is sommer rubbish!

Oh, something my husband said yesterday when I told him about this (since we are also with FNB) is this: Just go and complain, loudly, on 'Hello, Peter'. And complain mostly about the bad service you received, not so much what you were trying do.
We have had very good responses from companies after complaining on 'Hello, Peter', usually sorting out our issues rather quickly. You can also try hashtagging them in Twitter, with a short complaint.

In the age of social media, let it work for you!

• Like 3

Just a heads up...don't close your bank accounts until you have cleared your affairs with SARS. We made this mistake, in that my wife's account became in active and she got a refund from SARS. what a nightmare! I know some people have had luck getting SARS to pay to an overseas account but we couldn't get that trick right. So just make sure you have submitted your last tax return before closing your last account. 

• Like 4

Thanks Jordy! I think we will leave one account open at a bank that allows people to close it from overseas. Then we should be able to dodge both problems? (Here's hoping we do) Because if you read another thread on here, I think it was @SurferMan who said SARS suddenly woke up years and years later and then demanded R10k. So I don't trust SARS to finalise anything.

• Like 2

:lol::cry: :lol:  :cry::lol: 

Oh man....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SurferMan said:

@RedPanda

Removed for offending, sorry folks. 

Just to clarify for those reading this much later, it wasn't something offensive aimed at me. It was a general rant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Just to clarify for those reading this much later, it wasn't something offensive aimed at me. It was a general rant.

Lol true, thanks RedPanda for clarifying. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Best.Birthday.Present.Ever

Got a mail from FNB today to say my account has been closed, two quick phones calls and I cancelled my eBucks account, donated the proceeds to charity and deactivated my PayPal account with FNB. We can now proceed with financial immigration!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice.  I'm also with FNB and have already had endless problems with them.  I have had this account since I was a teenager and got a BOB T account :)

And about a year ago they upgraded me to a platinum account and then wouldn't give me the card because it was in a married name and then promptly cancelled everything without telling me.  I found out when I had put in petrol and my card was declined (MY OWN MONEY, not using theirs).

Anyway, they phone every month offering me a platinum card and every month I say "leave my account alone and don't call me again".  and the next month i get another call. 

Obviously the message saying "please note that all calls are recorded" is a complete lie, otherwise they would know not to call me every month and get shouted at.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 29/01/2016 at 10:19 AM, AFreshStart said:

Best.Birthday.Present.Ever

Got a mail from FNB today to say my account has been closed, two quick phones calls and I cancelled my eBucks account, donated the proceeds to charity and deactivated my PayPal account with FNB. We can now proceed with financial immigration!

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

I am in this same situation right now with FNB. Similar story. I want to close my account from Belgium and sent them an email. So far, no news. What did you do to succeed?

Cheers from Brussels, not far from Waterloo, Belgium

F

@franvis

The short story was that I got hold of their on-line account/off shore banking people and they transferred my account from my phyisical branch to their on-line branch which is called MyBranch, who I then emailed and asked to close my account, which they did.

Cheers

Matt