Vegitarian is trending?

BronPreston

Hello there,

I have notice, especially in Australia, that becoming vegetarian is a world wide phenomenon.

Most of my friends and even family that has moved over have turned to being vegetarian, mostly because of cruelty to animals. (which I seem to agree)

Here in SA, the fact that cruelty to animals in the food processing department is not advertised at all. You get the few on Facebook that post those gruesome videos that i cant seem to stomach . I just wanted to know if they are making it more aware in Australia than SA, and that is why it more popular there.

Please correct me if i am wrong? This topic has just left me mind boggled :)

Hi Jessi, 

I am not a vegan, I eat meat. In my circle of friends I have not noticed such a trend. In fact I know of three wives of mates of mine who were veggisarusus but are not meat eaters, and all three claim major improvements in health. So if it is trending I am ignorant of it! I cannot see the connection between cruelty to animals and eating meat. provided the processors follow the regulations it is humane, and humans have been eating animals since the dawn of time. 

For me saying that because of animal cruelty I will stop eating meat is like saying because men kill other men I will never interact with another human being. Put another way, the actions of one person or a group would not automatically make me judge all the others in that grouping. 

Keen to hear your thoughts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SurferMan said:

Hi Jessi, 

I am not a vegan, I eat meat. In my circle of friends I have not noticed such a trend. In fact I know of three wives of mates of mine who were veggisarusus but are not meat eaters, and all three claim major improvements in health. So if it is trending I am ignorant of it! I cannot see the connection between cruelty to animals and eating meat. provided the processors follow the regulations it is humane, and humans have been eating animals since the dawn of time. 

For me saying that because of animal cruelty I will stop eating meat is like saying because men kill other men I will never interact with another human being. Put another way, the actions of one person or a group would not automatically make me judge all the others in that grouping. 

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Yes you are right, and we are all entitled to our own opinions. 

I for one still eat meat and I am a meat lover myself, I was pressured into becoming a vegetarian, because "how could I eat meat when all this cruelty is going on"

but from your response, which is very clever might I add, thank you, I don't feel so bad about being a meat eater :D

I do sympathize and I know that food production company's are always trying to save a few bob every here and there and there are some really horrid things behind close doors happening to animals, and its not right, but i feel instead of just not eating meat, you should be out there protesting and getting something done about it! You can't give up meat and expect to change the world it doesn't work like that. 

Don't push your beliefs on to others if you are not 100% into what you preaching.

Agree, 

There will always be a bad apple among the bunch. I do try to ensure I do my part by buying from ethical producers. Here in Perth I use the Yeeda gang, they are up north from me. You can go at any time and watch the processing, it is open. In other words any member of the public can check up on them. They only use grass fed beef, lamb, hoggard and goat. They pack the meat beautifully in vacuum packed portions to order and the price is unbeatable. 

People will always have an agenda and push their beliefs, I am guilty of that too I am afraid. In my case I eat the Banting way, and the difference is amazing. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2015 at 9:40 PM, Jessi said:

I have notice, especially in Australia, that becoming vegetarian is a world wide phenomenon.

Most of my friends and even family that has moved over have turned to being vegetarian, mostly because of cruelty to animals. (which I seem to agree)

Here in SA, the fact that cruelty to animals in the food processing department is not advertised at all. You get the few on Facebook that post those gruesome videos that i cant seem to stomach . I just wanted to know if they are making it more aware in Australia than SA, and that is why it more popular there.

Please correct me if i am wrong? This topic has just left me mind boggled :)

I think in SA there are more cruelty to animals outside of farming so cruelty in the farming process does not really hit the media...  

My view is that farmers are not in the business of treating animals cruelly - they need the animals to be healthy either to breed or sell. 

Have you seen the documentary "Earthlings"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlNXG1_gheI  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tiermelk said:

I think in SA there are more cruelty to animals outside of farming so cruelty in the farming process does not really hit the media...  

My view is that farmers are not in the business of treating animals cruelly - they need the animals to be healthy either to breed or sell. 

Have you seen the documentary "Earthlings"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlNXG1_gheI  

Thank you Tiermelk,

Don't know if I could stomach the whole video:wacko: But thanks, was quite interesting. 

Loved the video .

Moved to Aus 2 years ago, it was not long since my whole family became vegetarians and happy !

3 reasons - health, religion and cruelty to animals .

Hahaa those pics made me laugh, thanks guys! My burgers dont bark...but thanks for the smiles. 

Merry Xmas everyone!:P

• Like 1

Hi - as a committed vegetarian for over 10 years , I am more comfortable with my personal choice in Australia than I ever was in South Africa.

In South Africa, I was made to feel like a total outsider due to my decision not to eat meat, and constantly asked to explain myself and justify myself. I don't believe that I have to - it's a personal choice and I would never preach to anyone about it - and as with most things in life, to use what is perhaps an ill considered quote " one man's meat is another man's poison"

However since landing in Melbourne, my choice has never been questioned. I am just accepted for who I am. 

And talking about choice, the variety of food catering for vegetarians and even vegans is so extensive. From multiple choices on menus for eating out to what is on the shelves at Coles, Woolworths etc.

One thing I have noticed is that the Aussies we have met are just generally more compassionate and considerate than the average South African I am used to. Perhaps this explains the acceptance of vegetarianism.....

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

Never had an issue with vegetarians in SA or here in Oz. Your life, your choice. 

Try being Gluten, Soy and Rice intolerant :o

Hi EmNew and qwerty,

I totally respect your decision and what I like is that in this country you are not ostracized for your choices. I do not agree with many of the more liberal things, but again that is just old surferman. I am a meat lover, and I am not attacked for this choice. (Unless I attend a vegan rally! LOL) 

Glad you guys are living the dream. Have a bloody good Christmas while you are at it will you! :P:lol: