BLACK pen: SA Passport Appl from Oz

Kanniewagnie

My children's passports expires one of these days and so at last we've completed the forms, took the passport photo's went to the police station to get the signature and stamp of the Police Officer on the back of one of the photo's to confirm the images are those of the kids, get the Police Officer to complete the first page of the BI73 (they are under 16, so no fingerprints needed) and very chuffed with myself, got home to post it....

wait, oh what?  Black pen?  I am used to complete all forms in black, but here in Ozzieland, they don't mind blue or black and although the BI73 was completed by me in black, the portion that the Police Officer completed is in BLUE. 

Do you guys think I have to re-print, go back and get it done all over, or do you think the blue is OK?

Urgh, I'll hate it that the applications be declined just because I was too lazy to go back to get it re-done.

So please note, ASK the Police Officer to use a black pen. 

The Copper that filled out my daughters form did it in blue pen and the JP that certified all the docs also did it in blue pen and we didn't have any issues. 

The people that work at the South African High Commission in Canberra are mostly all Aussies so I think they understand. 

• Like 1

Thank you Juju, do you think that it is the people in Canberra that do the passport or do they simply forward the application to home affairs in South Africa and then they might be a spanner in our works....?

The SA High Commission forward the applications to DHA in RSA who then do the processing, but they don't really care as long as you didn't fill the forms in with red or green pen and even then, I don't think it will make much of a difference. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure, but there are a lot of info on the link above, and if I remember correct you can send them a certified copy of either your passport, or your SA ID doc, or birth certificate to accompany your application.

I'm sure they will be helpful if one phone them?  Maybe I should too, for peace of mind...

Contact Us

South African High Commission address

South African High Commission
Corner State Circle and Rhodes Place
Yarralumla 2600
ACT
Australia

Telephone +61 2 6272 7300
Fax +61 2 6273 1033
Political Matters: info.canberra@dirco.gov.za
Consular Services: immigration.canberra@foreign.gov.za
Trade Aspects: satrade@optusnet.com.au

Business hours

Monday to Friday:
8.30 a.m. - 1.00 p.m
1.45 p.m. - 5.00 p.m

Consular enquiries

Due to multiple variations with individual circumstances, please use the Consular email to request application forms.

Please ensure your postal details are included.

Fax +61 2 6273 1033
Email immigration.canberra@foreign.gov.za

Consular hours

Monday to Friday:
8.30 a.m. - 1.00 p.m

Trade enquiries

Fax +61 2 6273 4995
Email satrade@optusnet.com.au

General enquiries

For enquiries on passports, visas, birth certificates and other South African documents, please contact us on immigration.canberra@foreign.gov.za.

Public Holidays

The following public holidays will be observed by the Mission during the current year January to December 2015.

The Mission will remain closed on the dates:

• 01/01/2015 (Thursday)
  • 26/01/2015 (Monday)
  • 03/04/2015 (Friday)
  • 06/04/2015 (Monday)
  • 27/04/2015 (Monday)
  • 01/05/2015 (Friday)
  • 08/06/2015 (Monday)
  • 10/08/2015 (Monday)
  • 28/09/2015 (Monday)
  • 05/10/2015 (Monday)
  • 16/12/2015 (Wednesday)
  • 24/12/2015 to 03/01/2016
  • Mission reopens on 04/01/2016
Edited by Kanniewagnie
To add info

We have just renewed my son's South African passport. I don't think the blue/black pen thing should be an issue.

We sent it to Canberra at the end of August and I received his passport back at the beginning of October, so that was really good! I was impressed :)

• Like 2

You can stay in Aus as long as you want with an expired passport as long as you have a valid visa, you obviously just cannot travel. Also remeber that once you have new passports you need to update Immi with the new numbers before you do travel.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 4:18 PM, Kanniewagnie said:

My children's passports expires one of these days and so at last we've completed the forms, took the passport photo's went to the police station to get the signature and stamp of the Police Officer on the back of one of the photo's to confirm the images are those of the kids, get the Police Officer to complete the first page of the BI73 (they are under 16, so no fingerprints needed) and very chuffed with myself, got home to post it....

wait, oh what?  Black pen?  I am used to complete all forms in black, but here in Ozzieland, they don't mind blue or black and although the BI73 was completed by me in black, the portion that the Police Officer completed is in BLUE. 

Do you guys think I have to re-print, go back and get it done all over, or do you think the blue is OK?

Urgh, I'll hate it that the applications be declined just because I was too lazy to go back to get it re-done.

So please note, ASK the Police Officer to use a black pen. 

I've gotten into the habit of filling all official docs in black pen. That way nobody can complain and it's easier to scan/copy or even (this is old fashioned for the younger generation) fax them.

• Like 1

Peter,  we always complete docs in black pen, but the Police Officer did not... and there was glass between us when she wrote on a desk lower than the service desk, so I only saw it when it was too late.  It might be a good idea in future to take a black pen with you to the Police Station and ask them to use it, because in Australia black ink is not a legal issue as in South Africa.

We've posted all the doc's (with blue and all) this morning to the South African High Commission and hope for the best...

I think the South Africans are just Vogons (especially those that work in state departments). That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... ;) 

• Like 2