What Australia does NOT have

JEMS

I actually also love the diversity of Australia especially Melbourne. In our congregation there are people from all over the globe, Italian,India, Greek, infact I think outside of Greece Melbourne has the highest population of Greek people!. There are Russian and Mandarin speaking people too, getting on the train into the CBD is a real eye opener and you are surrounded by people from all walks of life. Forget South African being the Rainbow Nation.. also the main difference is that there is equality here. I am sure like any society you will get racist people but on the whole from my own limited experience Australians are very inclusive. This is the way it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things I miss are:

really good milkshakes - In SA you can go into any cafe or restaurant and you are going to get a rich, think, shake with loads of chocolate and ice-cream. In Aus, it's often just (very) overpriced nesquick...

Double brick walls - tired off cardboard masquerading as walls. One of the reasons I categorically refuse to live in an apartment or unit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shellfish said:

Two things I miss are:

really good milkshakes - In SA you can go into any cafe or restaurant and you are going to get a rich, think, shake with loads of chocolate and ice-cream. In Aus, it's often just (very) overpriced nesquick...

Double brick walls - tired off cardboard masquerading as walls. One of the reasons I categorically refuse to live in an apartment or unit. 

You get brick wall houses in WA.

4 hours ago, derekdup said:

Because of termites. 

After renovating a double brick red dust house in RSA I'll take the ease of gyprock walls any day. The key is insulation in the walls which our current house has. The default of wanting double brick is just habit in most cases and are MUCH more expensive to build. 

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

Termites are not the only consideration.

http://www.architectureanddesign.com.au/features/features-articles/what-s-with-perth-s-addiction-to-double-brick-buil#comments

https://essentialenvironmental.wordpress.com/2014/05/14/perths-obsession-with-brick-what-are-the-alternatives/

We stayed in Melbourne for 4 years, and also built a new double storey timber frame home whilst there. 

I still prefer our current double brick house with a concrete slab for the 2nd storey (vs. timber floor construction for the upper level). It just feels more robust.

The only real advantage for me with timber frame homes is the ease of running new cables (e.g. antenna cables, internet cables, etc.).

My answer was then too brief. Traditionally WA has had enough of a termite problem that it was not feasible to use wood construction and they were forced to used double brick despite the significant cost of labour that this added to the construction.   Nowadays termite treatment of the actual wood may make it an option but I can't see many people in WA taking the risk.  Steel framing is now an option that brings down the cost and build time against double brick. So the history of double brick houses means that older more established blue chip suburbs in WA have double brick houses. And being the more sort after SUBURBS then becomes synonymous with double brick. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, derekdup said:

Yep - I'm not in WA though...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

BE YOUR OWN BOSS WITHIN YOUR OWN LUCRATIVE DISTRIBUTORSHIP.

Woodoc Australia (Pvt) Ltd holds the sole right for the Importation and Distribution of the premium range of “Woodoc Wood-Sealers”. Its aim is to identify and appoint Distributors to service and supply each Australian territory in a bid to meet their respective needs and sales potential.

Woodoc Western Australia (Pty) Ltd, as the first Woodoc Distributor to be launched in mid-February 2020, with the sole right for the whole of WA. The latter has already secured the supply of Woodoc products to Lifewood Flooring (Pty) Ltd, one of WA’s leading Floor manufacturer/supplier. Our Woodoc Water Borne Deck Clear product was selected by Lifewood (Pvt) Ltd as the preferred revolutionary premium product, ahead of all other well-established competing brands.

The currently imposed travel ban has unfortunately curtailed and hampered Woodoc Australia’s initial intended rollout plan. In the interim, we are looking to identify persons or Enterprises who may be interested in possibly becoming a Woodoc Distributor, within their own allocated territory. A minimum of one Distributor per Australian territory by July 2021, remains the target.

Should you be interested in more information with the possibility of becoming a Distributor for our Brand, please do contact any of the following persons.

Gavin du Coudray;  gavin@woodoc.com.au   Duke du Coudray;    duke@woodoc.com     /   Harry Gurovich;    harry@woodoc.com

We also encourage you to visit    www.woodoc.com  /  Woodoc.biz /    https://www.lifewood.com.au/lifewood-timber-decking/

Hello Sunnyskies, the good news is that Woodoc is now available in Australia. We are also looking for Ex SA's who might be intertested in a business opportunity as Woodoc Distributors in the own territory. Contact me on gavin@woodoc.com.au or duke@woodoc.com for more information.