What Australia does NOT have

JEMS

Hmmmm... I'm also keen to hear more about the Perth Avo's.

As OubaasDik mentioned,  proper 'Cream-Soda' (it has to be green!)

I've resorted to the odd can from Coles/Woolies/Saffa shops but they're always a little flat...

Aquafresh toothpaste!

Moducare

Advil CS

Lobello - medicated

Rum 'n Raisin Energy Bars (saffa shops only stocks the strawberry, choc and caramel ones)

Ouma Rusks - sliced buttermilk

House of Coffees VIP selection

Brown Onion soup

2in1 Shampoo - very limited variety here (wouldn't even mind some of that cheap Colgate Egg 'n Brandy shampoo!)

Do I NEED any of these things, nope... But it's great when you 'verlang' a little.....

• Like 1

On 12/9/2015 at 0:52 PM, SurferMan said:

I make my own bacon, wont eat that crap in the shops. We buy avos from the local farmers. We pay $20 for 20 avos. In Perth there is a shop called Basils. hand made pies to die for. Gem squah at Woolies, Coles, all over. 

Well, we are considering moving to Perth from Melbourne and I think the gem squash's may have sealed the deal (never seen them here). 

Haha, plenty of them in Perth Shellfish, you will have no issues. I would say though to plant your own, I grow my own and they are yummy as. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shellfish said:

Well, we are considering moving to Perth from Melbourne and I think the gem squash's may have sealed the deal (never seen them here). 

They also have this thing over in perth they refer to as "summer" :P 

• Like 2

I have yet to meet a competent estate agent.... sadly. Perhaps it's just a Sydney thing, but of the 50+ estate agents I've dealt with this year, each and every one of them gave me the runaround, whether they were leasing or selling....

I guess that is why Perth is then referred to as Perthfontein?

• Like 3

Wooddoc (blue and yellow) available from SA shops (Joondalup, Duncraig, Osborne Park) in Perth.

Haz Avos from Gilberts in Midland. To ripen quickly place in bowl together with bananas.

Bundaburg Ginger Beer is really good

I'm visiting my parents here in SA and I had like 4 gem squashes. Used to have them in WA sometimes, but can't get them in Vic. 

Funny thing is as time goes by you just get used to what IS available.  The one thing I have never found a replacement for though is Chutney Flavoured Chips!  They were the best!!!  

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, but i'm sure someone already has: a Wimpy breakfast.

There's just something about a Wimpy breakfast....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pell said:

Forgot to mention, but i'm sure someone already has: a Wimpy breakfast.

There's just something about a Wimpy breakfast....

We land in RSA tomorrow morning.... Already struggling to decide between a Wimpy breakfast or their cheese burger with those gherkins... hmmmm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titus said:

We land in RSA tomorrow morning.... Already struggling to decide between a Wimpy breakfast or their cheese burger with those gherkins... hmmmm

And you can't have both because.....? :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pell said:

And you can't have both because.....? :)

Challenge accepted!

• Like 2

Seems like: Nappies and food.

That's not much...

You can get Savannah at Dan Murphy's. (at least up here in QLD). Best for these hot summer days. Price per case is about the same as the local beer.(+/-$40)

Edited by Peterthe1
Added detail

I am loving living in Oz.  I would not trade places with my family and friends back in SA and if I could, I would arrange that they all immigrate tomorrow.  There are a ton of good things about this country that outweighs the few things we do miss from home, agreed.  BUT, I left South Africa because of the chaos I perceive the country is spiraling down into, but it is still my home country and I miss it.  The parts that were great.  The parts that were home.  Braai-ing like only a South African can, watching Rugby as only a South African can, Afrikaans on the streets, cheap and readily available Milktart, Biltong and freaking Greenskin Avo's since I do not like Hass, and like others have said, I would kill for a Wimpy Breakfast right about now.  None of these are deal breakers, none make me wish I could go back home.  They are just parts that I miss.  I have made adjustments to my life with certain improvements already. I prefer the coffee over here, for instance.  They have Hospital-Grade cleaning chemicals that I, as a germaphobe, just love.  I am absolutely addicted to their 1/2 off specials run daily in almost every store, seriously, I think I need to join a support group for that one.   And my son is over the freaking moon that he can buy Pop Tarts in a store here, without having to bribe his uncle to smuggle in some from the UK when ever he goes over. The people are extremely friendly and helpful.  I got my drivers licenses sorted in under an hour and received it in the mail 5 days later, opposed to the 8 weeks I had to wait just for my renewal card in SA, which I had to go collect at the Muni who could not locate it at first.  (It was literally the last one in the last pack he looked through) 

We should be allowed to miss parts of South Africa without stirring up emotions.  I am happy to eventually become an Australian Citizen but I am sad that I can no longer be a South African. We had a great country that has been mismanaged and corrupted and it is tragic.    

1 hour ago, Peterthe1 said:

You can get Savannah at Dan Murphy's. (at least up here in QLD). Best for these hot summer days. Price per case is about the same as the local beer.(+/-$40)

You can get Svannah and Svannah lite at the IGA bottleo in Kinross Perth.

The one thing that Australia obviously does NOT have is "moedertaal onderrig".  In our case, Afrikaans schools.  Oh man, I miss that.  The kids quickly adapted, but this Antie really sukkels.

All that makes me feel better is to stand around in the mornings to hear all the different kids speaking with their parents dropping them off:  There are German, Italian, Russian, Mandarin, Slovakian (?) and us.  So it helps to know that those parents in some way or the other feel the same about that "gap" of their own culture being lost to a certain extent.

22 hours ago, JEMS said:

Afrikaans on the streets

You should move to Toowoomba if you miss that, I often overhear Afrikaans in the supermarkets (if not the streets) :rolleyes:

I suppose this is one of the cons of immigration. The ability to speak your language of choice becomes difficult as you have to adopt your new countries language. When I immigrated to South Africa my German language skills started taking a nosedive due to infrequent use. Afrikaans also started suffering when I moved to the UK and then out here due to infrequent use. The good part is that you never loose your language skills altogether, they seem to come back pretty quick once you start using them more frequently again. 

I'm still in South Africa, and as an English speaker, I don't think I will miss the multiple language thing at all, in fact I'm looking forward to hearing mostly English and not wondering what people are talking about in Zulu or Xhosa to each other at work, or taking twice as long to decipher Afrikaans emails that I'm copied on! 

3 minutes ago, Jobizzle said:

I don't think I will miss the multiple language thing at all, in fact I'm looking forward to hearing mostly English 

A word of warning - be prepared for a multitude of languages and accents - not sure where you're planning on settling once you're in Australia, but in Melbourne, you will hear all Asian languages, Russian, French, German, Italian etc and these are not tourists - they are other migrants living here just like us. I do mostly hear English, but it's not always spoken by people for whom English is the mother tongue.

I personally love it and I am also a very English South African :)

29 minutes ago, EmNew said:

A word of warning - be prepared for a multitude of languages and accents - not sure where you're planning on settling once you're in Australia, but in Melbourne, you will hear all Asian languages, Russian, French, German, Italian etc and these are not tourists - they are other migrants living here just like us. I do mostly hear English, but it's not always spoken by people for whom English is the mother tongue.

I personally love it and I am also a very English South African :)

I hear you, and I do look forward to mixing with very different people to what I'm used to, my point is more that here the vast majority speak another language at home (90%), whereas over there I'm sure the reverse is true! I'm going to Brisbane, if Wikipedia is right, only 17% speak a home language other than English, that will be a refreshing change!