What Australia does NOT have

JEMS

This is not a nit-picking list of " Oz does not have this, or that". This is a practical list for people that might need to make some arrangements prior to coming over.  With that out of the way, I am off to bed so just quickly:

As a Mom with a Nappy-wearing baby, I was very surprised to find that they do not use Bum cream here.  None.  Nada (I have now cornered two moms in shops and they both said the same thing - it is not used here).  Only Vaseline, or actual Nappy Rash cream (very expensive!) can be found.  I packed two tubs of Fissan paste in my luggage when we came over, and this is now all used up so I am having to use Vaseline which I hate as it is messy.  Fissan Paste absorbs nicely, Vaseline sits there like day-old oil on the top of an unwashed pan.  It's gross.  

They do not have Pampers, only Huggies.  Not a big issue, but some prefer Huggies, some prefer Pampers.

They do not have my daughter's old version of Nan formula here (Nan 3), so we had to adapt.  Again, in her case, was not a big adjustment, they have a Nan 3 Pro.  But still, babies can be fussy.  They do have a bit of a shortage on certain formulas here (S26 I think is "so skaars soos hoendertande :)"), so I'd suggest trying to check with a local supermarket like Coles or Woolworths (Oz version now obviously) if they do stock the brand your baby is using.  Not sure what your options are if they do not, but at least you can then try and be prepared?

I have not found a proper Gouda cheese yet.  If any of you have, please pass on that knowledge.

NO GINGER ALE!  They have a "Dry" version which is not the same.  Not at all.  There is nothing to be done about that one, so if you like it, drink up before you come over.  Perhaps try and smuggle me a bottle in.  I was not prepared, so now I crave it something fierce.

Anyway, I wanted to mention the bit about the nappy cream.   That is my main issue. 

• Like 1

Wow  I did not know that! I will bring extra nappy cream. I use Pampers. A friend of mine moved to NZ and said the same thing, but she is very happy with the NZ local brand of diaper, so I am hoping the local Oz brand will do. Huggies gives my little one a rash.

Thanks for that info!

PS Your profile pic looks virtually identical to my husbands cousin. I did a double take now and thought she moved without telling us! :D

Hi Jems 

some people I know use coconut oil as bum cream - maybe a better alternative to Vaseline? I haven't tried it but dr Google seems to think it works. 

X

lisa 

Ps I noticed the lack of pampers as well on our activation trip last week - and the buggies did not seem the same and seemed to leak on my

little  one. But could be trial and error

Edited by LisaActually

12 hours ago, JEMS said:

NO GINGER ALE!  They have a "Dry" version which is not the same. 

Have you tried "Kirks Originals" Drinking Dry Ginger Ale? I thought it was pretty close to Schweppes Ginger Ale.

We do use nappy cream.  It's called Sudocrem or some people use Bepanthan (not sure of spelling).  I don't know who you spoke to or where you are based but I had my babies in Qld and then moved to Adelaide and both places EVERYBODY uses nappy cream.

Failing that there is nappy cream from the South Africa shop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JEMS said:

I have not found a proper Gouda cheese yet.  If any of you have, please pass on that knowledge.

Have you been to a cheese shop or the markets or are you talking supermarket looking?

We have it here in Adelaide.  The Central Markets cheese shop but also our local supermarket deli counter.  You might have to ask for it but need to know that it is pronounced the Dutch way as Goo-da.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RYLC said:

We do use nappy cream.  It's called Sudocrem or some people use Bepanthan (not sure of spelling).  I don't know who you spoke to or where you are based but I had my babies in Qld and then moved to Adelaide and both places EVERYBODY uses nappy cream.

Failing that there is nappy cream from the South Africa shop.

We used Sudocrem in South Africa on recommendation of our Pediatrician there, it's available at Diskem stores and readily available here in Australia over the counter and is number one bum cream in the UK & Ireland.

Cheers

Matt

I have been to several Woolworths, Coles, Aldi, Targets, K-Marts, Chemist Warehouse and even a Babies R' Us in the Hills District, Sydney CBD and Rhodes.  And while they do sell Sudocream and other Nappy creams, these are all specifically Nappy Rash Creams.  Which is usually medicated and more expensive.  Like I said, not wanting to start a nit-picking list, but I have yet to find just plain normal baby bum cream along the lines of Fissan Bum Cream.  Your medicinal creams are normally much more expensive than just plain cream or vaseline (at least that was the case back in SA.  I had to buy a minute tub of Sudocream once to treat a nappy rash and it cost like R60 vs R30 for a big tub of Fissan bum cream).  So yes, I can use Sudocream, but it is costly when your baby goes through 5 nappies a day.  If a mom is coming over and uses Fissan Baby Bum Cream, like I did, and this is what she was used to, like I was, I thought a heads up would be nice. I would actually appreciate a tub or three ;).  I did go to a local SA shop in Dural last weekend and the shop owner said that they cannot get Fissan cream anymore.  Not sure what the issue is, but he said they cannot bring it in anymore.  The shop is called African Delights, and they sold stuff like Chutney and spices, that sort of thing.

The cheese, yes, mostly referring to general grocery stores, but I make a point of checking out the cheese selections of every butchery and deli we pass regularly and so far I have yet to find one. I was recently told to go look at the David Jones shop in Sydney CBD, apparently they sell it there.  Again, it just comes down to having something readily available that you were used to.   And just to clarify, I have found a Dutch version of Gouda, imported from Holland, in Coles, but it is not the Clover Gouda I am used to back in SA.  It had a much more tangy taste, was this pale yellow colour and while genuine Gouda, it is not Clover Gouda.  It is the Pampers / Huggies debate - both are nappies, but one brand sucks and the other is awesome.  Comes down to personal choice, since with my son, I hated Pampers, and loved Huggies.   Vice Versa with my daughter.

I will check out the Ginger Ale suggestion.  That really is the only "Man, bummer" I have found.  Would have appreciated that last glass of it back in SA much more. Might have sprung for a second bottle on the trip up to Joburg.  Drinking a 1L of it on your own just seemed like gluttony then, but now, a missed opportunity lol.

Would any of this make me go back to South Africa?  Hell Freaking No!  I just wanted to give a heads up. 

Going to find it tough to get good old Sparletta style Cream Soda as well.

They have a few revolting attempts called Creaming Soda which are pink or brown and taste only vaguely similar.  :)

Makes me want to go back HOMEEEEEEE   :unsure:   :(

AS a matter of fact, it doesn't.

15 minutes ago, OubaasDik said:

They have a few revolting attempts called Creaming Soda which are pink or brown and taste only vaguely similar.  :)

Our local Coles sells Sparletta Cream Soda and Stoney's (Not sure if that is what JEMS meant by Ginger Ale, which is actually Ginger Beer). Simba chips, Ghost Pops, Ouma Rusks, Sally William's Nougat and a host of other SA things in the SA section. Ironically the drinks are CHEAPER than buying the local soda brands at $2.09 a can for Cream Soda, here is the link to the South African food section on-line and you'll find even more in store.

I do understand that many like a taste of home, but I'm FAR more excited about the NEW options/choices we get here!

Hundreds of cheeses, exotic fruits and vegetables, the fact you can buy free range pork, that most cattle is grass fed (though often finished on corn) etc.

I love my fish monger has 20+ species of fresh fish daily and beautiful blue an soft shell crab. Just this weekend I grilled two whole red snapper.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OubaasDik said:

Most of the Coles in my area (inner eastern suburbs of Melbourne ) have a 'south African section' - pretty sure I can see cream soda ;)

1609935_10153266053519325_292219070727913106_n.jpg

Having said this - I rarely, if ever, by anything. Twisties are much better than niknaks (runs for cover...)

Edited by Shellfish
  • Like 5

Too much info warning: Luckily, I am done with nappies, good riddance! I bought (and loved) the Aldi nappies. Pretty much everybody uses nappy cream. I did not realise, till I read your post, that there is such a difference. But dont fear, here are tons of brands. Never heard of someone having to resort to Vaseline, yikes. We used one every time we changed and then a more medicated one for if there was redness. For "maintenance" we used the Gaia soothing cream, or Sudocrem, or the chemists make their own (basically zinc and castor oil). For redness or an actual rash Bapanthan (spelling?) did the trick. Skins are so different, so its probably trial and error. My pale skinned blondy never got a red bum, ever. I very seldom used anything on him at all. His olive skinned brother got his first (raging) nappy rash while still in hospital.  Dont stress, with a bit of research, you will find your fit. 

• Like 2

@JEMS I see you only landed just over a month ago so probably haven't had enough time to find the Saffa products you like here or perhaps try Aussie versions yet. 

We vary with still buying some Saffa stuff as it is relatively easy to find (especially online). Perhaps someone in Sydney can give you details on where to get Fissan paste etc.   satooz.com.au has it but they are QLD based. 

1 hour ago, AFreshStart said:

I do understand that many like a taste of home, but I'm FAR more excited about the NEW options/choices we get here!

With AFreshStart here...

We have had such fun just trying all the new stuff out, and trying to find 'new favourites'  We feel there is MUCH more to choose from in terms of food/drink.

Have found that we prefer Bundaberg ginger beer over Stoneys. Coles stocks Schweppes ginger ale, as well as their own brand. Have not tried either though.

I think the only thing we miss specifically from SA is the chutney flavoured Niknaks, but won't go out of our way to get some ( have only seen original flavour Niknaks at Coles ) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OubaasDik said:

Hahaha :) 

I hear you on the nappy front- I wish someone had given me a heads up! My son has a terribly sensitive skin and could only wear pampers sensitive nappies. Took a while to find an alternative here that he didn't react to- Naty eco nappies. We have always used bepanthen nappy cream so that was an easy one. What I missed the most was Elizabeth Annes baby products! Johnsons just doesn't smell nearly as nice. I just recently got some Elizabeth Annes baby shampoo and cream sent over from SA- happy days :)

South Africa shops here in Oz all seem to have Elizabeth Anne's.  I've bought online from a few places depending on where we lived at the time. 

6 hours ago, JEMS said:

I rarely use bum cream anymore. I totally lathered my first kid.

You could try mixing your own home made bum cream, the ingredients are probably not that hard to find. http://www.backtothebooknutrition.com/homemade-diaper-cream-aka-bum-balm/ I'd even experiment by adding waterproof sun lotion for babies in small quantities, to get a great waterproofing effect. My kid was allergenic to sun lotion though.

That really sucks about no pampers. Huggies don't fit well on my kids and caused a lot of spills and poop going up the back.

Luckily I'll be done with diapers when we move.

OK, bum crème discussion seems done, but I can vouch for Bepanthan - also really good if any of your children are sensitive to sea salt (my boy got horrendous rashes on his tummy and groin when boogie boarding and it works a treat as a preventative if you put on at home and before you hit the beach).

Other items I still use, but you can't get from Saffer shop:

-Anthesan - best anti itch cream for mozzie and spider bites - I buy a few tubes when I go back to SA. 

-Myprodol/Mypaid - you can't get an ibuprofen/paracetamol mix here.

- Woodoc - we brought a number of bottles and I'm really glad.  Just about finished my exterior (blue bottle) and not looking forward to trying to find a replacement.  I love it 'cause it doesn't make the wood sticky.

Other than that, not much - still get jelly tots and the like from the Saffer shop,  but more a bit of nostalgia than any burning need. 

On the makeup front, you can't get Matis products here - so if any of you use that and can't do without stock up.  But lots of good alternatives.

On the shoe front, you struggle to get Unisa shoes here - again only for those who know the brand.  Mountfords was stocking them but stopped.  Good news is that more stockists of Italian and Spanish shoes than 6 years ago, so I live in hope that someone else will take up the brand one of these days (they are my go to work shoe - have a heel but comfortable and stylish).  Ok, so I have a bit of a shoe thing.....

• Like 2

Second Woodoc and Myprodol...

The other thing is good bacon - I just do not like Aussie bacon (found one brand at Woolies that doesn't wreck havoc on my tastebuds).

Definitely bacon. Its very strange looking in oz, does not look raw rather looks like it has been precooked. You cant get smoky bacon either.

Avocado - very expensive and when you do buy them they are small and take ages to ripen.

Gem squash - have not seen any yet.

Debonairs Pizza

A good pie at the supermarket - In Oz the bakery section does not sell ready made pies like they do in SA. You can buy bread cakes etc but no pies.

To be honest tho Australia has a great variety of food. I actually really enjoy looking in the foreign food section for the UK (as I am British) and was really happy to find Jaffa cakes, and lots of other goodies I had missed living in SA.

I make my own bacon, wont eat that crap in the shops. We buy avos from the local farmers. We pay $20 for 20 avos. In Perth there is a shop called Basils. hand made pies to die for. Gem squah at Woolies, Coles, all over. 

you can get very good pies in Australia surferman agreed. The best one was when friends of ours took us for a drive down to Bunbury to the farmers market. Delicious. But ready made pies at supermarket are non existent.

My friend lives in Perth and she struggles to get really good avos......where do you buy yours? And are the like the ones in SA really buttery?