189/190's Lodged Nov 2015

JoleneW

Hi @JandBwithR,

We're landing about a month after you, 27th Aug. We're going to be based on The Gold Coast but perhaps we could meet up at some point, would be lovely to meet some forum friends for a braai!

Cheers and good luck with everything!

• Like 1

On 12 May 2016 at 11:14 PM, BobSA said:

Hi All

This thread has been quiet for a while. How is the packing and goodbyes going? I have booked my flight for 11th June 2016 and busy wrapping up things in SA now.

Hi BobSA,

So you're going to beat us there after all...by 5 days ?? Feels like just the other day we were waiting for those highly sought after invitations!

I can't believe how quickly the past few weeks have gone, I am sure you are feeling the same. I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster most days but also filled with excitement to start our new adventure.

Please keep in touch, would love to hear of your experiences.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All

We have moved out of our home which we sold last month for what I thought was a little less than what it was really worth. It was all we had in terms of investment so it was really scary going through the process of choosing which offer to accept. The difficulty was knowing that we were under pressure to sell since we are on a 189 visa and have to land in Aus by November. It was tough work cleaning and fixing all the little things that had been left over the years and when it came time to move there was a mountain of stuff to ride to the tip or move into storage.

It was heartbreaking for my wife to find new homes for our 2 horses which lived with us on the smallholding. We also had to say goodbye to our 2 dogs and cat which we have decided to leave behind. They have also been re-homed. We decided to rent a small furnished chalet at a holiday resort just out of town. Here there is no lease which is handy. It is right on the sea over-looking the Southern ocean which has become a point of reference in my imaginings of what awaits us when we arrive in Australia where I expect everything except the sea to be different.

My 6 year old son was brought up in our previous home and it has become a bit of a moot point when comparing our 'home' now with what he was used to. We now live in 80m2 two bedroom place which has compacted us as a family and forced us to adapt to a lot less comfort and convenience. This I hope will prepare us for what awaits us in Aus. Extended family relations have been under strain with a lot of emotion floating about but we have been given the space to carry on chasing our dreams.

We are dying to buy our tickets. The hold up is on my work side where a new business owner (professional) is buying me out. It has not been an easy process and is far from over with a few more contractual issues which need to be sorted out before I can stop working. It is hard on everyone to keep a clear picture of the future when there are these sorts of changes. It would have been nice to just resign. On the otherside of the globe I have some potential jobs lined up. Some are East coast and some are in Perth. There is a degree of frustration in not been able to give definite dates to prospective employers. We are also not sure whether to land in Brisbane or Perth. This is getting our mates all worked up (some on the East coast and some on the West coast). I think in the end we will probably visit both areas, do some interviews and decide which job is best. I must say my heart wants us to go East coast.

Recently I have found myself OCDeeing over the exchange rate. We are currently moving our funds over to an Australian bank account and check the rate almost every hour. Luckily it has shown a tendency to improve (a process which happens slowly) so the question is how long do you wait? When the Rand weakens it happens quickly so you need to be ready to send your funds. All very nerve wracking and I cant wait to get it over and done with.

So all in all life is moving along and we are determined to enjoy the ride. We had a Farewell party over the weekend which was great. It is good to see my wife enjoy herself. My son went back to school yesterday and I noticed a bit of a skip as he went through the door and entered a bit of normality again. We are hoping to fly out on the 29th of August.

Aussie here we come!

• Like 2

HI @JandBwithR

We have also been going through the same process, and we also had a small holdings and will be moving into a 80m2 house within the next few weeks. 

For once I can say I know exactly what you are going through....

You are very fortunate to have job opportunities while still in SA, I have been looking for work all over AUS since March and had only one call back.

We planned a LSD/job-hunt trip in Sept-Oct. I hope that brings some results for us.

All the best and I hope the business deal gets wrapped up soon.

• Like 2