Anyone with dual Dutch/SA passports?

bundy

Hi,

I have a SA and Dutch passport as do my kids hubby only has SA.

When we get Australian citizenship the Dutch automatically is lost, unless I am married to an Australian citizen at the time of me acquiring Aus citizenship.

Does anyone know if it is possible for the kids and I to retain the Dutch and acquire Australian by getting hubby to get his Australian before us? I will then be married to an Aussie citizen when I get my citizenship.

Would love to hold onto the Dutch so the kids have an opportunity in Europe in the future should they wish.

Thanks

• Like 1

I can't answer your question, but I like your idea! If you can do that, go for it!!! I'd even go as far as saying if you need to pay a legal professional to sort it out, do that. EU passports let you into so many places.

• Like 1

You do not all have to become citizens at the same time, hubby can get his first and you and the kids later, no problem whatsoever.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Bundy - did you ever succeed with your plan? I'm in a similar position. My brother did what you were suggesting back in 2012 and it worked for him. When I was last at the ducth consulate in Sydney I asked if there was any risk of losing dutch if taking on aus and she said no, but I don't think she's correct.

Any input appreciated,

Thanks

i found this online....

Since April 1, 2003, Dutch citizens with dual citizenship will lose their Dutch citizenship if they hold a foreign citizenship and reside outside the Kingdom of the Netherlands or the European Union for 10 years.

Dual Citizenship Netherlands

Netherlands*. In general, Dutch citizenship forbids obtaining an additional nationality. However, there are exceptions for Dutch people who obtain another citizenship at birth, or who are live in a country they hold nationality of thanks to their spouse.

Edited by SandraDee

I think most of that is applicable to people who immigrate into The Netherlands and want to retain their nationality of their country of origin (this is about to be changed in 2019 https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/09/dutch-to-publish-modernised-dual-nationality-plans-next-spring/ ) - you will only lose your Dutch citizenship if you haven't lived in The Netherlands for 10 years AND failed to renew your passport during this time. https://www.everaert.nl/en/areas-of-expertise/dutch-citizenship/680-how-not-to-lose-dutch-nationality