Ormeau, schooling and area info

BrandonandChristelleHobbs

Hi all,

We're moving to Queensland in January, received our 189 visa and these last couple of months have been hectic!

We are a family of 4, kids are aged 16 (Boy) and 10 (Girl), never been to Aus, we have been looking at areas to live in between Brisbane and Gold Coast. Ormeau/Ormeau Hills has piqued our interest.

Is there anybody that can give us some details about the area and the quality of schooling? Or any suggestions as to other areas nearby that have good schools and also nice to live in.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Most people usually advise to find a job first and then pick where to live after that. The city has a North / south divide (the Brisbane River runs through it) and the limited bridges from one side to the other make it necessary to consider your commute when choosing where to live. If you already know where you will be working then let us know.

Also Brisbane to Gold Coast is a vast area. Perhaps you can say roughly where you live now (in RSA) so we can give relevant examples / advice.

In the mean time, here is a map of the schools in the area: https://www.google.com/search?q=ormeau+school&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=ormeau+school+qld&rflfq=1&rlha=0&tbm=lcl

but you will need to let us know whether you can afford private or are looking only at state schools.

Also whether you are prepared to commute. Lets say one of you is working in the city and you want private schooling, you may consider sending your child to a top city school as they can commute with a parent.

Edited by RYLC

We move to Gold Coast in Dec. I still haven't booked flights or booked my container- I think we are in denial, but the visa expires 20 Dec so I am sure we will be there!

I have just applied to St Stephens, A B Paterson and Emmanuel college, my son is also 16 , and I have a daughter of 14.

These are all private schools/ Christian schools - we figured with only a few years left of schooling we would bite the bullet and continue with the private education. All came highly recommended by a friend who has lived there for 7 years and another forumite. If you use the search button on this for 'schools on the gold coast' you will find the thread I started asking about schools - I got a great response - lots of good schools recommended. A great place to start.

Maybe we will see you there!