Teaching in Australia: The process explained updated 2015

rikamarie

I came accross some info on net - all states excluding NSW has mutual registration agreements. Check with what state you can register from S.A - the other states should then accept that registration  (fine print - with some states) but its a way to get things done from S Africa - however you can forget about NSW !  

• 1 month later...

All of the information on this post is extremely helpful!  

I was wondering about private tutoring in Aus. That's more or less what I do in SA. I'm a qualified teacher. Has anyone here done / considered private tutoring in Aus? Does anyone know what the procedure is, e.g do you still have to jump through as many hoops? Is there a demand?

IF the procedure is less complicated, it can be considered to start you off with - earning money whilst jumping through the hoops to get a permanent teaching position. 

Just a thought. 

Australia doesn't focus on academics in the same way as Saffas do so the only "tutors" I know of are for remedial assistance in early primary school. Probably more of a thing in the capital cities for private school kids but then again private schools often keep

this extra tuition in house. You'll have to do some research to know for sure. 

7 hours ago, Chandre said:

All of the information on this post is extremely helpful!  

I was wondering about private tutoring in Aus. That's more or less what I do in SA. I'm a qualified teacher. Has anyone here done / considered private tutoring in Aus? Does anyone know what the procedure is, e.g do you still have to jump through as many hoops? Is there a demand?

IF the procedure is less complicated, it can be considered to start you off with - earning money whilst jumping through the hoops to get a permanent teaching position. 

Just a thought. 

Chandre, tutoring is definitely big in Sydney.  I suppose it depends where you settle, but there will always be something.  I have a British teacher friend, who did tutoring while getting up to speed on the Aus curriculum and getting her qualifications in order to teach in a Australian school.  She joined a tutoring agency and taught mainly to extremely clever 15-18 year olds who wanted to knock their English mark out of the park.  She either met them at home or in a library.  I googled tutoring for you and found this on one of the tutoring pages.  Maybe look to see what you need to do.  http://www.tutoringforexcellence.com.au/tutoremployment/private-tutors-employment.htm

There is of course tutoring at the lower end of the scale, with kids that need a boost.  My 7 year old is doing a intensive reading program these holidays at Macquarie University. The cost of the 8 days (50mins a day) will make your eyes water. http://www.multilit.com/literacy-centres/our-tutors/        http://www.handsupforoneononetuition.com/multilit/  This last one charges $800 for a term, one hour a week.  Multilit is a brilliant qualification to have.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi :-) do you need to ask AITSL to do a skilled employment assessment when you send your qualification away for assessment? 

Hi @laurie26. I didn't ask for one, and just submitted pay slips, IRP5's and employment letters to prove my work experience when uploading to immiaccount.  I've got the visa, so that seemed to suffice for the points. I think it doesn't cost you extra though if it's done when you send in for your qualifications to be assessed, so I guess if you are organised you may as well.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know whether any states allow you to apply for registration as a teacher offshore AND before your visa is granted? Seems my initial trip to oz could be only a couple of weeks before visa grant at the current expected pace.