School Fees on 489 visa in South Australia

NIENIEINSA

Hi there,

We are planning to immigrate to South Australia. We will be on a 489 state sponsored visa. I just wanted to find out if we will get charged international school fees, or will we get charged the normal school levies (the same cost as permanent residence or citizens)?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nienieinsa,

Not sure what you mean by PR or Citizen levies? Here in NSW schooling is FREE, they have a donation suggestion, but it's not forced and nominal. I think what you mean is will you be charged international student fees or temporary resident fees. In the case of NSW as a temporary resident you'd be paying $5,000 a year, if you were here on an international student visa, $10,000, if you were a permant resident or citizen it would be FREE. Hope that helps, maybe someone can chime in on SA though.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

Thank you for your reply. I meant temporary resident fees. The 489 visa is a 4 year visa with pathway to permanent resident. Yes, sorry i was referring to the donation suggestion for the school.

We are on a 489 visa and we don't pay school fees (we are in WA) - I researched this quite a bit as I too assumed that because we were temporary, we would have to pay. I can't remember the exact site where I found the info, but I do recall it being under the 475 visa which was what the 489 used to be called. I printed it out and took a copy to the school, which they have kept on file.

I'll try look it up again and post the link for you.

Edited by leeferg1
  • Like 1

NieNieInSA...I have a quick look but may be mistaken. Some states charges full school fees (not just the voluntary portion) on a 457. But some states don't. Also, even in the states that charge full fees, some individual schools do not. Eg. ACT will charge full international fees on 457! I am positive that SA only charges voluntary donation but just be careful and check. Western Australia changed in Jan 2015 and now charges $4000 for 457 holders

Sorry NieNieInSa...I just realised you are on a state sponsorship and I have been harping on about 457...my apologies.

We also on 489 state sponsored and we heard that we will have to pay the international fees. Leeferg1 if you find the document please share.thank you

No we haven't made the move yet but we will be moving to NSW. We heard that catholics school are much cheaper than government schools

Hi all

We are also on a 489 visa and I sent a mail to the SA Education department and received the following response - yes, I got a reply!!! How cool is that!

"Providing the whole family is on a 489 visa, then for purposes of their education your children are classed as local citizens and are only required to pay the local school fees.

These fees can range between AUD$190 and AUD$920 per year per child depending on the year level and school.

All government schools have catchment areas (zones) from which they can accept students and therefore a child can only attend the school nearest their home, unless they have special requests ie music.

Therefore all you would need to do once you arrive in Adelaide is approach the government school nearest your home address, show them a copy of your visa documentation, your children's and your passports, any school reports for the children and details of your rental/purchase accommodation address.

Once you have provided this information, then the school will enrol the children. If the school feels that the children will need English language support and they do not offer it at their school, then they will provide you with the name of the school the children can attend and the above procedure again follows.

I hope this information is of assistance."

Kind Regards

Ms Lesley Young

Coordinator

Enrolment Services

International Education Services

Department for Education and Child Development

Ground Floor West, 31 Flinders Street, Adelaide SA 5000 | PO Box 1152, Adelaide SA 5000

T: + 618 8226 0854 | E: Lesley.young@sa.gov.au

W: www.internationalstudents.sa.edu.au | South Australian Government Schools Blog

• Like 2

I'm so glad you managed to get "official" confirmation on this issue.

I have searched for that link, but I just cannot find it (it was 2 years ago). I can ask the school for a copy of the document I gave them if anyone is still unsure, so please let me know.

Thank you so much AndreCarla l feel so relieved hope the same applies to NSW too.

Chips,

You are in the all clear, the 489 in NSW is NOT seen as "temporary" like the 457, even though the VISA is classed as a temporary VISA you have the provisions for FREE schooling built in, so there are no fees involved. Hope that brings you some relief, you can confirm it here: http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/visa-subclasses.pdf

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

We are in South Australia and have PR.. we dont pay school fees for public schools.

I think we pay around $350-500 for the year, which covers think like technology use, maintenance, things like that...

Thank you so much AFreshStart you indeed made my day,so relieved thank you again :)

• Like 1