Police clearance certificate

FairGo

Hi guys

Has anyone applied for Police clearance on their own? I am planning to send our forms with fingerprints via courier to Pretoria office and doing EFT. I need to apply with both maiden and married surname. Must I send a letter with the forms to request this?

Please give advice on the process you followed and what was the turnaround time.

Edited by TacticJourney

I am not sure if it is possible to do on your own. We went to the Police Station in our town, the woman was very competent, all in all it took around 30 minutes to get both of our forms completed and fingerprints done. Turnaround time was about 3 weeks, it was really quick. BUT, they forgot to add my maiden name, so we had to wait 4 working days for them to redo it, and then got it couriered back again.

Apparently I must go to local police station, fill in form 91a and get fingerprints done. Then I must go to SAPS head office in central Pretoria, I heard that it is not safe, hence why I want to send it via courier.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, we were able to courier our own documents. We were given the forms in envelopes with the address in Pretoria on, sealed by the Police station. We then had our couriers Dawn Wing go and drop off the forms and collect again when it was ready. The lady actually told us that it would be quicker doing it that way. But then again, I am based in the Western Cape so it was not really an option for me to go there myself.

• Like 1

Did you pay at your local police station the fee of R96 per form and sent slip with courier? Did you need to add your maiden name on the 91a form? Sorry for the 20 questions. I appreciate your replies.

Honestly I cannot remember the exact fee but it sounds about right. We had to send the slip with the courier, and yes, my maiden name had to be added onto the form. I am heading out in a bit so if you have any further questions, I'll reply if I can when I am back.

We took the forms to the station in Pretoria CBD ourselves. YES, it's a scary place. :excl: If you don't have to, don't go there. That was last year and the whole place was full of one-ways and construction obstructions, and you can't find parking. And everyone walking around just has that alert/suspicious air about them, unless they look like they are the ones you need to be alert for. And you certainly don't want to phone for help from there, because that's probably how you'll lose your phone.

If I knew this in advance I would have paid a courier gladly.

And they made a mistake with my PCC, so I had to go there about three times in the end. :wacko:

Hi, we did the fingerprints and payment at our local police station and then used a courier to send it to Pretoria.

It took two weeks from delivery in Pretoria for us to receive confirmation that they have received our docs. We are now patiently waiting for them (only received the sms this week).

I will let you know once they are complete how long it took.

Edited by Peanuts
  • Like 1

We applied ourselves, my wife filled out the form under her married name but I gave them a copy of her married ID and a copy of her maiden name ID, I also dropped the forms off myself in Pretoria and told the women at the counter that I needed both names, she wrote this in red pen on the application form.

I was expecting the worst but when I collected them, her PCC had both names on.

Good luck !

• Like 1

We had a problem with my wifes police clearance in that they hadn't included her marriage name on her first certificate. We then had to have her fingerprints taken, filled out all the paperwork and paid the fee again. The second time around we sent in copies of her ID (maiden name),passport (marriage name), marriage certificate and the first clearance certificate she received with a large note asking them to include both her marriage and maiden name. The turn around time was 4 weeks on both applications.

I'm starting to think keep my surname (and then settling for a double barrel) was probably a good idea.

We had fingerprints done at local police station. No queue, no issues. The lady at finance however said that when handing in the form at the Pretoria office, I need to get a slip that confirms they have received my application. I am hesitant to send it via courier.

I will probably have to go hand it in personally over the weekend.

We decided to do PCC's by ourselves. I sent docs via courier on Friday. Received sms today that applications are being processed.

Edited by TacticJourney
  • Like 1

We also went the courier route, it cost R146 to deliver from Durban and will cost the same to collect. It was worth it because we sent 2 applications in 1 package. Our applications were delivered on 20 August. I have just checked on their website and we are in the system. No sms yet. To check this go to http://www.saps.gov.za/services/certificate.php

• Like 1

there is a woman named tanya 0845555804, she is based in pta, i tracked her down online.

she expedited my pcc's (for a fee.) very efficient

docs were couriered to me within days, usual turnaround time is 4 - 6 weeks (and can take up to 3 months depending on various bureaucratic factors)

• Like 1

Hi where in Pretoria exactly can we apply forPCC personally? Do you have address to courier it to should we go that route please? Thank you!

Hi Sweepea

You should have your fingerprints done at your local police station. Pay a fee of R96 per form.

Courier it to

Criminal Record Center

1st Floor, Botongo Plaza West building

271 Francis Baard street

Pretoria

you go to your local police station, pay and do fingerprints as TacticJourney has said. we used postnet and couriered it to pta. they take about 10 days to actually log it onto their system (ours was received on 16 july and only loggged onto system on 28th)

in our case, we waited a FURTHER 3 weeks and still had no joy. they don't answer the phone or reply to mails.

i contacted tanya (number i supplied yesterday), she has a contact, and we had our pcc's 3 days later. if you contact her directly from the start you should have your pcc's in 10 - 15 days. it costs, but i decided to pay since the prospect of the visa grant is worth it to me.

Thanks for replies. Maybe hubby and I should apply now ourselves since I haven't even lodged EOI so gives us more time. How long after receiving ITA do you have to submit PCC? I have one from Nov 2014. Hubby has dec2014

Izzystipes so you could take it yourself to Postnet? Thought we would have to have courier collect forms directly from local police station?

Friends,

While keeping an eye on my PCC's progress on their website, I am surprised today to see that our applications do not show up on their website at all! They were shown as having been received since the 20th Aug when they were delivered, but now, nothing!

Has this happened to anyone before? What could it mean? I have tried contacting SAPS, but haven't had any luck so far...

Please help!

When ours were finalized I went onto the website and they were nowhere to be found. Because I used a "little help" I actually thought I had been scammed but 2 days later I received the sms that they had been finalized. I had already had them couriered to me by then though. So maybe that is good news? You might get your sms soon! When did you get your first msg from saps that they were logged?

• Like 1

Our application also just shows as received on their website. I expect it to take at least 4 weeks to get our PCC's processed. They do pick up their landline if you phone 3 times and have it ring for about 5 minutes each time.... The lady that eventually picked up was quite helpful.