Foxtel and Internet Package

Belindaf

Hi Getting together various quotes for Broadband Internet. Would you recommend getting the Foxtel Basic + Sports Channels and Internet 500G Package? What are your thoughts on this, very confusing....

Personally i think foxtel is a ripoff :P

Save some money and get just the internet connection :D

There is also Optus + FetchTV. It offers all the free to air channels and $15 extra gets you 32+ channels. They also have integrated NetFlix, which we use (extra $8 a month). Currently the Entertainment Bundles gets you this, unlimited home phone and internet for $95 a month and you can add the sports package for $15 extra.

• Like 2

I have Foxtel, but just with the beginners package, costs me $25 per month...to me it is worth it, just for the recorder, absolutely love that recorder, works like a dream.

My internet and home telephone is with TPG, costs me $88 per month, allows me unlimited internet, unlimited local and national calls and unlimited calls to 80 overseas countries in which RSA is included. The only thing that will be extra is if you use the phone to call a mobile number within Australia. If you call a mobile number overseas, it is included. I have had this package for 18 months and never had a problem. Not sure if it is still on offer.

• Like 1

There is also Optus + FetchTV. It offers all the free to air channels and $15 extra gets you 32+ channels. They also have integrated NetFlix, which we use (extra $8 a month). Currently the Entertainment Bundles gets you this, unlimited home phone and internet for $95 a month and you can add the sports package for $15 extra.

This sounds interesting. Do you know what the Sports package entails?

I've literally only got Foxtel because of Fox Sports (for Rugby)

This offers a good comparison of the various options: https://www.comparetv.com.au/compare/broadband-bundles/phone-entertainment/

Greggle,

Good link to see them at a glance, though I can't see how they list Foxtel over the Optus because they aren't showing the full benefits and/or costs.

Foxtel means committing to a 24 month contract, Optus you can do on a month-to-month. Also with Optus what is nice is as it points out you can rent the latest movies direct from the Fetch TV Box, it's cheaper than Apple TV and integrated into the box, as well as Ten Play, SBS on Demand etc which allow you to catch-up with any TV shows you might have missed after they have aired. As I shared it also has integrated NetFlix and they have been running specials where they give you 6-months FREE NetFlix.

Also if you combine it with using Optus as you mobile provider (as I do) they will give you a 10% discount if you ask and Optus often reward their members with FREE ad hoc bonuses.

I took my son to see his first big screen movie at Hoyts (Ster Kinekor variants), tickets are normally $13 each, but they gave us 2 FREE tickets as a loyalty benefit and I also subscribe to their Optus Movie rewards program for discounted Cinema tickets with Hoyts.

So the benefits go beyond that of just the basic services, something to consider for those looking.

Cheers

Matt

Yep, they are also comparing the unlimited optus plan to the 100gig telstra plan, 100gb is not enough if your wife is watching a lot on netflix :P

The 300 gig plan from Optus does really well for us, and that is cheaper than their unlimited plan,

Telstra only has a 200gig and 500gig (See what they did there?) also the sport is extra, and their plan with 500 and sport is.... $ 164 per month, plus a whole bunch of extra charges they dont mention in the "comparison"

Min cost is $4195 on a 24-month plan if you self-install:
$164 x 24 months monthly min charge
$59 activation fee for new home broadband customers
$200 installations & equipment fee
An additional fee of $192 may apply if you require a Professional Installation
Telstra is really expensive and so is foxtel with lots hidden in the extra's
  • Like 1

Thanks for the 'inside' info @AFreshStart and @Nev - that's really helpful!