Medicals -what it entails?

HayleyErasmus

Hi

I’m just wanting to query what the medical entails. We are a healthy family of 4 (parents and 2 young kids) but would just like to know what is involved.

1. X-rays? Of what – lungs?

2. Blood test? What are they testing for?

3. Any other actual procedures?

4. Any other specific questions they may ask?

Any advice would help ~ thanks

Hi

We are going on the 22 July, so I can answer all your questions then - if you don't get answers from other people before then :-)

Two adults and a toddler.

Hi, we did our medicals in PE on the 21st of April 2015. We received a set of instructions, including a Panel Physician list of approved Medical centers and Doctors we could use. It was for myself, my husband, our 9 year old son and then 9 month old daughter.

We went with Bay Medical Centre in PE, a Dr Visser. Our x-rays were done at Bay Radiology, for which we had to book appointments for. My husband and myself had to get X-rays of our lungs, our children were exempt as they are under the age of 11. Once that was completed, we went to Dr Visser, where we were weighed, height measurements taken and had to do a basic eye test before seeing the doctor. He did a physical examination consisting of pressing down on your stomach to feel around for any lumps, checking of eyes, ears, listening to heart, lungs. It was a basic physical assessment. I had to remove my shirt but did not need to remove any other clothing. Thereafter, my husband and I had to have our blood drawn, to test for HIV. The x-rays were booked for an hour each, but we were both done in under one hour collectively. The physical tests took a hour for all four members, so all in all, it was over in two hours.

We had to present our Passports at both the Radiology department and doctors' rooms. And we received a set of instructions beforehand from the Bay Medical Centre:

Please see below the list of requirements for your appointments with Dr Visser:

1) Valid Passports to be presented on date of consultation. We will unfortunately have to reschedule your appointments should these not be present on the day.

2) List of prescribed medication.

3) List of any major operations.

4) Full bladder - this will apply for everyone except the baby.

5) Spectacles if any of the applicants use them.

6) Chest x-rays - this must be done before consultation with Dr Visser. Please be advised that this is only done for adults and children over the age of 11 years. The children are under the age of 11 and therefore would not be required to have these done.

7) Costs: (501 medical examinations only)

R700.00 per adult

R600.00 per child

*this must be settled immediately after consultation. You are also more than welcome to use your debit or credit card.

*All adults will be required to do HIV blood tests. Our nurses will draw your blood and send it away with Ampath (Panel approved Pathologists

Hope the above is helpful.

To add on, we had to register Immi accounts first where we were asked a set of questions. For example:

Have you ever been diagnosed with Tuberculosis (TB)? Have you ever had to take treatment for Tuberculosis (TB)?
Have you ever been in close contact at work or at home with a person known to have Tuberculosis (TB)?
Have you ever been admitted to hospital and/or received medical treatment for an extended period for any reason (including for a major operation or treatment of a psychiatric illness)?
Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?

Have you ever been told you are HIV positive?

Do you have, or have you ever had, hepatitis, problems with your liver or yellowing of the skin?
Do you have or have you had cancer in the last 5 years?

Do you have high blood sugar / diabetes?
Do you have heart problems, including high blood pressure or a heart condition that you were born with?
Do you have a blood condition?
Do you have bladder or kidney problems?
Do you have a physical or intellectual disability that make it difficult for you to function independently (for example, to move around or learn) or work full-time?
Do you need to take drugs or drink alcohol regularly?
Are you taking any prescribed pills or medication (excluding oral contraceptives, over-the counter medication and natural supplements)? If yes, please list these.
Are you pregnant?

• Like 2

Just remember, the medical may vary if the doctor suspects anything.

I once spoke to an agent (not MARA registered) and he said there are two situations here. You know a family member has a serious condition and you are "taking a chance" or you don't know a family member has a serious medical condition.

If you get rejected over a condition you didn't know about, you should be extremely greatful they found out about the serious condition :).

Edited by monsta

Yep, just to add, the Xrays are looking for signs of TB in your lungs as it shows up on Xrays

Can we get our X-rays beforehand at a facility other than the one specified by the doctor? We are going to Dr Rosendorf in CT and their letter states we must go to the radiologist in the same building. The radiologist doesn't take bookings so it's a first come first serve situation, will have to go early to be sure we all get done in time before doctors appointment. With three kids in tow it would be easier to just go to our local GP who do X-rays. Any thoughts?

You need to go to the radiographer they tell you to. Aussie is very fussy about the x-rays.

Yep ,the place taking the Xrays is accredited by Auz immigration, so they wont let you go somewhere that isn't,

And chances are that the one the doc has given you is the only one in the area, you can ask, but i suspect you will need to go to the one they tell you to.

Thanks monsta and Nev for the imput. I had thought this might be so. We'll just go through in morning get xrays done, go home, come back later for appointment. A schlep but easier with kids.

They do also bring out the tape-measure ... but your husband doesn't have to stress as it is only to measure your height! ;)

Hi

l kindly wanted to find out from those who did the medical examination recently how much it costed for an adult and if the prices are the same as adults for children under 11?

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, renebo said:

Hi has anyone had a problem with the medicals because they wear glasses? Tia

If your eyesight is corrected by glasses this would normally be no issue.  The eye test is with your glasses on.

They care about what it is going to cost the Australian taxpayer.  If weight is causing a health risk then yes it would affect their decision.

On 04/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, renebo said:

Thanks TeeTMI

any chance you know if weight plays a big role? 

R

If it impacts on your health it may potentially be questioned further...  The Panel Dr is requested to consider your BMI - and if 'obese' whether there are / or may be Health complications due to this.  If they consider it warranted further tests might be requested.

Edited by TeeTMI