Potential relocation from Sydney to Perth

tuckers

Hi there

We have been in Sydney for 7 years and are well settled on the northern beaches.

But a great careers opportunity has come up in Perth and we are considering the move.

We are a young family with a 4 year old and 2 year old and it feels a little daunting to have to start again and worried about being unsettled.

Has anyone done a similar move? We understand the following areas are good: nedlands, applecross, Claremont ....any comments or tips?

Thanks

Those are all awesome areas if you can afford it. Check out realestate.com.au for house prices and rental costs. Very good schools in the area, conveniently located with good access to city.Close to the best beaches and some cool cafes and restaurants in the area. BUT, Perth is isolated from the rest of Aus. If you need to travel within Aus to eastern states fpr work reasons it's a bit of a hike. We lived on east coast and relocated with work to Perth in 2004 and from our experience we've never looked back. We also maintain very close ties with SA the time diffs is more favourable from Perth, not to mention the SAA flight which departs at 11:55PM and gets you into Jhb at about 5:00AM, it's just one sleep :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks Rhys's. At moment I am travelling from Sydney to Perth often so travel will be reduced.

We did the move Melbourne to Brisbane also for good career opportunity after 6 years in Melbourne. There are pros and cons, and I can say that the move is not as traumatic as the first move over. You will adapt quite quickly and the areas you are looking at are all good. Your children are young but if you have a preference school wise then choose a suburb that accommodates that as it is inconvenient to have to move again once you have sorted all the stuff for the kids in the suburb you first move to.

The major con is that you will likely miss Sydney and what it offers a LOT.

We moved Melbourne to sydney and absolutely love sydney. That being said I miss my friends in Melbourne. We visited Perth for a business opportunity and stayed by friends. These friends were sydneysiders who moved to Perth. The were IT industry and the work dried up so they moved back to Sydney within 2 years.

I have other friends, in banking who moved Melbourne to Perth and are happy, settled and bought their first Aussie home there. All depends on your lifestyle choices and work opportunities. Perth is great, and moving while kids are still small will make it easier to adapt. Good luck with your decisions xxx

I did the reverse - moved from Perth to Melbourne.

I moved here for career opportunities and so that my partner could find work. Melbourne has delivered the career opportunities we needed. But I hate it here, I'll be heading back to Perth when the time is right (probably within about 2 years or so).