Our first visit back to RSA

BriD

Question

21 answers to this question

really enjoyed reading this ... thank you for sharing ...

We have been in Australia for 3 and a half months and all i want to do is hop on a plane and go visit family & friends in SA.

But do I want the emotions to start all over again :cry:

Edited by charmz
  • Like 2

Welcome back and I am so happy for you that you returned safely and that you are now settled in your own home!

• Like 1

What gets me is who do you blame for RSA's mess? Its clear the ANC should have been voted out years ago as its clear they have no answers to the problems.

So, do you blame the ANC's voters? Well, most of them can't spell corruption. A lot of them feel threatened into votoung ANC.

So, do you blame the hand full of people who go around telling lies like, "your ancestors will strike you down if you don't vote ANC?". The voters aren't iddiots.

Do you blame politicians for stealing as much as they can? Aussie lollies do that too...they are just limited here in how much they can steal and still get voted back in.

Welcome back. I booked tickets for us to go to RSA for Xmas, about 6 weeks ago, and I must admit, I have been regretting it since. In my view, the place took a sharper nose dive in the time I have had the tickets. Feeling a little bit uneasy, hope it passes. On a gross/funny note. My sister was visiting RSA from the UK (a country South Africans think dont have meat). They ended up going to 4 braais in 3 days and apparently my BIL had to pull over on a highway somewhere for my sister to be sick. Too much of a good thing....

• Like 2

What a story!

You do have a way of writing that just touches the heart...

I hope I get to meet you some day.

• Like 2

One of the best posts I have read by someone after their first visit back. I identified with much of what you said.

• Like 2

BRID - thanks for such a heart-felt narrative of your feelings, experiences and emotions...

Continue to enjoy and embrace your life in Australia!!!

And congrats on your new home too!!

• Like 1

Wow didnt imagine all South Africans felt the same way. Must honestly say that your experiences are so much alike ours, we landed in Jan 2014, too afraid to even visit because of family ,friends and acquaintances reactions .

Nice read - enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It is nice to know that so many people had similar experiences to me.

Monsta, those are questions that just will never have a resolution unfortunately :(

Rozellem, the thought of 4 braai's in 3 days makes me feel sick too! I really do understand your concerns...it is hard not to be when you feel so safe and at home in Aus and then knowing you are going back and have to get into super alert mode is very exhausting and worrying. However...it really does come back to you quite easily as if you never left. It is really quite strange that way. Try to focus on the awesome family time you will have...easier said than done I know...but you will enjoy it once you are there. Big Hugs!!

Eyebrow...You are inspirational with all the effort you put into getting to Aus - I followed your story closely. It would be awesome to meet you one day :)

• Like 1

I don't understand. :(

4 Braai's in 3 days sounds like... Heaven :D

(PS - enjoyed the read though, and congrats on the house!)

• Like 1

Yep, great read,

We are honestly dreading having to go back for anything, there is a little guy we need to look after now, quite honestly just never going back for anything would be first prize for us, but i suspect that we will have to at some stage

• Like 3

This is a topic that we can debate for years and you will always have different opinions.

However, we returned to Port Elizabeth in 2008 and the minute we landed at the Airport it felt like I never left. I loved every minute of being back with friends, family, playing golf, fishing, holidays in Keurbooms and never looked back.

We recently also had friends and family over from Perth and man did they love this place. Cape Town was obviously the big draw card for them and they already planned their next visit before they left for home.

I don't believe that anybody should be afraid to come and visit friends and family. Just be careful where you go and always be alert. This I am sure applies to wherever you plan to travel in the world.

• Like 1

I'm with you Nev. My mum passed away some years ago, and my poor father is watching his mates die like flies around him, even his eldest brother is dead from lung cancer. I am so far away from him, but I try to phone him at least every 1-2 months and see how he is going. That dread call Rhyss referred to will come, as it must for all of us, but man I am not keen. But even so I doubt I will return to SA, even for a visit. No desire to do so. To those who do, good on yer! Emigration, tough but totally doable.

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Nev and others, you will be pleased to know I have designed a new app that allows for zero interest mortgages. Yes, zero interest. I am refining the model now, and all the regulatory and legislative BS that comes with such a radical idea, but I have consulted to many banks so I know it's feasible. The problem will be getting around the fat cat gatekeepers. This was borne out of me working in banks and seeing first hand just how badly they screw the customer. I have sat in meetings where they call the lawyers in and ACTIVELY discuss how to work the customer for more money. For e.g. when the NCA Act came into effect they would no longer be allowed to nail people overlimit fees. No problem, wheel the lawyers in and figure out how to get that lost revenue stream back, and more. I'm not knocking lawyers, but the utter heartlessness of it shocked me to the core.

Yes they are in it to win for their shareholders, but that is disgusting. So fast forward many years and it came to me in a flash, quite literally. In a dream one night. I believe it is from God, since the bible says usury is unlawful. So here's to one little man's quest to free his fellow man as best he can! I hope I get it to fly, even if I don't make a dime from the idea, the thought of being able to help people rid themselves of the shackle of a mortgage gives me relentless optimism. :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

Sounds good, there is a huge market in the Muslim population for something like that, yep i have come to know about bank feed and have gained a real dislike for them, when you start adding things up across your entire portfolio of everything and just look at the amount that you are giving away per month in fees and interest, it is pretty crazy.

Wont be too long for us to get the car paid off and then we debt free, cant wait

We have a lot more to clear, given I have not had work for 6 months. But I nailed a top rate so I will be all square in 4 months. I will leave a $1 owed in my car account to avoid their pesky early termination fees. But it will be nice to list debts as "$1" LOL

• Like 1

I'm with you Nev. My mum passed away some years ago, and my poor father is watching his mates die like flies around him, even his eldest brother is dead from lung cancer. I am so far away from him, but I try to phone him at least every 1-2 months and see how he is going. That dread call Rhyss referred to will come, as it must for all of us, but man I am not keen. But even so I doubt I will return to SA, even for a visit. No desire to do so. To those who do, good on yer! Emigration, tough but totally doable.

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Nev and others, you will be pleased to know I have designed a new app that allows for zero interest mortgages. Yes, zero interest. I am refining the model now, and all the regulatory and legislative BS that comes with such a radical idea, but I have consulted to many banks so I know it's feasible. The problem will be getting around the fat cat gatekeepers. This was borne out of me working in banks and seeing first hand just how badly they screw the customer. I have sat in meetings where they call the lawyers in and ACTIVELY discuss how to work the customer for more money. For e.g. when the NCA Act came into effect they would no longer be allowed to nail people overlimit fees. No problem, wheel the lawyers in and figure out how to get that lost revenue stream back, and more. I'm not knocking lawyers, but the utter heartlessness of it shocked me to the core.

Yes they are in it to win for their shareholders, but that is disgusting. So fast forward many years and it came to me in a flash, quite literally. In a dream one night. I believe it is from God, since the bible says usury is unlawful. So here's to one little man's quest to free his fellow man as best he can! I hope I get it to fly, even if I don't make a dime from the idea, the thought of being able to help people rid themselves of the shackle of a mortgage gives me relentless optimism. :blush-anim-cl:

Do you know you can get a special rate with Telstra landlines that enables you to talk to a landline in RSA for $15 for the first half hour and then another half hour free? Well, you could in 2012, when I moved to Canberra.

If your landline phone is with them, give them a shout. I used to phone and talk to my Dad every week for an hour.

• Like 1

Well written, makes me very nervous for our journey ahead. But thanks. haha.

• Like 1

I do try and call more often, but my dad is old and his mobile is not attached to him like it is to young kids. :ilikeit:

Thanks for this post! I was looking around the forum for something that might help us when we go in a week's time. It will be our first trip to SA since we left. We made a 2 year rule to allow us to settle properly before going for a holiday.

My husband is worried he will have such a good holiday that he'll forget the bad times and constant sukkel and regret the move, but I'm hoping that along with the great times it will also be a reality check on how lucky we are to be able to live in Australia.

I'm already getting vibes from some family who don't like our itinerary because it doesn't suit them and some arranging get togethers with distant cousins who I literally have not seen or spoken to in 6 years so we've had to be firm with them but try not to be insensitive. At the end of the day it is our holiday and we want it to be a happy and relaxing one, spent doing things we enjoy and with people who are special to us. We will see my family in 6 months at my brothers wedding in America so our friends are definitely our priority because it could be another two years before we see them again.

I'm really excited - I'll report back!

• Like 2

Thanks for your story Brid I really enjoyed that. We are going visiting a South Africa in Dec after two years - will probably have to face the same emotions!

Hi All,

Sorry for the late post, but its been a busy week. We went back for the 1st time in almost 10 years last December, I was very nervous about going (for all the usual reasons) I found everything as I expected, power outages, bad roads etc etc. But, it was nice to see some very dear family and friends again. My son (7) got to see all the 'wild' animals' he'd asked about (and we didn't get to Kruger, but I can live with that). He got to meet cousins he'd only skyped and even ride a mini off-road motor bike (which he eventually loved). I'm very grateful I could give him these memories.

So all in all I'm glad we went, BUT, I was very happy to be back home in Perth after just 15 days or so. I found the background stress everyone tells you about very real and found myself back in the habit of sizing up everyone I saw around me as potential threats (I know crazy), the 7 foot fences an arms everywhere etc. I saw a municipal strike in Dullstroom, (small dorp in what used to be North East transvaal)! the place was a complete mess, rubbish strewn all over the one main road of the town (which depends on tourism for income).

I had the opportunity to talk to good friends who are still there, I can say that most were pretty negative about the 'state of the nation'. I got the impression they would leave if they could. Some were more optimistic and want to stay and re-build a new South Africa, I'm not convinced that anything done to address the many, many issues in South Africa can be done in time to change the outlook for my friends and even their children. Just my view.

So, in a nutshell, I'm glad we went, but it will take very great deal of persuasion to drag me back again. I'd much rather pay for Gran et al to come visit us.

Peace my friends

J

• Like 6