Unabridged birth certificates for adults

MonDU

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for Home Affairs to issue unabridged birth certificates for adults? We (my husband and I) applied for ours a month ago and when we phoned to find out the progress they said it could take 2 to 3 months or even longer? Does it really take that long?? I wish I knew that we needed these when we started thinking about migrating as then we could have applied for them long ago. Now that is holding up the whole process...

Thanks!!

I think it depends which Home Affairs you applied at. The waiting time for the Port Elizabeth DoHA is 6-8 weeks though.

It's meant to take 8 weeks max. But you need to constantly hound them. I had to fight for over 8 months to get mine. :(

I used a guy by the name of Arno Steynberg - 082 524 9909; acsteynberg@mweb.co.za ; 012 991 1437

Everything was done electronically and the document was couriered to us. I applied on the 2nd of April and received it via courier on the 24th April. It costs about R1000 but well worth it. May be give him a try if you're wanting to speed up the process

T'sMom

Just a thought.. If I were you, I would learn from this unfortunate event. I would apply for unabridged versions of all my other documents. Even if I didn't need them right now. One day, you may.

Hi all,

thanks for the advice! I really hope it does not take 8 months!! We applied at Heidelberg in Joburg. They seem quite organized but I think the application is sent off to a different place and that is where the delay comes in.... We also applied for our unabridged marriage certificate at the same time, in case. What else might we need in future?

Just feeling a bit frustrated as we cannot do the application without the certificates, so I feel like we have not really started yet:-(

Thanks a mil!

Hi Mon

I did mine in Pinetown in Durban, went myself to home affairs, filled in the docs, paid the R70 odd and 10 days later received an SMS saying it was ready. My Vault copy however is taking a little longer.

Hi there,

Have you called the call centre and obtained a case number? If so call the following number

Director General
DG Mkuseli Apleni
mkuseli.apleni@dha.gov.za This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa

Tell him you are having issues with getting your UBC and he will direct in the right path. I got mine out in 2 days by contracting one of the ministers directly.

I did mine through a guy called dean waited 4 weeks, paid half as deposit and balance once he send me proof, then he Fedex the original. All for about R1400. Contact him at certificates@telkomsa.net

Thanks a lot for all your info. It has now been 5 weeks since we applied. I will try calling the call centre for a case number... Not sure if any of these agents can assist if one has already applied and waiting?

Thanks again! Let's hope we get it soon!

With DOH it's difficult to know. My UBC was ready within the 8 weeks quoted, but my husband's took very long, and then we finally found out that they had lost his original records, so we had to "Register a Birth Late" ..hahaha....not. But then it was really quick.

I'd also recommend getting your PCC if you are close to applying for your visa, because if it runs smoothly it's fine, but if there is a mistake (which they make) then it can also take some time to sort out.

Good luck!

Oh and definitely phone them! My dad almost had a passport destroyed because the system kept saying it was not ready, while in fact it had been ready for weeks.

Police Clearance Certificate. Helpful hint - when applying for your police clearance certificate, you need to attach a copy of your marraige certificate to the application, that is the only way they will put your maiden name on the certificate, which is essential, as the Australians wont accept it if it doesn't have your maiden name on it. For your husband, a copy of his ID book will suffice.

Go to the home affairs in Heidelberg you will be in and out there quick and it will take about 2 weeks fastest home affairs I know

Im told it doesn't matter which home affairs you visit because everything is processed in Pretoria anyway. It really seems to be a luck of the draw thing with Home Affairs. If I may offer some advice, when you call the call centre demand to speak to a supervisor, keep in mind that they will give you the run around, but stick to your guns. The supervisor will ask you to revisit a brach and get DHA-24 and DHA-288 forms for each applicant so get and complete those beforehand. They will tell you to email the forms in with the case number in the subject tab.

I did that and it took a week to get my documents afer waiting a year and 5 months. Hope this helps

All I can say is that back in the day (2002) it was hopeless getting anything from Roodepoort, but Randburg was pretty good.

I think it's pretty plain to see. Look at how many people are surprised and impressed at how quickly they receive their passports. I almost fell off my chair when I received a notification from home affairs stating my passports was ready for collection in just under 2 weeks. I think it's a simple case of inefficiency and incompetence in the department dealing with birth, marriage and death certificates. When I went to collection my marriage and birth certificates this week (the initial application was lodged on 11/11/2013) all the guys at the branch did was print it off their system. The branch that did my passport application (2 weeks) for me is the same brach that did my birth and marriage certificates (over a year).

We got ours in exactly one week including our Unabridged marriage certificate...

Klerksdorp Home Affairs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, it has now been 8 weeks since we applied for our Unabridged birth certificates at Heidelberg DHA and still no joy... We have obtained case numbers and I have e-mailed the guy suggested by Kimmykins... Let's hope... It is so frustrating as I just want to get the process going... At least we passed our IELTS tests so one less thing to do...

• 2 months later...

Wow, i must say, the plan is to apply for the UBC for my kids tomorrow at Centurion, but it never crossed my mind that my wife and i will also need to submit UBC applications for ourselves. I did not think it was needed....

Imagine how disappointed i would have been when trying to submit and i do not have it

Thanks for the valuable advice, this is really going to safe my butt

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Everybody,

I do hope there is someone that can help us. We applied on the 14 March 15 for unabridge birth and marrage certificates. At present DHA has notified us within the frist month after applying that the documents are ready except for my son's unabridge certificate. It is now 8 months later and cant get any answer out of DHA. We have a case nr and phone once a week to get feedback however the last entry made on there system was on the 20 Aug 15. To date nothing was done. We know the people by name already at the call centre and they cant help us any more. Can somebody help us please with a contact person at DHA which can experdite our request????

Thank you

Quintin

Hi Harm01

We've had exactly the same issue and after 7 months we eventually re-applied for our son's UBC. Still 2 weeks of the 6 left and hoping it pops out of the system then.

I also spoke to Bunnyhop and they can assist but only with a new application. Try and contact them.

Edited by AndreCarla

You should talk to Odendaal, she knows the forms by number now. They 'lost' her husband's records, then asked her to fill in the 'late registration of a birth' forms, then they 'didn't get those' so she handed them in again, and emailed and faxed and did just about everything short of shoving it up someone's nose... and they phone her: Hi, can you resubmit those forms at your local DHA?

But seriously, talk to her, get the emails as well. Maybe something will work.

No problem, just click on Odendaal :D