HELP!!!!!!!!!

Hi all ;):ilikeit::ilikeit:

Like most of you know my parents stay with me in South Africa

Just received the news that they not allowed to take them with me on a 457. ;):o:P:D:(

Does anybody know how long it takes to get PR once I'm in Aus????

Cause my agent said once I'm PR I can include them on my visa

Is there any suggestions or help anyone can help me with,I'm desperate now

Thanks

Willem :(

Hi Willem

I'm not sure how long PR takes but I if I remember from the other members here +-2 years.

When I looked at taking my parents with me there were not many options.

I got quite a few suggestions from other forum members. Unfortunately unless your parents are mega wealthy or you have PR there are not many otpions. I ended up looking into extending the visitors visa which can be extended or issued for a 12 month stay at a time. The plan was then to fly them to NZ or SA if need be and back in to Oz again for another 12 month application. My father is elderly and this flying back and forth thing is really not good but what can you do.

For sponsorship I believe that 50% of their children must live in Oz in order to ask for 'family reunion'. I think it was Bob that gave me the information to follow up.

I know that there are no guarantees that they will be issued with a 12 month visitor's visa but I could not find any other options.

All the best of luck

Caroline

Edited by Caroline

Dear Willem,

I suggest you contact Etienne Hugo, an immigration lawyer in Sydney who emigrated to Australia from South Africa in 1999. He is excellent and will help you wherever he can. He is very familiar with all the options and I suggest you contact him for assistance regarding your situation.

Etienne can be contacted on

Telephone: +61292868700

Fax: +612 92833323

Email: ehugo[at]ppilaw.com.au / ehugo[at]parishpatience.com.au

Good luck and keep us informed!

Pippa!

• 1 month later...

Hi Willem,

I agree with the rest here - the parent issue is a sad and difficult one, even if you have PR or citizenship. If they or you don't have stax of money it is quite difficult. See other threads on this forum - to see discussions on this as well. We are also stuck on this because we don't have a majority of children (3 children) over here to even start the process.

The contributory parent visa is the quickest way to get parents here but it does cost more. See http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/39contributory_parent.htm#visa for more details. Either way you need to "pass" the balance of family test and the following is a quote from the included link:

"Balance of family test:

All contributory parent category applicants must meet the ‘Balance of Family’ (BOF) test. This means the applicants must have:

at least half of their children living lawfully and permanently in Australia, or

more children living lawfully and permanently in Australia than in any other single country overseas.

Children of both parents are counted in the test, including any children of previous relationships or de facto relationships of either parent.

Children to be considered for the purpose of the BOF test include natural, adopted and step-children. This is irrespective of whether they are dependent, self-supporting, married, single or divorced.

The quality of the parent’s relationship with such children is not a relevant factor in this test.

The purpose of the test is to establish the nature of a parent’s ties to Australia and the support likely to be available from their children in Australia.

Some single, aged parents who do not meet the BOF test may be eligible under the Aged Dependent Relative category if they are able to prove that they have been, and continue to be, dependent on their relative (child) in Australia. "

Hope this helps

Cheers

C'bug

Willem

We moved to Oz on a 457 visa and then applied for PR. It took six months to the day from when our forms were submitted.

Leon

Hi Willem

Miskien moet jy vir Sheryn Leach kontak. Sy werk vir Challange recruitment en het vir Vossie gehelp om werk te kry. Toe ons laas gepraat het het sy gese ons kan dalk al na 3 maande aansoek doen vir PR.

Haar e-mail is sleach[at]challengeltd.com. Sy is baie behulpsaam en is nogal skerp.

Mooi bly

Elmare